Talk

Advanced search

Does it really matter that the baby is on my right side and if it does, any tips on how I make it go to my left?

(5 Posts)
reddaisy Tue 06-Sep-11 22:12:20

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and the baby is head down and on my right and the midwife said it will be a longer labour if it doesn't move to my left.

Is it likely to move? Can I encourage it? What does it mean if it doesn't?

jammyscone Tue 06-Sep-11 22:37:54

I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow and have the same thing. I understand it's more likely to be a posterior birth if they are in this position, as the baby has to do more twisting around (I think?) but it's not a given that that'll happen.

Leaning forward for extended periods is meant to be good. Sitting or leaning on a birth/gym ball, scrubbing the kitchen floor, whatever you prefer. Avoid leaning back for long periods on the sofa or deep chairs where your knees are higher than your pelvis... There are lots of tips I've seen, try a search for 'optimal foetal positioning'.

Mine keeps shifting around and I will think she's moved into a better position, but then she moves back! I think it doesn't help that although I've been trying to sleep on my left-hand side I've always slept on the right before and tend to wake up like that. The baby's back is likely to go with gravity, apparently.

helsbels999 Wed 07-Sep-11 21:07:52

try the spinning babies website (google it!) for more info on positions and what to do to move it

good luck

reddaisy Thu 08-Sep-11 09:02:30

Thank you both for the info. I have been trying your advice jammyscone and nothing yet but I really struggle to sleep on my left anyway. I will try the spinning babies site next. Thanks!

Saffra Thu 08-Sep-11 15:27:22

I've ALWAYS slept on my back, but have found that if I use a memory foam pillow, it is much easier to lie on my left side.

I tend to put another pillow under the one I'm directly lying on the left hand side only so that it makes the pillow slope down a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now