Talk

Advanced search

Second Labour - 'real' contractions v BH? You would think I would know eh?!

(47 Posts)
Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:07:02

Hi Knowledgeable ladies,

I am 41 + 3 with DC 2. After thinking I would need to be put in the circus as the lady who was pregnant forever, I woke up this morning with what I can only describe as non painful tightening. They have been v sporadic during the day. Now they seem to be getting stronger but no more regular. Now, I can remember contractions from the first time round hurting like holy buggery. These feel a bit sharp, but nowhere like last time.

Am I just more resilient to pain? Is this my uterus taking the p1ss? Please give me some hope that this may be real......

Thanks in advance!!!

largeginandtonic Sun 02-Oct-11 19:10:11

It probably is kicking off. Saying that i had a few days of this at certain times and the it would all vanish again.

Tbh it happens alot to me and i tend to ignore the first signs of labour because of this. That isn't helpful is it? grin

Go to bed. If you go to sleep and wake tomorrow it is nowt. If it wakes you up it is real and you will have had a kip for energy needed later.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:12:21

Thanks largeginandtonic. You are probably right, but its Spooks at 9 - childbirth or not, I am not missing that. Bed straight after probably though!

gapants Sun 02-Oct-11 19:16:09

Could be, sounds like it is...exciting!! Have a couple of paracetamol and I would even have a small glass of vino and try and get a full nights rest. If you have a tens machine, look it out incase you feel the need to stick it on later in the night.

I think maybe your body, knowing what to do the second time around, might be gearing up and by the time you get to the hospital you will be 8cm dialated without even noticing. grin

I am 38 weeks pregnant with number 2, so what I wrote above is my birth plan.... her is hoping.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:18:03

Like the positivity gapants - thank you. Medicinal vino and spooks it is! smile My tens machine is sat looking at me, dont want to jump the gun!!

largeginandtonic Sun 02-Oct-11 19:20:39

Go with gapants she is far more positive than me grin

It could be though couldn't it? You might be snuggling your baby by the end of Spooks!

chinateacup Sun 02-Oct-11 19:20:40

Sounds like something's brewing smile I had a much easier time of it second time round ...
Spooks and sleep! Fingers crossed and good luck.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:28:51

Thanks v much. Just swore through one, which DH says cant be BH. I have a mouth like a sewer at the best of times though! smile

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:29:50

China - were your earlier contractions less painful than first time round?

gapants Sun 02-Oct-11 19:34:23

Time them, and maybe see if you can give them a score out of 10, you know 10 for maximum pain, 1 for a hmm what was that? If you are anything above a 5, call the labour ward and have a chat with the MW.

Tens machine, yes maybe see if you can wait a bit. Bath before spooks? Pilates ball, have a wee bounce to distract?

Have you had a show? Or been for a few number 2s?

Wow, a live labour, you better still type for us when you are crowning! grin

largeginandtonic Sun 02-Oct-11 19:36:53

Swearing always a good sign.

Changing positions or maybe having a bath would tell you. If they are still there then it is probably the real thing. Everything that happens now is doing something though remember. No pain is wasted.

Come over to my name thread and distract yourself.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 19:46:00

No show yet (well a tiny bit, but not like the mucus mound with DD), but my midwife said that not all multips have one cos they never fully close up (multips os or something) yuk (and possibly made up so I didnt jump out of the window at my antenatal appointment). Yes on the number 2s (yuk again!). Thanks for the advice largeginandtonic - bath a super idea!

LifeOfKate Sun 02-Oct-11 20:00:54

Well, hate to panic you, but my 'tightenings' were real contractions the second time and DD was born only 2 hours after they started grin I only started swearing about an hour before, when we got into hospital. I wouldn't have gone yet, but my waters broke so they told me to go in, if they hadn't, she probably would have been born at home!! This was all after a 25 hour labour with DS where I had an epidural and was pushing for 90 mins...

discrete Sun 02-Oct-11 20:02:45

With ds2 I was saying it was just braxton hicks until a couple of hours before he was born....and when he was born I had just thought 'oh, feels like if I pushed now my waters might break and then we can get going' I pushed, and he literally shot out (fortunately I was in water so he was OK).

Only got about 20 mins in the birth pool.....

gapants Sun 02-Oct-11 21:05:43

op how are you feeling? Still with us? hope everything is going well.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 21:18:03

hiya, getting a bit more painful now. still quite far apart though. Dimitri in spooks keeping me distracted! smile

gapants Sun 02-Oct-11 21:19:57

Ohhh exciting, please keep us posted.

Am saving spooks for when I have babe in arms and BF in bed.

iskra Sun 02-Oct-11 21:23:34

My BH turned out to be contractions with number 2... Started noticing them at 6, only realised it was labour at 9 when my waters broke, DD2 born at 11.30. Good luck!

ilovedjasondonovan Sun 02-Oct-11 21:24:08

Likewise with another poster. My contrations with dd2 weren't very strong andI ended up having a surprise homebirth in our downstairs toilet as I didn't realise I was so close to giving birth. 2 squeezes (no pushing) and she was out. And I only live 1 mile from the hospital.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Sun 02-Oct-11 21:45:14

thanks guys - ill keep u updated! Fingers crossed!

largeginandtonic Sun 02-Oct-11 21:49:46

Hurrah! Lot's of luck. Will check back in the morning smile

Gapants how long have you got left?

GracieGirl Sun 02-Oct-11 21:54:41

Good luck MrsFoxy!! My BH with number 1 turned out to be the real thing, I wouldn't have gone to hospital but my waters broke so i went in for a check up and DD appeared soon after getting in the pool.

Pregnant with no 2 now so slightly nervous about giving birth in the car or somewhere silly!

May the force be with you!!!

ShowOfHands Sun 02-Oct-11 22:03:45

Good luck.

My waters broke 4 weeks ago with dc2 and I was having what I assumed were braxton hicks. I went straight to hospital (risk of cord prolapse as ds was still high) and was monitored. Was having strong contractions lasting over a minute, coming every 3 minutes but they were nowhere near as painful as first time round. Definitely contractions though. Useless contractions but contractions nonetheless.

Fantasticmrsfoxy Mon 03-Oct-11 00:08:03

Well, Tens machine on. They are starting to hurt so fingers crossed they keep going. I really want to meet my little man!!

GracieGirl Mon 03-Oct-11 01:39:17

Good luck MrsFoxy!! no doubt that it's labour now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now