Talk

Advanced search

Unusual placenta

(3 Posts)
laurielou Wed 21-Sep-11 13:07:59

I had a c-section due to breech baby, & during op MW said I had an unusual placenta. She said it was in 2 halves joined together by a membrane. It had obviously done a good job as my son weighed a healthy 9lb 3oz. However as no-one had seen this before they were going to send it for analysis.

Today I received a letter stating that there were no significant abnormalities & cancer had been excluded shock.

Obviously this is very good news, but I was shocked as there had been absolutely no mention of this.

As an aside I'm bottle feeding (always have) and at 3 months my periods still have not returned. GP said its normal to take up to 6 months.

So, has anyone else had experience of a "split" placenta? Are my lack of periods linked to this? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I've put in a call to discuss this with my consultant, but I'm too impatient & wondered if there were any wise words here.

Thanks.

CBear6 Thu 22-Sep-11 10:45:41

I can't help you with the split placenta issue other than to say that nature is a funny thing and sometimes anomalies happen for no apparent reason but function just as effectively as the "norm". It's good that they've ruled out issues such as cancer though.

After I had DS (also 9lb 3oz!) it took five months for my periods to come back, I was formula feeding too. I was worried about it too but my GP told me it's entirely normal and varies so much from woman to woman. For what it's worth, when they did come back they were fine - no heavier or lighter than before. I got (planned) pregnant though after my second period so contraception is a must if you're not wanting another one just yet!

laurielou Fri 23-Sep-11 08:06:29

CBear6 thank you so much for your reply - you've really helped to put my mind at ease re return of periods!

Many congratulations on the swift second pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now