Talk

Advanced search

If you have had a sweep, did it work?

(27 Posts)
reddaisy Sun 18-Sep-11 14:59:29

I am having a sweep tomorrow morning and I would love it to kick start labour but I'm skeptical. Did it work for you?

joruth Sun 18-Sep-11 15:03:35

worked oh so fast for me....went for sweep at 5.30pm, baby born by 7pm....was number 4 though!!

reddaisy Sun 18-Sep-11 15:07:00

Oh shit! Did the MW say you were dilated anyway? DP is at a meeting when I have my sweep tomorrow AM and I haven't managed to organise any back up childcare yet, just assumed it would take hours even if it started something! Glad it worked though.

Toobluntforboss Sun 18-Sep-11 15:10:26

For me it was within 24hrs although I did feel strange and like 'something was happening' that whole time (but was perfectly capable of doing things for myself so didn't need anyone with me). All the best!

reddaisy Sun 18-Sep-11 15:21:45

24 hours gives me more time to get things sorted, I should really get a plan in place just in case though. At least they worked, I will be facing a section if this doesn't help so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

rubyslippers Sun 18-Sep-11 15:30:16

I had my sweep at 11 am, went into labour at 1 pm

Spent an uncomfortable 2 hours at home and then my husband got back from work. Got to the hospital at around 5.45 pm and then had DD at 8.17 pm so yes it was quick but enough time for DH to get home fro work!

I was dilated, had already had a show and it was my second baby

reddaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 10:29:24

Thanks for the responses, off to have the sweep shortly so let's see what happens!

Nevercan Mon 19-Sep-11 12:46:16

I had two sweeps With my first pregnancy and one with second as I was overdue big times. Did nothing for me unfortunately!

reddaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 13:44:36

Well, I haven't had the baby yet wink. And the MW said my cervix felt like it would be another week shock. I hope not!

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Mon 19-Sep-11 13:46:29

Nothing for me. Just spotting afterwards. She arrived 13 days late by induction. Sorry blush

mosschops30 Mon 19-Sep-11 13:47:56

None of my sweeps worked, i had 3 with ds1 and about 50 with ds2.
Both were induced

reddaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 13:52:01

It needs to come out soon, I want to meet it! I've got a consultant meeting and another sweep booked for next week, that feels like ages to wait. Oh well.

Cheria Mon 19-Sep-11 13:54:00

Mine didn't work. I had it on a Monday and ended up being induced on the Thursday, and then having a EMCS on the Friday.

reddaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 13:57:45

How overdue were you Cheria? They won't induce me this time so it would be sweep then straight to c-section if nothing happens for me.

Cheria Mon 19-Sep-11 14:06:31

I wasn't overdue but the baby was getting big and they wanted to try and avoid C Section. The sweep was three days before due date (though I had been in pre labour for a couple of weeks) , and I was induced on due date.

The EMCS was because they realised she was too big after all. Plus despite all methods of induction being used labour stopped.

I wish they had done ELCS as I had requested weeks before as I was convinced she wouldn't come out naturally without breaking me (and i would have been right).

Pootles2010 Mon 19-Sep-11 14:09:40

I just had a stretch as she said I wasn't dilated and couldn't do the sweep thing. That was mid afternoon iirc, went into labour 2 am the following morning, ds born at 1pm. So less than 24 hrs between stretch and birth for me. I was 1 week overdue.

Stokey38 Mon 19-Sep-11 14:20:50

Yes, worked like a dream for me. Went into labour about 12 hours later. Good luck!

Flisspaps Mon 19-Sep-11 14:33:35

Nope.

Was induced 8 days later at 40+15.

Won't be bothering this time round - there is absolutely no way of knowing if they work or not. They're only performed on women who are 'overdue' and who are already dilating anyway, so any woman who has one and then goes into labour may well have gone into labour at the time they did without the MW having a furtle in the fanjo.

Ebb Mon 19-Sep-11 15:27:18

I had a sweep at 38+6 at around 11.30 am and had Dc2 at 8.15pm that night. She was very thorough and did say I was already 2-3cm and waters were bulging. I think I would probably have gone into labour that weekend anyway but I'm still eternally grateful to her for kick starting it earlier.

Flisspaps Mon 19-Sep-11 15:35:31

That's my point though Ebb wink, there's every chance you'd have gone into labour then anyway!

notveryinventive Mon 19-Sep-11 16:20:40

I had a sweep with DC1 when I was 40+3 I had spotting from 40+4 until I gave birth at 41+1 so no there.

With DC2 didnt need one as she was born on her due date

This time with DC3 i was due Sat so now 40+2, I had one fri so was 39+6, but was only 1CM and I got the impression then that I wasnt dilated enough anyway, i am due to have another tomorrow morning so hoping it will work (esp since DH wants to watch the football tomorrow night so it will be sods law for him mwahaha)

I agree they will only work if the woman are dilating anyway, but I still want to have one so I can find out if I am dilating or not. I have been in pre-labour for over a week now and often get really strong BH, actually I told my midwife about one experience and she said it sounded like false labour (or is that the same as BH?)

I think the same with all these 'tricks' to bring labour on ie curry, pinapple sex etc will only work if good and ready. Just wish we knew when good and ready will be. Im getting sick of seeing the signs of labour being close then nothing.

Anyway good luck.

AnaisB Mon 19-Sep-11 16:29:43

At 38 weeks - no. At 41 weeks - yes. Went into labour about 2 `hpou

AnaisB Mon 19-Sep-11 16:30:04

meant to say 'hours later'

reddaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 21:54:42

I'm not actually due until Friday anyway but they did the sweep today because they are trying to avoid a c-section and I can't be induced and I agree, I don't think I'm ready so doubt anything will happen.

Statistics on sweeps would be interesting in relation to due dates as well.

ChrissasMissis Tue 20-Sep-11 07:02:06

Nope. had two. Ended up with the gel pessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now