Talk

Advanced search

things to do in early labour...

(13 Posts)

Thought it might be nice to have a list together for those about to drop smile

My #1 recommendation is to have a shower and wash your hair. The showers in hospital were like standing under a dripping tap and I was glad that at least my hair was washed the day before grin

What would you recommend?

addictedtofrazzles Wed 21-Sep-11 19:08:39

REST!!!!! I went into excited overdrive when the first contraction came as rather naively thought that the baby would be along in a few hours. He came 48 hour later and I was shattered.

So in a nutshell: rest, sleep (if you can) and eat to keep that energy up!

pootlebug Wed 21-Sep-11 19:24:05

Have two paracetamol and go to bed!

I did the same as addictedtofrazzles first time around - leapt out of bed at 3am, put the tens machine on, kept active etc. By the time she turned up 28 hours later I was knackered.

squinker45 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:35:48

Showers in my hospital were like standing under a dripping tap with used dressings under your feet.....

lionmummy Wed 21-Sep-11 21:08:18

I am in early labour and just cleaned my wooden blinds. I couldn't tell you why really as I don't think I had cleaned them in 6 months smile

Flisspaps Wed 21-Sep-11 21:08:53

Read a book, you're not going to be able to get through more than a page and a half in one go soon...

lollystix Wed 21-Sep-11 21:59:36

Scrub the floor - you need to get the baby in a good position - I learnt at my peril of the joys of an OP baby sad

KellyKettle Thu 22-Sep-11 09:31:07

Some things I have known people to do:

- Cook dinner to reheat after baby's arrival.
- Make the baby a "birthday" cake
- Any kind of baking - good distraction
- Take Dc to the park
- Go for a long walk
- Go to Sainsburys (leaning over the trolley during contraction)
- Have a bath, shave legs & apply fake tan (not me!).
- Watch a comedy box set (her DP appreciated this more than she did)
- Wash baby clothes

I think the best advice is do whatever you would normally do. If it's 2am try to sleep and if it's 10am then distract yourself in the normal way (easier said than done though).

grin at fake tan!

KellyKettle Thu 22-Sep-11 09:48:12

I also spoke to someone who went to the park in early labour and went on a zip wire. She swears it escalted her contractions. I am not sure it could really be recommended....

Elderberries Thu 22-Sep-11 10:10:30

KK - that must have looked very comical!!

MrsBloomingTroll Thu 22-Sep-11 17:37:25

Eat a massive bowl of pasta. Washed down with a glass of red wine.
Then go for a walk, try to have a poo, and have a bath and a nap.
Get up and have a shower or another bath.
Take care of any grooming - make sure bikini line is presentable. Yes, wash and dry hair, or dry shampoo if no time.
Put on TENS machine.
Check hospital bag.
Repeat.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 22-Sep-11 22:05:16

second put on tens machine, I forgot to buy one despite going 10days over, was hours til the shops opened and by then it was pointless putting it on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now