Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth opinions please!

(20 Posts)
nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 11:26:27

I am only 15 weeks pregnant, but have told my MW i want a home birth. My GP told me i couldn't have one, but have pressed the matter with my mw.

she has told me because i haven't totally stopped smoking, and because i;m obese (yes i did want to smack her one) my consultant at our local hospital won't allow me to deliver at home.

This will be my 4th baby, and my previous 3 where all delivered normally with no help appart from my first, which i was put on a drip as i had no contractions, but my waters had broken, and she had poohed, but i was 42 weeks.

I have had a look around the net, and have read i can insist on a home birth.

I feel in limbo at the moment, as i;ve only seen my mw once, and won't be going for my first scan until wednesday, so still not 100% sure of my due date.

Would love to hear of you guys of your birthing stories xxxx

MotherPanda Mon 03-Oct-11 11:38:12

It is always your choice!

look at www.homebirth.org.uk, which has a wonderful section about what to say to doctors who think they can tell you were to give birth...

Do look at the risks involved, and decide if the choice is right for you.

I had a beautiful homebirth 2 months ago, in a birth pool with scented candles and oil burners etc. No tears, only gas and air (wish i hadnt used that though - made me sick).

My daughter was born very alert,, and had a nine on the apgar score straight away. Midwives were lovely, made me a cup of tea, cleared up and when they left me, dh and dd all went to have a cuddle and a rest in bed.

I just told my midwife that i was having a homebirth at every appointment, as they were reluctant with me as it was my first. but the community midwives love attending a good homebirth apparently.

sorry - am breastfeeding as i type, so not very good typing. but good luck!

sanityseeker Mon 03-Oct-11 11:54:56

I have had three home births which i am really pleased about however - the first two home births were easy ,natural , and beauitiful experiences . the last HB was hard work my son's shoulders got stuck as he was quite large (over 10 pounds) and he struggled to breathe at first and his initial apgar score low.This was very scary , the midwifes encouraged me to mov e postions from on my back to my side and then finally all fours where i eventually got him out.i have had 2 hospital births (not so great) and then my 3 HB's ,
i am pregnant again now and am 36 weeks - i will go into hospital this despite reservations this time for my own piece of mind.After my experience i do not feel the confidence that i felt previously .mostly because we live 40 mins form the nearsest hospital and this bother's me in an emergency sitauation.
if you are close to a hospital then i would listen to all the "risk's" do your own research and make an informed choice.HB Can be a really amazing experience good luck

nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 11:57:11

thanks honey, and a big well done for having a homebirth with your first!

My parents think i;m mad, but hasn't really got anything to do with my dad as he lives 25 miles away! my mom wants me to have a hospital birth, so i can 'have a rest' but i don't want to leave my other 3, and as my odest is 13, she will be a great help, and so wants to be with me, when her new sibling arrives.

My husband is sure either, but the mw was ment to speak to him, when she came out, but 'forgot' her books, when she came!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 03-Oct-11 11:59:27

In my area they don't like homebirths. They cannot refuse them and they know it so instead they tell you their policy on homebirths is that you can only have them if you agree to do it completely 'naturally'. They don't even supply gas and air.

nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 12:00:38

sorry sanityseeker, didn't see your reply!

We live about 20 min from our local hospital, and would so dread me going into labour during rush hour!

I totally understand all the pro's and cons, but will def be speaking to my mw again, and asking her to explain them, to my husband x

nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 12:01:34

omg starlightMcKenzie, where about do you live? i couldn't give birth without gas and air lol

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 03-Oct-11 13:49:50

East herts.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 03-Oct-11 13:50:48

I haven't been entirely honest. They agree to a small canister that lasts 20 minutes (for the end bit) with a warning that if you suck too hard it will only last 10 minutes.

nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 14:19:41

i think i'd be up for murder lol, but saying that, with my second i was only in the hospital 35 minutes, before having him, and my last one i was only 18 minutes lol x

BadDayAtTheOrifice Mon 03-Oct-11 14:33:24

The concept of anyone 'not allowing' you is ridiculous. Would they come to your house and forcably remove you? I don't think so.
You are perfectly within your rights to birth where you choose. It maybe that your BMI is higher than the trust guidelines recommend for homebirth but should in no way 'risk you out'.
It is not up to the midwife, GP or consultant to dictate where you birth.
Give your maternity hospital a call and ask to speak to a supervisor of midwives to discuss your case.

nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 14:39:20

thanks you. I have lost 4lb in the last 2 weeks, so i;m going in the right direction. I;m 14 stone 11lb, and my ideal weight should be 9stone 9lb, but, i don't look obese!

I;ve got an appointment with my 'consultant' next thursday, so will see what he/she says, but have been told today, the mw i saw, nearly 4 weeks ago, isn't going to be my mw, she was just filling in as my mw was on her hols.

gallicgirl Mon 03-Oct-11 14:51:07

The decision doesn't have to be made until much later so you've time to show you can control your weight and cease smoking.

I had HB for my first and it was great. I was allowed as much gas and air as I needed (3 cannisters) and the CMWs were very supportive.

Read up, do your research and make contingency plans. Although hospital might be 20 minutes for you driving, I bet it's much quicker on blue lights. Mind you, a good MW will spot any problems in well in advance so there shouldn't be any need for an emergency situation.

Good luck.

Jdub Mon 03-Oct-11 14:59:46

I would have been keen to have home births for both my sons, but our house was a building site the first time round and the second time, I went into labour 6 weeks early so the decision was taken out of my hands. It would have been wonderful, and go with it if you are comfortable, but also maintain flexibility if circumstances beyond your control dictate

nickymills Mon 03-Oct-11 16:19:50

Thanks ladies. Of course, the most important person here is bump, and if she/he (hopfully she lol) decides to come early, or i need hospital intervention, then i will go into hospital xx

sanityseeker Tue 04-Oct-11 09:50:21

good for you , you sound very sensible. i really love giving birth at home but just do not have the confidence this time so off to hospital we go.midwifes can be reluctant , they are worried about if things go wrong they will get sued, which is so sad.one midwife "forgot" my gas and air but i managed , although when she told me no gas and air i paniced lol, also you can get a pethidine prescription from your g.p that the mid wife can administer at home birth as a real back up - i did this but did not use it but it was nice to know i hadit there.
just keep your options open.
take care xxxxxx

Loopymumsy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:28:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

architien Wed 05-Oct-11 17:44:52

I had a HB think year and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I went through some awful behaviour from my MW but then on the day I had two great MWs and it was over from waters breaking to cup of tea and child feeding" within two hours as I was so comfortable and able to get on with the labour in my own way.

They tell you that you're high risk because of you being obese. Ok well let's look at the risk factors e.g. pregnancy diabetes and rule them out. Once you've ruled out most of these things then you can satisfy yourself as to your perceived risk in hospital or home. You listen to what they have to say but make your own decision.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

nickymills Thu 06-Oct-11 06:46:22

Thanks architien!

Had my scan yesterday, and the mw there, has said they encourage home births, i told her my gp has said no, and that my mw had said not really due to my weight and smoking, i then told her i had done some research about 'my rights' she laughed and said 'well done you' but, the hospital is in the west midlands, and i come under south staffordshire, she's not sure how south staffs are about home births, but, i know who to contact now, got another mw appointment in the next few days, so will speak with her.

architien Thu 06-Oct-11 09:12:44

PM me if you ever need more help and I'll always do my best. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now