Talk

Advanced search

when the MW does a sweep can she tell if you are a few cm dilated? also, to sweep or not to sweep?

(15 Posts)
MrsRhettButler Wed 07-Sep-11 19:09:13

I'm guessing so? and can tell if your cervix is ready? or not?

I'm not sure whether to have a sweep or not, with dd my body was not ready and all that happened was that my waters broke that night but no contractions, had to stay in hosp due to risk of cord prolapse? i think.

I was induced 2 days later, dont want this to happen again but i feel as though my body is more 'ready' this time, i've been having painful braxton hicks for the last 4 weeks of which i had NOTHING with dd, not even a painless tightening.

so i'm thinking a sweep might work this time? confused any advice or experience?

Belmo Wed 07-Sep-11 19:35:38

Hiya, first timer here so can't really offer any advice, but I got offered a sweep yesterday on my due date. She couldn't even really reach my cervix though sad not much going on up there! The midwife will definately be able to tell you how dilated/effaced you are, just try not to be too dissapointed if like me the answer's not at all! As for wether to get one - don't see the harm in it myself but it's very much up to you. Midwife told me it's about 50/50. Good luck smile

MrsRhettButler Wed 07-Sep-11 19:41:59

thanks belmo, just out of interest have you had any pain/braxton hicks at all?
i'm just wondering if that has any bearing on the body 'getting ready'

MrsRhettButler Wed 07-Sep-11 19:42:52

oh, and good luck to you too smile

Tempingmaniac Wed 07-Sep-11 19:47:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cluelessnchaos Wed 07-Sep-11 19:48:19

With dc2,3 and 4 I was swept and mw each time could tell how dilated I was. With dc4 I couldn't have it done at 40 +1 because his head was still free because of the danger of cord prolapse. So maybe you can refuse if the heads not in the pelvis

Tempingmaniac Wed 07-Sep-11 19:48:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsravelstein Wed 07-Sep-11 19:48:46

i had a couple of sweeps when i went overdue with ds2. first two at 40 weeks ish there was no dilation at all yet. third sweep (done rather, ahem, robustly by consultant) at 41+1 i was 2cm dilated, and i went into labour at 41+3.

had a sweep at 39 weeks with dd (trying to bring on labour before scheduled c section) and m/w couldn't even reach my cervix.

WhipMeIndiana Wed 07-Sep-11 19:49:18

didnt do anything for me except be really embarrassing and made me all shaky.
rectified shakiness with a massive brunch smile

MrsBloomingTroll Wed 07-Sep-11 19:57:18

I had sweeps with both DCs and was dilated a few cms both times. The midwives predicted, correctly, on both occasions that I'd be in that night. Which was lovely as I could go home, nap, bathe, and eat pasta in readiness for established labour.

The sweeps seem to have helped me along both times. Worth a try?

MrsRhettButler Wed 07-Sep-11 19:59:27

ok, so, i'll ask her to only sweep if my cervix feels favourable and then it should be fine. <hopefully>

temping my cervix was definitely not favourable for anything when i had my sweep with dd, one of the midwives said my cervix must be 'made of concrete' hmm grin tbf it took a good few hours on the pitocin? drip before i even got to one cm!

MrsRhettButler Wed 07-Sep-11 20:00:48

yes, i've concluded that they only work if you are ready.... here's hoping i'm ready!

wigglesrock Wed 07-Sep-11 20:07:13

I had sweeps with dd1 and dd2 - made not a jot of difference, dd1 was a week late and I was induced with dd2. However I decided to have one with dd3 (was offered one 2 days before my due date), had sweep, midwife told me I was slightly dilated but having had 2 children this was to be expected.

Had the sweep in the morning, went about my day, took kids out for a walk and went into labour that night, had dd3 in the early hours of the next morning.

Belmo Wed 07-Sep-11 20:08:25

Have been having a few braxton hicks for the last week or so, and I think they're stronger today, although that could just be wishful thinking!

LiegeAndLief Thu 08-Sep-11 22:30:55

I understood (could be wrong!) that if your cervix is not dilated at all the mw can't do a sweep. I had an attempt at a sweep to try to avoid a cs and my consultant said that she couldn't sweep because my cervix was "nailed shut", but she had had a "good poke around" (it certainly felt like it).

It might have done something though, as I went into labour three days later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now