Talk

Advanced search

40 + 4 and waiting .....

(120 Posts)
Elderberries Wed 21-Sep-11 09:12:43

Anybody else overdue and just waiting for things to happen? I know I am not that overdue but I feel like every day is dragging sooooo much.

Do you want grumble about it with me?

BobbieSox Wed 21-Sep-11 09:25:11

Yes! I am also 40+4 and waiting, SOOO bored and really expected it to be here by now as DD was early!

I am currently trying to book myself a reflexology session for today to get things moving - have had load of twinges but that's been going on for about 10 days so not getting my hopes up...

Rubbish, isn't it? Have you had any signs something might be happening?

Elderberries Wed 21-Sep-11 09:30:30

I've had lots of Braxton Hicks and mild pains at night but I've been having that on and off for three weeks. My first was induced at 40 + 6 and they said I wasn't that dilated or anything so perhaps I'm one of those women who go to 42/3 weeks. I bloody hope not.

I'm having a sweep on Saturday at 40 + 7 and then an induction is booked for next Tuesday but I am wondering whether I would like to postpone the induction for a bit. This is my last baby and I really would like to experience the start of a natural labour (even if other things are required later).

I'm just eating too much at the moment.

At least the reflexology will relax you if nothing else.

golemmings Wed 21-Sep-11 12:44:50

Can I join in? I'm only 39+6 though. Baby not remotely engaged and I've been sore for a couple of weeks now with lots of twinges etc, waking up in the middle of the night with an urgent need to clean the kitchen floor, back ache on and off but really I think I'm probably a week or so off having this baby.

Stase Wed 21-Sep-11 13:22:36

Me too, due date is today (and my birthday too) so I had a stretch and sweep this morning, and she said I was 2cm dilated and she could feel the head - but apart from the usual Braxtons, not a blooming dickie-bird. I don't know how quickly a sweep should work? Anyone? Desperate to avoid induction, which is why I went for a sweep at the earliest opportunity. Not too uncomfortable, just READY!

LittleDoe Wed 21-Sep-11 14:36:40

Hello,

I'm also 40+4 today so happy to join you! DC1 was born at 40+15 (after induction) so I'm not getting my hopes up about this one coming out any time soon! Long pregnancies also appear to run in my family.

I am going to wait 14 days before being induced. Last time I was given the pessary at 40+14 but I'm pretty sure things were about to kick off anyway as I had had a show that morning and mild but regular contractions had started. So this time I'm going to give it until at least then before I agree to be induced. Would prefer body to do it "on its own" if that makes sense. Elderberries - you could probably hang off until the end of next week as chances are it will happen by then anyway?

I've had a bit of a show on Sunday and Monday of this week....but nothing else. Fed up now and getting tired looking after DS....at least he's still in nursery two days a week!

Hope things kick off for everyone soon.

BobbieSox Wed 21-Sep-11 15:53:52

I'm just back from my reflexology session and feeling a bit crampy but like you Elderberries I've been having them for ages, especially in the evenings.

Felt a bit damp when on the bus on the way back (possibly TMI!) so was hoping it was my waters breaking...think it may have just been the effects of the bouncing on my bladder though sad

Elderberries Thu 22-Sep-11 10:07:13

Hi all. Looks like we like to cook them for a bit longer!

LittleDoe - Yes I am thinking of waiting till + 14 days before induction. My local hospital seem quite trigger happy with induction (but you just end up sitting in a ward for a couple of days while emergencies are dealt with first. I really want to start labour at home!

Bobbie - How are you doing now? Any developments?

Hello Golem and and Stase I have a feeling I am in for the long haul so you may as well pull up a chair and have a brew

Had a hot curry last night and a whole pineapple the day before that - nada. I don't actually think these things work unless you are about to drop anyway but what the hell.

The thing that seems to get the braxtons and pain in the pelvis going the most is walking to be honest. So trying to do a bit of that.

