Talk

Advanced search

Birth injury - cephalohaemotoma - anyone experienced this?

(5 Posts)
TotallyKerplunked Tue 27-Sep-11 01:02:07

Hi, i'm a noob (although been lurking for a while), I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section/too long/rambling.

My DS is 4 weeks old and was born with a cephalohaemotoma (a large lump on the right-rear of his head). I'm a bit concerned as it doesn't seem to be going down, it continued to get bigger for the first week and now its gone hard! Each time i've asked any of the medical professionals about it they just fob me off with "it will go soon" but i'd like to hear from anyone whose DC's had one just to find out how long they had it and if it truly completely disappeared. Been feeling a bit crap about it as the HV basically blamed me for the injury, said I caused it when I pushed when I shouldn't have sad

emjay33 Tue 27-Sep-11 09:54:54

My DS1 was born with one almost 18yrs ago (except I wasn't told what it was called!)..and from what I remember and his baby pictures it took about 4 -6 wks to go down and yes it disappeared completely..I would say that it would depend on how big it is as to how long it will take to go down.

So sorry to hear how yr insensitive HV has made you feel so bad tho..I was told that my DS's was caused by his head engaging so early before birth (4wks) and it was the pressure from that.

My DD was born face up and she had some pressure swelling on the front of her head from being pushed against me during labour but that went down within an hour or so..so IMO for something to be as long lasting as yr DS has then it has to have been something that has taken a while to form..so hence not your fault at all. As mums we have enough guilt that we put on ourselves without insensitive health professionals trying to put more on us.

HTH smile xx

TotallyKerplunked Tue 27-Sep-11 11:39:56

Hi

Thanks for that, its good to know it wont be there forever.

My DS engaged very early so his bump could have been caused by that and not the pushing. HV comment was a bit poor considering she knew nothing about my birth experience (baby distressed and on way to EMCS), if I hadn't got him out when I did I might not have had a healthy baby.

maldivemoment Tue 27-Sep-11 20:55:39

Hi there

Rarely post but didn't want you to go unanswered. I was you almost 2 years ago and know how worrying it can be. Our little one was also born with a cephalohaemotoma. I was told he was at slightly the wrong angle so all my pushing kind of made it worse as he was being pushed into my pelvis rather than the lovely smooth route he should have taken! (Just out of interest, does this sound correct to those experts out there?) Finally required episiotomy.

However, little one arrived safe and well, if a little bruised! I don't remember it going hard - it just remained a bit spongy then gradually disappeared over 4 or so weeks (from what I can remember of those hazy newborn days!) And yes, it has completely disappeared.

Please don't be hard on yourself. Just cuddle up with your little one and enjoy all the nuzzling...

MM

fannybaws Tue 27-Sep-11 22:33:52

Hi OP please do not blame yourself!! My DS4 had two, one on each side and he was a very gentle waterbirth, if a bit fast.
The cephalo bit means head and haematoma is a bruise, because of where it is the body takes a while to deal with it usually 6 weeks to 3 months but it will disappear on its own.
It sounds like you did a BRILLIANT job of birthing your LO well done x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now