Talk

Advanced search

Numb sensation post C-Section

(16 Posts)
chorltonandthewheelies Sat 24-Sep-11 09:44:47

I had my elective C-Section 12 days ago, all went well except for the fact that the first cut was through the placenta (anterior Placenta) so it was a bit messy. My scan about 10 days before hadn't shown low lying placenta so it was a shock. I was taken to theatre very quickly after arriving at hospital as I had gone into labour and was dilating, baby was breech.

My beautiful little girl Charlotte is doing fantastic grin, and we were home after 48 hours as recovery was fine. I am also on very low dose intermittent painkillers now. This is my 4th baby but only C-Section, and I am surprised how well I feel.

However I just wondered if it was normal to have a very numb sensation above the wound and on my stomach?, it feels like when you've been at the dentist and the jag starts to wear off. If its normal when/if does normal sensation come back? Forgot to mention it to midwife and wasnt sure if it was worth mentioning to Health Visitor.

ArthurPewty Sat 24-Sep-11 09:45:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soniaweir Sat 24-Sep-11 12:39:32

yes that sounds very normal. i've had 2 c sections and you do get most of the feeling back but it never comes back fully although you hardly notice it. It is a strange feeling and you described it brilliantly! remember they have cut through your nerves so they have to grow back/mend!

Meglet Sat 24-Sep-11 12:43:21

Very normal. Mine's still a bit numb 3 years on.

QTPie Sat 24-Sep-11 18:44:52

Yes, I have had one C Section (ELCS for breech) and that was January 2010. I had numbness above me scar on the righthandside (not the left) from the scar to about an inch above. The numbness lasted a few months, but decreased and disappeared over time. I am pretty sure that it was all gone by 12 months after birth (certainly haven't remembered having it for some condierable time - DS 20 months tomorrow).

AM sure it is very normal.

MarKettle Sat 24-Sep-11 20:03:47

I also had this after my caesarean - completely numb from the incision to my belly button. Gradually got sensation back from the top down, took about 12 months for it to all come back completely.
My Mum had told me she had it after both of her caesareans so I was prepared for it, but no one else had mentioned it to me beforehand! It makes sense when you consider the nerve damage etc but recovery times differ from person to person

HappyAsASandboy Sat 24-Sep-11 20:28:37

I had this too - about an inch above and below the scar, all the way across.

I dint know when the numbness stopped, but it isn't numb now! My CS was 11 months ago. It definitely lasted three months or more though.

I hope you regain normal feeling again too.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 24-Sep-11 20:35:41

Mine was numb too and I was one of the lucky ones that had all sensation return.

ByTheWay Sat 24-Sep-11 20:44:02

Me too - my feeling came back gradually after about 4 years..

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 24-Sep-11 20:46:26

Congratulations on the safe arrival of beautiful Charlotte smile.

I have had two c-sections and experienced exactly the same numbness you describe, but feelings did come back eventually.

I am quite sure there is nothing to worry about.

hellymelly Sat 24-Sep-11 20:49:24

I was totally numb from the waist to the scar,but it gradually came back.Same after second CS although it hasn't ever gone back to normal ,I'm still numb in places,more one side than the other and worse close to the scar. My last cs was four years ago.

stripedcat Sat 24-Sep-11 21:37:50

sounds completely normal - I still feel numb 3 and a half years later

Chynah Sat 24-Sep-11 21:38:02

I have had 2 ELCS. Was numb after the first above the scar - can't remember how long it lasted but it was gone byte time I got pregnant ith no.2 6 months later. That was also an ELCS but I had no numbness at all. I was told it was severed nerves which needed to heal (don't know if thats true though)

1944girl Sun 25-Sep-11 00:36:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yourefired Sun 25-Sep-11 00:44:11

Congratulations, lovely name. Yes numbness normal. Would say around 2 years with first CS, and no time at all with second.

chorltonandthewheelies Sun 25-Sep-11 10:23:36

Thanks everyone, its reassuring to know that it is a normal part of CS recovery. Hopefully feeling will return eventually, it makes sense with them cutting through layers that some nerves may be affected. Anyway it got Charlotte safely here so thats the main thing grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now