Talk

Advanced search

Is induction any more likely to be successful with 4th baby?

(4 Posts)
issynoko Thu 08-Sep-11 15:37:36

Have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and told that an induction at 38 weeks will be 'highly recommended'. Having had one hospital and two lovely homebirths I am struggling with being anxious and disappointed but trying to get mentally prepared over the next 8 weeks in case induction is what happens. Have read a few positive induction stories on here and lots of horrors too. I imagine induction is more successful if you are already nearer your due date (and the other 3 went to 40+7 and 40+6) so 38 weeks is early. BUT want the baby to be safe so...anyone had a quick efficient induction?! And was it a subsequent pregnancy or a first one? Thanks!

hiss42 Thu 08-Sep-11 16:38:31

I was induced at 42 weeks (pessary and gel didn't work, but ended up with a sytocin induction and forceps in theatre!)

But wanted to tell you about the woman opposite me, who had the pessary put in and practically gave birth on the induction ward! She had a pessary at 7pm and at about 3am her waters broke as it was her thrid baby and the midwife said that it often happens that fast with subsequent babies!

coffeeaddict Thu 08-Sep-11 22:11:01

I have had two quick efficient inductions (DC3 and DC4) and hoping I will have the same for DC5! I think subsequent inductions are very different from first time around.

issynoko Fri 09-Sep-11 19:34:27

Thanks! Never been induced before but is the 4th baby and the 3rd came naturally very fast. The midwife did say inductions, even your first induction, are more often effective with a 'uterus that already recognises what to do'. So I do appreciate hearing it's not always awful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now