Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Help! Should I have a sweep today?

(7 Posts)
Fantasticmrsfoxy Fri 30-Sep-11 08:30:31

Hello! I am currently 41 plus 1 with DC 2 and no movement yet....I have a midwife appointment this afternoon and and am wondering whether I should go for a sweep or not? I had one with DD and I remember it was horrid and swore I wouldnt have another (well, it worked though....) but now Im staring induction in the face (hospital would love to get me in 10 days post EDD...) I wonder whether this is the lesser of two evils. Someone make my decision for me...Thanks smile

Truffleshuffler Fri 30-Sep-11 08:35:08

Go for it Mrs foxy, I had one and it wasn't too bad.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 30-Sep-11 09:04:12

I've not had one but I've heard lots of women say its not too bad. And quite a few have said the more uncomfortable, the more chance you've got of it working. Hope baby is with you soon

cookie9 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:06:19

Get them to measure your bishops score first? If below 3 then unlikely to do much. Good luck

Purplebuns Fri 30-Sep-11 21:50:16

Lesser of two evils definitely, the sweep doesn't involve putting chemical in you to jump start. The sweep is just an encouragement.

breatheslowly Sat 01-Oct-11 18:45:48

I wouldn't do what I did and let the MW rummage around for about 10 min before announcing that she couldn't reach. Cookie's suggestion sounds about right.

Indaba Sun 02-Oct-11 22:03:59

I had lots of sweeps with all three of mine. None worked. Was induced with all 3 (and each induction was fab by the way).

But I do remember with second child, had been waiting ages and man in uniform wandered in and I asked excitedly if he was going to do the sweep....he looked away and explained he was a porter just there to collect a piece of equipment blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: