Talk

Advanced search

has anyone ever managed multiple births with no stitches?

(16 Posts)
mamaesi Sun 11-Sep-11 13:26:37

not sure exactly why, but the thought of stitches scares me to death and way more than the thought of pain.

am terrified of giving birth even though this will be my second time. is there any way to prevent stitches? I didnt have them first time around and I am convinced I cant be lucky twice...

Plus loads of my friends are just having a planned section stating there is no way they would do the pushing and stitches and such..

anyone else avoid them more than once? any tips on avoiding them? am so dreading this birth...considering a section too...not sure about it

purpleturtle Sun 11-Sep-11 13:29:34

I've had 3 babies, all weighing over 8lbs and never had a stitch. Does that help?

I did have water-births, which may have been a factor.

thestringcheeseincident Sun 11-Sep-11 13:32:21

Me too, 2 babies 8lbs14 and 8lbs6 and no stitches.
Not sure there is any tips though.

LargeGlassofRed Sun 11-Sep-11 13:33:40

I think if you didn't have them first time you should be fine, I think it just depends on the elasticity of your skin.
Saying that I had awful stretchmarks with all mine but no stitches.

ThePieSmuggler Sun 11-Sep-11 13:34:01

I've only had one birth (so far!) but was a home water birth and I tried to do perineal massage regularly before hand and I had no stitches! I'm hoping this will work a second time too! smile

I think a lot of it is to do with not pushing too hard - I had fab midwives who didn't tell me when to push i just did what came naturally!

EggyAllenPoe Sun 11-Sep-11 13:37:46

ways to reduce the chances of tearing - home birth, midwife-led care, going very gentle on the last few pushes.

i had stitches the first time and not since.

saoirse86 Sun 11-Sep-11 15:57:33

I had stitches but was pretty much made to push hard at the end. Tbf it was a 68 hour labour and they wanted to do some proper intervention so I was happy to just get her out myself at that point.

From what friends have said, a water birth and perrineal massage really helps.

Also, you know having a cs will involve stitches don't you?! confused or is it just stitches down below you're worried about?

MindtheGappp Sun 11-Sep-11 15:58:57

I have had five children, including one breech - no stitches.

inniu Sun 11-Sep-11 16:08:06

I had a stitch when I had my twins but I had torn badly when I had my first child and the scar ripped slightly during the twin birth. The same scar ripped much more badly on my fourth child.

If you didn't have stitches the first time I would imagine you will be fine with twins as each twin is usually smaller than a single baby.

My twin labour was probably my easiest.

Byeckerslike Sun 11-Sep-11 16:13:51

YES ME! <proud>
i had ds1 9lb, no stitches followed by twins 12 weekes ago with no stitches and just g&a!

Not a wizards sleeve promise! grin

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Sun 11-Sep-11 16:27:23

I had stitches but really it was ok. I never would have known they were there if I didn't know iyswim

ladywithnomanors Sun 11-Sep-11 16:32:00

I've had 3 babies and had no stitches.
The advice I was given by a friend who used to work as a midwife was to listen to your midwife during the crowning/delivery stage. Don't push when they tell you to pant etc so that the delivery of the head/shoulders can be as controlled as possible.

The though of having stitches fills me with dread too but if you've had one child without there is every likelyhood that you won't need them this time around too.

Haribojoe Sun 11-Sep-11 21:26:34

DS1 stitches.

DS2 2nd degree tear but decided (on midwife's advice) to let it heal naturally.

DS3 intact perineum.

Agree with previous poster re listening to midwife in very final stages of pushing, with DS3 my midwife kept telling me I'd do it without needing stitches and she was right smile .

coffeeaddict Mon 12-Sep-11 14:10:59

The obstetrician who delivered DC3 and DC4 didn't let anything to chance, but 'got in there'. I have no idea exactly what he was up to... smile but two large babies out, intact perineum each time. Very impressed, I was. I think it also helped that I'd had an epidural, so although was able to push, was also completely relaxed and in no hurry.

fantagrape Mon 12-Sep-11 14:23:50

Dc1 I had an episiotomy so obv had many stiches. (only g&a pain relief as got to hospital very late stage)

Dc2 had epidural, pushed baby out with me kneeling, ended up with a tear. Had no trouble from it whatsoever, hardly any pain from stitches healing. Think I had two paracetemol at some point after, that's it. Healed up and thing look and feel ok.

In my opinion stitches are nothing to fear.

mamaesi Tue 13-Sep-11 18:59:49

thanks everyone. slightly reassuring.
my best friend keeps ging on about how much better stitches in your belly is sooooo much better than your vagina

and why go through all the pain and trauma when you can feel nothing, schedule the birthday and not worry about damaged bits....I have to admit I found it hard to argue that point.... why should I do it naturally??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now