Talk

Advanced search

anyone had natural text book labours then an epidural for next baby

(20 Posts)
threecurrantbuns Sat 17-Sep-11 15:46:12

I'm expecting dc4 I've had 3 straight forward labours no stitches, quick just g&a.

But I'm so scared about labor again I'm lucky to have had no problems but it was so painful. Up county I've been dead against an epidural. But this time I can't help thinking maybe I should as I'm so scared of going through the pain again

threecurrantbuns Sat 17-Sep-11 15:46:47

Up until now.

donthateme Sun 18-Sep-11 21:02:16

TBH as you have managed without epidural until now, you will manage this time. Natural birth is very painful, but my view was that if I managed it first time without epidural, I could probably manage my subsequent babies without. In retrospect I'm very glad I managed without for mine. You might have an epidural and be fine, but if on the other hand you end up with a longer labour, or forceps, you'll probably inevitably feel it was due to the epidural. Personally I would try to manage without again if you can

mosschops30 Sun 18-Sep-11 21:06:17

I had two very normal deliveries, couple of stitches with dd nothing with ds1, gas and air, bit of pethidne.
No.3 was a traumatic delivery, long non progressive labour, lost heartbeat twice, epidural, ended in an EMCS.

I hope your birth goes well, ive heard its normally no.3 thats causes problems so no.4 shoukd just pop out smile

threecurrantbuns Mon 19-Sep-11 07:38:14

Thank you I'm sure I will manage and I've always been against an epidural but since I've done that 3times part of me feels like I've taken the painful path and It's appealing to not have the worry of that again.

Saying that I do worry about complications increasing if I have an epidural and no pain to make me push for dear life. I'm just feeling so scared about birth already and only 3months.

But we are 40min on a good run from consulting unit and dc arrived in an hour from start to finish so I prob wouldn't make it I Was only in labor at the local birth centre for 20minutes by the time I arrived went from twinges to full clown agony with what seemed like no build up and god it really hurt.

threecurrantbuns Mon 19-Sep-11 07:39:13

Full blown!

TheGrassIsJewelled Mon 19-Sep-11 07:45:59

No, my contractions didn't get more frequent until the very end. Was told I couldn't possibly be in labour, was checked and was fully dilated. [told you so emoticon].
I didn't get the urge to push either, so pushing was directed (cue stitches, lots of 'em).

threecurrantbuns Mon 19-Sep-11 08:07:30

Really so did that mean you didn't feel too bad pain wise because of contractions.

Mine seem to be massive and just join towards the end I could hear the midwives behind me saying view just aren't going away are they.

I Was like tell me about it twas evil .

TheGrassIsJewelled Mon 19-Sep-11 08:51:13

No, it hurt! They got stronger but would be every 3 minutes, then every 30 secs, then every 7 minutes, iyswim. Like you, they got constant toward the end.

coffeeaddict Mon 19-Sep-11 10:36:19

I had a v. speedy delivery with no.2. in which I felt everything and was totally freaked out! I wanted a more mellow experience with the next one so I was induced and had an epidural and I loved it. I think your body knows what it is doing by no. 3 or 4.

I actually wanted a longer labour. I found the short one too intense. For me the perfect labour is about six hours, with a nice epidural so you can rest and time to get your head around things.

As for 'pushing for dear life', I think it was NOT pushing for dear life which kept my perineum intact!

threecurrantbuns Mon 19-Sep-11 11:23:39

Lol I've been lucky on the tearing front and automatically go into panting when head crowns .<shivers>

I think It's right re speed. My midwives have told me the last two times that really quick is hard and sometimes your body goes into shock as it all so sudden, I Was told really long and short are both not ideal 6-10hours is best apparently a steady build up.

threecurrantbuns Mon 19-Sep-11 11:27:17

Coffee how much could you feel with an epidural? After watching one born usa, which I found quite odd tbh, i Was fascinated seeing how completely calm the ladies were like they could feel nothing seems quite strange. Especially when they say so casually right time to push.

How can it be so different.

Do worry about not being mobile strange afterwards though x

coffeeaddict Mon 19-Sep-11 21:58:37

I had a low dose one in which I could sit on birthing ball throughout, no catheter, could feel a bit at the end but had to be told when to push (didn't bother me) and then got straight up and had a shower. It wears off every now and then and it's up to you how often to top it up. You can let it all wear off at the end if you like.

I also had one (DC4) which was topped up a lot at the end, delivery was painless but my legs were number and that meant I had to be wheeled to post natal in a wheelchair clutching babe. I didn't care and within an hour I was again up, having a shower.

Pregnant with DC5 and planning another epidural smile

threecurrantbuns Mon 19-Sep-11 22:04:18

That sounds the perfect balance sounds like they did a good job seem to hear many bad stories about epidural being done incorrectly or not successful for first few trys.

Didn't even think of catheter definitely don't want that.

NorthLondonDoulas Tue 20-Sep-11 18:54:27

threecurrantbuns Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! I did..... my first two labours were back to back so i ended up having epidurals, with my third i had a totally natural labour (no gas & air, nothing) and then with baby number 4 i had another epidural.

As a Birth Doula and a mum of four, i am all for trying different birthing techniques, hypnotherapy, massage, positions etc but at the end of the day if the pain gets too much for you to cope with it can put you and baby under unnecessary stress. At the end of the day as long as you and your little one are happy and healthy it doesn't matter how you got there.

You dont have any thing to prove to any one, if you would like to try for a natural birth and are able to do it then fantastic! But if it gets too much just say so.

Good luck and huge congratulations!

Victoria.x

threecurrantbuns Tue 20-Sep-11 19:28:27

Thank you. Thing is I can't really play it by ear as if I don't have an epidural I will go to the birth centre just down the road its quite and lovely there.

If I think I might want an epidural I would need to go straight to the big city hospital haven't heard great things and having previously quick labours its possible I wouldn't make it.

No present solution I suppose.

Having had both natural and epidural can you tell me how much different labor was.

threecurrantbuns Tue 20-Sep-11 19:29:06

No perfect!

babynamesgrrrrrrrrrrrrr Tue 20-Sep-11 19:32:12

come on the first 3 kids broke the dam down, the fourth will be easy peasy grin

cluelessnchaos Tue 20-Sep-11 19:41:26

I had "the fear" when I was pregnant with dc4 after two straightforward deliveries. I am not sure why I was so scared that time, but I had a very negative experience of epidural first time and vowed not to do it again.

I read all the natural birth books, ina mays guide to childbirth being the best. By the time I delivered I knew I had to get my head down and get on and I even managed to tell myself that the pressure wasn't painful for a couple of contractions.

threecurrantbuns Tue 20-Sep-11 19:43:34

Lol I bloody hope your right babynames the going to the amazing birth centre is swaying my decision to grin and bare it.

Still bloody scary though. Who would have thought that for the last three babies I was totally against an epidural didn't even have to think about it I knew I didn't want one.

In my case is seems the pain is more well remembered each time hence the worry very glad this is the last

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now