Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Due on Strike day

(12 Posts)
ceri1985 Thu 15-Sep-11 08:53:44

Hi... I am due on 30th November, which is the day that this huge public sector strike is planned for sad
I know that there is only a small chance that DD will arrive on her due date, but if I go over, there is a chance that there will be further strikes.

I am having NHS midwife-led care. Does anyone know how this will be affected by the strike?

Thanks.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Thu 15-Sep-11 08:58:22

The midwives and nurses will not be going on strike.

gluttom Thu 15-Sep-11 10:09:08

nurses and midwives are not allowed to strike - that is why the get treated appalling ( biased as i am a nurse)

ceri1985 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:44:04

Thank you soooo much. I know its a bit selfish of me to be worried.
I'm now curious as to why nurses and midwives are not allowed to strike but fire brigades are... bizarre.
Thanks again smile

Haribojoe Thu 15-Sep-11 13:19:59

gluttom is right midwives are not allowed to strike as they have a duty of care.

gallicgirl Fri 16-Sep-11 17:12:36

The employer is always given enough notice to arrange alternative cover if staff do strike. Don't worry.

PS: I'd have thought nurses and midwives ARE allowed to strike but perhaps feel they shouldn't due to duty of care. I'd be very surprised if this was written into their contracts. I think they're allowed to be in a union and therefore have right to strike. Intrigued now.

gluttom Fri 16-Sep-11 17:25:08

The union - RCN does not allow striking. Historically, nurses have not been allowed to take industrial action, but a rule change in the mid 1990s permitted measures which do not harm patient care.

This effectively rules out an all-out strike, but does allow nurses to refuse to work overtime and do paperwork NHS trusts use to demonstrate that they have met targets.

gluttom Fri 16-Sep-11 17:28:35

The worst we can do is "work to rule" basically be a jobsworth who does not do any extras and walks out exactly at home time - time unpaid breaks which we never take and no do any extra jobs other than nursing/ midwifery care .

iskra Fri 16-Sep-11 17:33:34

That's interesting gluttom. Does the same apply to the doctor unions?

gluttom Fri 16-Sep-11 17:44:53

At the moment the British Medical Association does not support strike action by its members due to the constraints of medical ethics.

gallicgirl Fri 16-Sep-11 18:12:39

You live and learn. I thought I had vague memories of nurses going on strike when I was a kid but I must be mistaken.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 16-Sep-11 18:21:27

Nurses are allowed to strike but the main union, The Royal College of Nursing has a no-strike rule. This does not apply to other unions.
I wouldn't worry OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now