But I thought sod it I need to stop obsessing and so went to see Jane Eyre yesterday - tried to cry quietly (i'm so soppy at the mo). Was quite good.

golemmings Thu 22-Sep-11 10:33:02

Thanks Elderberries. I'll see if I can find some jaffa cakes to go with the tea. They're always good for endurance events.

One of my friends ate a pineapple and was in labour 7 hours later but I think you're right Elderberries - it does sod all unless you're ready. I seem to remember DD arriving after 3 days of eating curry, chilli, pinapple, drinking raspberry leaf tea and having lots of sex. It was all nice but I'm not sure it made any difference.

I'm seeing the midwife on Monday (40+4) and will probably get a date for induction then. I'm a bit torn at the moment; I don't mind having a sweep but I don't want a chemically induced labour. I ended up with one of those last time and I'd really quite like a water birth this time. But I also want this baby as soon as possible: DH has his final PGCE placement starting a week on Monday 40+11. If necessary he could start a week later but that's as late as he could go so the later the baby is, the less time at home he's going to have with us.

Any hints on how to get the baby to engage?

Off to clean the kitchen floor...

Elderberries Thu 22-Sep-11 12:21:50

Golems - my two year old has taken to running at me and head butting my bump but it hasn't convinced number two to come out at all! I think walking with large strides might be a good idea and possibly swimming?

Oh dear you really have a deadline with the PGCE starting....that's a real bugger isn't it. Well the thing with induction is that the gel may kick it all off if you are quite ready anyway. I was induced last time too which is why I would like to start off as naturally as possible.

Off for lunch.

I wonder if Bobbie has popped?

BobbieSox Thu 22-Sep-11 13:26:54

Sadly no! Another evening of mild pains but since then nothing. Am in a foul mood today though which they say could signify the start of something?! <clutching at straws>

Could really do with it being here before the weekend as that's when childcare gets a whole lot more difficult - have a midwife appt tomorrow and think I will beg for a sweep to see if that does anything.

How are you all getting on?

Elderberries Thu 22-Sep-11 13:45:39

Have heard that a bad temper has been the start of things. In my area they will not do a sweep till 41 weeks if everything else looks normal so mine is on Saturday.

At east they can tell you how it all looks down there I suppose.

catgirl2 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:27:13

Hi all, please can I join in? Am 40+1 today. Have had an overwhelming bad temper this evening and DH has caught the brunt of it... Encouraging to hear this could be the start of things!!

LittleDoe Thu 22-Sep-11 21:20:11

Hello,

Still no news from me! Lots of period type pains today - pretty much continuous actually - but not building up to anything more. I have a midwife appt tomorrow afternoon so think she will do a sweep and hopefully let me know how things are looking, so to speak!!

Let's hope some babies arrive this weekend!

golemmings Thu 22-Sep-11 21:45:21

hot curry and lots of bouncing on the ball. tried to persuade DH about the benefits of an early night - he got all enthusiastic about reading... ho hum.

See you all tomorrow I expect although I hope somebody gets some sort of excitement over night!

jan2011 Fri 23-Sep-11 08:08:04

hi guys mind if i join? i am bored waiting too! i have tried everything to get going and my house is spick and span and I hope these babies come soon! im 39 + 5 and had a sweep on Tuesday. that night i had bad cramps and pains and lost plug but all symptoms went away the next day, extremely frustrating. have another appt booked for Tuesday, then ill get date for induction. good luck everyone!

Elderberries Fri 23-Sep-11 08:57:43

Hello Jan and Catgirl. More brew all round and soon will be able to have wine . Still waiting here but getting better at the waiting game.

LittleDoe they have changed my sweep appointment to today at 12.30 so we shall see what that brings!

Strangely I seem to have less symptoms than I did three weeks ago. So I am now 40 + 6.

Good luck to all - let us know if anything kicks off.

BobbieSox Fri 23-Sep-11 16:54:22

How were your sweeps, Elderberries and LittleDoe? Did it get you going?!

