Talk

Advanced search

Where to give birth?

(7 Posts)
LilBB Sat 24-Sep-11 21:35:21

basically I want to know can I choose which hospital I give birth in? Don't want to out myself so I hope this makes sense. Im moving house soon and would fall under hospital X. I had my DC1 at hospital Y and had a very positive experience. All my family live in the same town as Y. Where we are moving is equal distance from X and Y (20 minutes). So can I request that I give birth in hospital Y even though I don't live in the area that falls under it? There is a midwife led unit 5 minutes from where we are moving but I'm not sure I feel comfortable going there although I am going to have a look round.

Harecare Sat 24-Sep-11 21:38:21

Speak to your midwife, but I'm fairly certain you can choose.

lollystix Sat 24-Sep-11 21:46:14

I think you could. I know I could ask to have my next hospital which is 15 miles away as opposed to 5 minutes away if I wanted.

AtYourCervix Sat 24-Sep-11 21:52:13

you can choose wherever you want - just ask your GP to refer you there for your maternity care.

worth checking out hospital x and the birth unit too though. nice to have different options.

Withwoman Tue 27-Sep-11 11:35:37

Homebirth? Why go in at all if all things are normal!

LilBB Tue 27-Sep-11 18:45:26

I really don't want a homebirth. It's not for me. I'm not even sure I feel comfortable being at a midwife led unit that's not attached to a maternity hospital unit.

hauntyharry Tue 27-Sep-11 19:32:34

When I got pregnant I had the choice of about 5 diff hospitals and was told I could have a look round them but I already knew I wanted the one that was closest to my family. So I think you can choose what you want really. I am with you on homebirths. You never know what can happen and I feel the hospital is the best place to be for both you and the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now