Talk

Advanced search

Feels like my insides are falling out

(3 Posts)
Blobby11 Sun 11-Sep-11 18:04:23

I gave birth nearly 4 weeks ago. The bleeding has been very light. I was in a lot of pain from my episiotomy scar for the first few weeks but that has now stopped. I thought things were starting to get back to normal but a few days ago I started getting internal pain - it kind of feels like my insides are falling out. It's ok when I'm sitting but standing is painful. Last night a huge mass came out and I starting getting period like pains. I wasn't sure if it was a clot or retained placenta so called the midwife who asked me to go back to the hospital to get checked out. The doctor at the hospital did an internal examination and said it could be an infection or it could be retained placenta so gave me antibiotics for the infection and has booked me in for a scan next week. She didn't seem to take my description of feeling like something was falling out seriously so I'm still feeling worried and I'm just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences they could share

Thanks

twotesttickles Sun 11-Sep-11 18:13:07

Oh that sounds awful. Why on earth would you have a retained placenta? Did they not check it? hmm

If it is an infection, you will probably be feeling pretty shit. Make sure you take the full course of drugs and if you get a sudden fever get help quickly.

No experience to help you I'm afraid but I do know about uterine infections and you do need to take them seriously. They can indeed feel like your insides are falling out. sad

sprinkles77 Sun 11-Sep-11 18:33:12

Definitely take any medications you have been given and keep your appointment. It could be a prolapse, though I've not had one myself so not sure. My cousin had one and was given physic and is ok now. My friend's mother had one and lived with it for 30 years, only having repaired when she went in for other surgery.

It sounds like who ever you saw was a little dismissive, which was a shame. If you are worried it might be worth seeing your gp or calling the clinic where you have the appointment and get seen earlier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now