My appointment has been moved to tomorrow so I won't get mine until then, seemed like the end of the world when I found out this morning!

I so agree I had more symptoms weeks ago, getting a bit despondent here, but I have now sorted childcare for my DD for tomorrow so come on, baby!

Elderberries Fri 23-Sep-11 17:29:49

Well went for my sweep but she said she couldn't do it because I wasn't at all dilated....basically no where near. It's really depressed me.

All the published stuff I've read says that most women deliver naturally by 42 weeks - but you seem to get a lot of people on discussion boards saying they went longer or were induced at 40 + 14.

Please all cross your fingers that something happens over the weekend....I don't want another birth where I am laid out on a bed with wires attached continually and I just feel I have no part in the birth. Sigh.

yummymango Fri 23-Sep-11 18:35:31

Hi all, can I join please? Am due Sunday so I guess that makes me 39 + 5. Have had on off period type pains for a few days now and mega braxton hicks but no show or anything.
The reason I am so bored is because I am on medication for high blood pressure which makes me feel rubbish so I don't have the energy to do anything - so all the nesting I was planning on doing has been cancelled. I also have SPD so can't walk very far! The joys of late pregnancy hey.
I think I will have a sweep next Wednesday if nothing has happened by then.
I do hope someone on this thread has a baby soon smile

Elderberries Fri 23-Sep-11 19:47:32

Yummymango - Hi. You really need some good box sets and possibly some nice baths I'm thinking!

AnnamariaHun Fri 23-Sep-11 19:59:15

Hi everyone
Can i join in?
im 41+4 with ds2 and not much is going on.
mw attempted 3 sweeps but my cervix is still seem to be far back and closed but soft (which i was told is at least something)
so im really running out of enthusiasm for the labour and started to feel that i won't be able to cope with the slightest little pain.
Anyway im booked in for induction for sunday morning but im terrified of it as don't know what to expect.
i've been getting some braxton hicks/contractions in the evening and at night but they always stop by the morning.
This evening however i'm getting a constant cramping feeling which is a bit different from what i've been getting so maybe this will be it..
Hope we don't have to suffer for much longer and get our long waited babies smile

good luck to all of you

BobbieSox Sat 24-Sep-11 10:08:34

Any news, AnnaMaria? Or anyone?

Waiting for the midwife to give me a sweep in an hour or so, DD is packed off to MIL for the day which is probably being too optimistic but I'm hoping the effect of having a day off childcare might relax me enough to set something off?! <more clutching at straws!>

Elderberries you do sound down - I've heard loads of stories about people who weren't dilated at all then went into labour spontaneously within the day so hopefully you're one of those people!

Hope some of us have some news before the weekend is out!

LittleDoe Sat 24-Sep-11 13:52:47

Still no news from me I'm afraid! I had a sweep yesterday and midwife said I was about 1cm dilated (wow!) and cervix was quite soft and "favourable". So I suppose that was good-ish news! Last night I thought I was starting to have contractions but they never came to anything overnight. Today I've had a bit of a show again but it's probably due to the sweep more than anything else. Grrrr.....

Am now starting to get the "any news?" texts and phone calls on a fairly regular basis....does anyone else feel like they're letting the whole world down by not having given birth yet???

Elderberries - sorry to hear that the midwife was unable to do your sweep. Did she give you a date for another one? I've got another one booked for first thing Monday morning assuming no action before then.

I've been teaching 2 year old DS to say "Come on baby!". This baby has been in the oven for so long I'm sure he things we're making the whole thing up......

BobbieSox Sat 24-Sep-11 18:41:16

I've had my sweep and I was apparently 2cm dilated by but with a hard cervix...had lots of bleeding since and now strong contractions but not regular enough to think we're getting somewhere!

As I've been planing a homebirth and things are getting down to the wire I have a sweep booked every day until thursday when I will probably end up being induced - kind of pleased theyre taking so much action but they're not fun, are they?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now