Talk

Advanced search

Positive ELCS Stories please!

(17 Posts)
miamama09 Thu 29-Sep-11 16:36:48

Does anyone have any positive stories of ELCS? There are so many risks and warnings you get told of, just want to hear something positive for a change!

seoladair Thu 29-Sep-11 18:41:31

Yes, mine was fab. Joyful and pain-free, with a very quick recovery. I was warned about how risky it was until it was agreed that I could have one. Then I kept being told that it was an incredibly safe procedure!

EsmeWeatherwax Thu 29-Sep-11 18:48:54

I had one for dd2, was really great, was taken in first thing, very quick op, seemed like I was back in about five minutes after I left! Dd2 was fine too, skin to skin in recovery, breast fed straight away. All in all a lovely positive experience. I'm even having another one in four months time, not worried about it at all.

Nevercan Thu 29-Sep-11 20:30:23

I had one for dd2 after a EMCS for dd1. It was a very calm experience and no hours of labour to contend with. Back on the ward 45 mins later - all a bit surreal smile

drcrab Thu 29-Sep-11 20:48:37

I had one for DS as had placenta praevia. Rolled into hospital at 7, met consultant, midwives etc, got gowned up, tagged. Walked into theatre, gave them our cd to play. Spinal in at 9, incision at 9.17, DS out at 9.25. Back in room all sewed up at 10. smile

Helzapoppin Thu 29-Sep-11 21:21:48

Very positive ELCS experience for us seven weeks ago. The whole thing was calm and relaxed, I was given excellent care afterwards and was out the next day. No real pain, just discomfort.

I would say, make sure that you have plenty of help lined up for when you get out of hospital, for a few weeks if possible. I had a very fast recovery with my first CS, but this one took a little longer (feel fine seven weeks on though) and I really appreciated the help.

MrsKwazii Thu 29-Sep-11 21:31:29

I had an ELCS with D2. Was a wonderful experience, so much calmer and easier. I felt a lot better able to cope with a newborn baby not having gone through a long labour, and while breastfeeding took a couple of extra days to establish it was all fine.

The recovery was painful at times and I had to be very careful not to overdo it so that I would recover well, but was back driving after three weeks. I had help at home for four weeks too which really helped.

D2 was also a lot calmer and more settled as a newborn than D1, which I put down in some ways to her easier birth. May just be that she has a different nature of course.

Hope all goes really well for you. And, if they give you the choice, do pick your own music to be played in the operating theatre. Having D2 born to the strains of "Mambo Number Five" was rather odd grin.

Good luck!

Meglet Thu 29-Sep-11 21:36:40

Mine was fine smile. (although I did have an EMCS with my first).

Very nervous going to theatre, crying a bit blush, midwife held my hand until I was prepped and XP came in. The theatre staff were lovely and chatty during the op, saw the placenta, had skin to skin (bit tricky TBH).

Recovery not too bad, no problems with bf. In hospital for 3 days, got the midwives to help me a lot and did bugger all at home for at least 2 weeks grin.

Off paracetamol by day 10, but I did rest a lot which helped.

You'll be fine, they will have done thousands of ops between them. Just make sure you rest afterwards, even if you have to be a bit of a diva and get the midwives to do the nappies.

MrsKwazii Thu 29-Sep-11 21:49:31

Oh yes! Not having to change black-tar nappies as you can't really move. Big bonus for first day or so wink

miamama09 Fri 30-Sep-11 09:41:10

Thanks everyone! I think it seems to be one of those things were you get told all the scary stories and risks involved, then when they decide to give you one, they probably tell you it's perfectly safe and nothing to worry about!

Is it harder to BF after an ELCS? I had EMCS with DD1, and struggled with BF-ing, but assumed this time I would know what I was doing so it might be, not easier, but come more naturally?

Also, had a quick recovery after EMCS, does it sometimes take longer after ELCS or does it just vary from person to person?

Thanks for all your answers!

ShowOfHands Fri 30-Sep-11 09:49:52

I've had two EMCS so not even calm, electives with no labour. They were both just fine. Last one was 4 weeks ago tomorrow. DS born at 3.30pm, was up in my chair eating toast and drinking tea at 6pm. Was fully mobile, canula out, catheter out and happily caring for dd a couple of hours later. Needed no pain relief and the only discomfort was from trapped wind which caused shoulder tip pain. Couple of cups of peppermint water got rid of that though.

BFing has been fine both times too.

Listen to your body, get up as soon as you're able but do the amount you feel able to and no more.

The only difference this time round was that they give you a 7 day course of blood thinners to inject once home as a preventative measure against dvt. Your hospital should do this, ask if they don't do it automatically.

GibberingGinger Fri 30-Sep-11 09:58:05

I was classed as a EMCS in that it was before my booked ELCS (waters broke) but in reality as I wasn't contracting it was a ELCS. Was great. Very calm. Recovery was good too.
The only downside was that I was nil by mouth before the operation, and then they kept on bumping me for emergencys that needed the theatre. Was STARVING by the time they actually got me into theatre. But that's only a small niggle though.

Jules125 Fri 30-Sep-11 18:43:14

Another positive story - all felt very relaxed and calm and never really felt anxious. No real pain during or after, recovered very quickly (first 24-36 hours are a bit rough though - but could be after any birth), out running again 4-5 weeks later feeling good! They have to tell you the risks but with electives they are really very small.

dottynosleep Fri 30-Sep-11 21:43:34

I've had three electives & they were wonderful! All were scheduled early because of my medical condition but the babies have been fine - no problems breastfeeding & had skin to skin in theatre. They've all been born around 10am & I've been up and showered on the same evening. The worst pain I've had was from afterpains (with number three & four).

They've all been medically/surgically straight forward & I haven't had any complications (bleeding etc) from the electives nor any problem from having had four sections in total (consultant says my uterus is still in great condition! wink )

Yama Fri 30-Sep-11 21:47:56

Yes, I've had two. Breastfeeding within minutes.

Only thing I would advise is to remember that it is surgery so stay in your pj's when you get home to emphasise that you cannot do any housework.

PrincessScrumpy Sat 01-Oct-11 08:18:41

I found recovery from vb for dd1 really difficult to recover from, my cs 4 weeks ago for twins was so much better and emotionally I feel fab. I was painfree after about 8 days and the pain was bearable - probably did too much as I was up and down to SCBU. I am also breast feeding well despite cs and babies in SCBU.

dreamalittle Sun 02-Oct-11 22:20:04

Mine was fab, too! Calm and quick. Recovery was fine. DD took to breastfeeding straight away.

Definitely agree on taking your own background music - DD was born to 'Sex on Fire' by Kings of Leon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now