Talk

Advanced search

does water birth prevent tearing/stitches?

(13 Posts)
mamaesi Mon 26-Sep-11 13:29:49

please tell me your experiences with water births..

this is my second pregnancy so I am considering using the birthing pool. I reckon I may be able to manage with just gas and air and am wondering if the water helps prevent tearing as this is my biggest fear/worry.

the idea of stitches don there puts me over the edge and as i didnt have them the first time, I am trying to work out what i can do to try to avoid them this time.

wishingforsleep Mon 26-Sep-11 19:01:19

I had 2 water births, and an on the bed birth all of which with no tears or stitches. Water births definately help as it is all lubricated. It helps with the pain a bit too. Baby comes out all calm and clean, which is a bonus. I was disappointed when the pool was in use for my third. Also, i ate loads of pineapple and took raspberry leaf tablets towards the end of each pregnancy. Anything to avoid stitches is worth a try!

PinkFondantFancy Wed 28-Sep-11 06:14:15

I had a waterbirth and had a small second degree tear which didn't need stitches. TBH I've heard the water can reduce the risk of tearing but whether or not you tear on the day isn't within your control. Perineal massage is something else you could try to refuse your chances of tearing

CrazyAlien06 Thu 29-Sep-11 01:21:09

Hi I had my baby yday in water and had to have stitches sad but I think that had a lot to do with her whole body coming out in one go not the head first then the rest! Ouch

PinkFondantFancy Thu 29-Sep-11 02:12:17

crazy same thing happened to me!! Weird!

marylou242 Thu 29-Sep-11 21:10:32

mamaesi I've heard two different theories about birthing pools. One is that it keeps things lubricated and stops tears. The other is that your skin can become waterlogged (a bit like wet paper) and tear more easily. I'm not sure which is correct and haven't asked a midwife yet. Like you, I'm hoping to use it for baby 2 which is due soon. If you didn't have stitches the first time I bet you'll be fine the second time.

strawberrie Fri 30-Sep-11 13:01:04

I gave birth in the pool to my second baby with only gas and air for pain relief; he was 9lb 10 oz and I only had 1 small tear - I did have a couple of stitched but the midwife said that was only because I had a PPH with my first birth; had it not been for the PPH she would have just left it to heal naturally.

Good luck - I am complete convert to waterbirths after my experience, it was a million miles away from my first birth and I found the water to be really effective pain relief.

Bumpsandmore Fri 30-Sep-11 16:36:32

Waterbirth can reduce the risk of tearing as everything goes a bit softer in the water, mums tend to be upright and kneeling taking pressure off the perineum, plus mum births her baby slower and with her own instincts when compared to mums who birth on dry land! Water is great for pain relief even if you do not plan to birth in the pool.

Give it a try - if you don't like it you can always get out! smile

Purplebuns Fri 30-Sep-11 21:48:38

Perineal massage seems to really help with tearing, interesting to hear about waterbirths as I hope to have one in March.

Littlefish Fri 30-Sep-11 21:53:00

I had a waterbirth, and had a really nasty "Y" shaped tear which needed lots of stitches. However, I think it might have been more to do with the fact that I only did two (extremely large) pushes before she was out!

In spite of the tearing, my waterbirth was absolutely wonderful. I felt safe, warm, in control and powerful. smile

pacsirta Fri 30-Sep-11 22:14:26

I had my baby in water, I went in at 6cm dilated, and it made the process more comfortable, I was very motivated and determined to have my baby in the water as I wanted to avoid tearing, but had to come out (advised by midwife) after a few hours of VERY SLOW progress, and do some pushing on a birthing stool (which was in contrast very UNcomfortable!). The baby started moving, so quickly SPLASH back into the pool... baby was born very calmly (she was calm, I wasn't...), sort of swam out, in fact she was so still, I was a bit scared whether everything was OK, but thank GOODNESS she was healthy as anything. I did have a couple of small tears inside the vagina, which required a few stiches, no lasting damage and healed very well. Good luck with your birth! :-)

highheelsandequations Sat 01-Oct-11 17:29:53

I had a water birth, tore and needed stitches, still loved being in the water though and would definitely do it again.

ParkerRocks Sat 01-Oct-11 17:40:41

I had a water birth earlier this year. It was a fantastic experience after a previous very traumatic birth. If I had another baby I would definitely go for a water birth again. I felt really in control of what was happening and DD was born after only 3 pushes. Both of us very calm and it was lovely to lift her to the surface myself. I felt as if I had done it all myself which, after the amount of intervention required first time around, was really lovely. I did tear but it was only a small tear which needed just a few stitches and I was able to leave hospital just 3 hours after! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now