Talk

Advanced search

Writing Birth Plan

(7 Posts)
LaviniasMummy Sat 24-Sep-11 07:42:58

Hi,

I just wanted to put a message to women writing their birth plans. I don't want to scaremonger but I just want to ask that people consider what they want to happen if things don't go right. Obviously most women will not experience any difficulties and there will be nothing to worry about, but I wish I had made my partner aware and detailed in my birth plan, what I know now.

During my labour my dd demonstrated various signs that she was in distress. Irregular heart beat, meconium stained waters, non-progressing labour etc.. these were overlooked for several hours by staff on the labour suite, until her heart slowed to barely nothing and she was born by emergency caesarean. She was in resus for ten minutes, and things looked very bleak for her for several days. She sustained brain damage and spent 3 weeks on NICU. She has now been diagnosed with cerebral palsy affecting all 4 limbs. She is however doing very well.

Obviously this will not happen to very many women and I really don't want people to worry. I just wish that I had made my partner aware of the signs of distress and told him to be insistent that action was taken in these circumstances. That night still haunts me. I am so angry with myself as I was delirious with pain and from using the gas and air. If I'd had my wits about me I am sure things would have been different. This probably won't affect very many people at all, so please don't worry. I just wish I had given it some thought prior to my labour. This is just one experience, and most women do have a wonderful experience, but I do think there is a lesson to be learnt from what happened to me. If this helps just one person it will help me accept what happened to my dd a little.

Thanks for reading this

fraktious Sat 24-Sep-11 08:52:02

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience and hope your DD thrives.

I think you're very sensible to say this. Too often birth plans are focused on an idealised birth but personally I found the process helpful to visualise, rationalise and come to terms with the different scenarios and come up with 'plans of action'.

There's a fine line between scaremongering and being realistic about birth. Sometimes we don't sail as close too it as we should.

glitternanny Sat 24-Sep-11 22:36:20

Thank you for your post and I to hope your dd does well.

It's definitely something I need in my plan.

Wishing you well.

X

StickyGhost Sat 24-Sep-11 22:47:12

I'm just writing mine now, so thank you for this piece of advice, I will definitely be thinking about this now.
I hope ur daughter continues to do well.x

LDNmummy Sun 25-Sep-11 23:38:01

Great post, I have already explained some things to DH about the birth plan and different scenarios but this has reminded me to impress it on him a little more as we are both first time parents.

NorthLondonDoulas Mon 26-Sep-11 23:35:48

Thank you for your post... it certainly is something that all expectant parents should think about whether it be their 1st or 5th baby! Im so glad to hear that your little lady is doing well though!

As a Doula it is always something that i go over with my ladies... as someone has already mentioned, so many B.plans are so focused on their wishes that many dont think about planning ahead for every possibility so thank you very much.

Victoria.x

mamamazzini Fri 14-Oct-11 20:05:40

Before writing my birth plan I had read about somebody who had had a similar experience to yours and I made sure to tell my DP about it. In early labour, when the midwife told me my baby's heart was dropping, we both knew we had to go to hospital immediately (we had planned a homebirth). If I hadn't read about it beforehand I would not have known how serious this can be.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It's not scaremongering, it's very valuable. I wish you all the best for you and your DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now