Talk

Advanced search

Got ELCS Next Week, Any Idea What Time First To Theatre Is?

(19 Posts)
chorltonandthewheelies Tue 06-Sep-11 17:17:50

I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but I wondered what the general rule was of the earliest you would go to theatre if planned? I had 10am in my head but not sure why.

Fourth baby, first ELCs and have to be at hospital for 8am, will have done all paperwork etc day before in day unit. I do know I might well not be first but am trying to figure out if hubby can drop my little boy who has special needs at school and make it back in plenty time, or if we really need a plan B. It would be much better for my little one if we kept his routine and daddy dropped him off but if daddy wont be back in time for me then I will be rethinking this!

Thanks if anyone has an idea

VivaLeBeaver Tue 06-Sep-11 17:21:01

Kick off where I work is meant to be 9:00am for the first one, often closer to 9:30 by the time we've managed to get all necessary staff together as its like herding cats.

Of course if there's an emergency then the electives are delayed.

Abgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 17:24:01

Mine was at 9.30, had to be at hospital at 7.30 I think.

QTPie Tue 06-Sep-11 19:27:50

I had the first C Section of the day at a private hospital - had to be there for 6.30am for a 7.30am Section. Baby born at 8.31am exactly, in recovery shortly after 9am. Great way to do it - wasn't hanging around with nerves and didn't suffer from the "NIL by mouth" too much.....

Sunshinecurl Tue 06-Sep-11 20:39:24

Mine is scheduled for 10.00am and I have to be there at 7.00am...

Boosaphena Tue 06-Sep-11 20:58:07

I wander if you can request that you're further down the list... Maybe give them a bell in advance and ask?

SkiBumMum Tue 06-Sep-11 21:09:08

I'm apparently second on list and have to be there promptly for 730am but have been warned by MW to take paper etc as may get bumped if theatre busy. Dreading the nil by mouth bit!

ruletheworld Tue 06-Sep-11 21:11:52

I was first on the list initially.

Had to be there for 8AM.

4 sections that morning and I ended up going in last! Called at about 11.15 and DD2 delivered at 12:09.

QTPie Tue 06-Sep-11 23:22:40

SkiBumMum (nice username smile ) - unless you are called really late, I doubt that you will notice too much: nerves/excitement don't tend to make for much hunger ;)

VivaLeBeaver Tue 06-Sep-11 23:30:57

Ring and ask them, they won't mind you asking and then you'd know.

MaMattoo Wed 07-Sep-11 00:09:51

Had first CS (NHS) met surgeon at 9. Had signed papers previous night. In theatre at 9.15am

newbielisa Wed 07-Sep-11 00:22:05

Do be aware that the lists can and do change. I was told I was 5th on the list and to be on the ward for 7.30. Quite soon after arriving was handed gowns and told to change in to them straight away. Somehow I was now first on the list. DD was with us by 9.25.

chorltonandthewheelies Wed 07-Sep-11 07:27:55

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I go to the day bed unit the day before I'll ask if they can find out for me where I'm meant to be on the list and when surgery usually starts. I think its just last minute nerves kicking in for me! I have organised his respite etc for after school but then realised we have to get him to school that morning smile.

MalibuStac Wed 07-Sep-11 07:33:17

I was 1st on the list for 9am but an emergency came up just as I was to go into theartre so I went in at 10.30ish dd was born at dot on 11am. They will be fine about you asking, they may even be able to change your slot if you contact them soon.

hawthers Wed 07-Sep-11 16:12:33

i had an elcs for DS1 and had to be there for 7 am. Kept getting bumped in favour of emergencies and fire alarms in theatre (i kid you not). DS1 eventually born at 14.59.

Had to wait on the labour ward not the greatest experience of my life due to complications with DS1 so take paper/novel/war and peace....

philippas75 Wed 07-Sep-11 16:24:20

When I had my preop was told 2nd on list, they had a seperate ELCS list so no bumping unless absolute crisis taking place. I also had to be there for 7.30am. It was for my DD3 and completely diff experience from giving birth in a positive way

WidowWadman Wed 07-Sep-11 17:03:22

I had to be there at 7:30 AM, I was second on the list and walked to theatre at 11:15. The first on the list was on her way at 9 AM

nannyl Wed 07-Sep-11 17:06:54

ex boss was an aneasthetist, and they started all the operating theatres at 8am in that hospital.... well at least that was the plan!

Chynah Wed 07-Sep-11 22:21:26

Had to be there at 7.30 for both mine wasn't told place on list.

#1 there were 3 of us but I was obviously last and a few EMCSs meant I was in at 3pm in the end.

#2 was told there was one before me on arrival but then I think I was prepped and ready earlier and the consultant came back in and said she'd take me first. DD born at 930am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now