Talk

Advanced search

Those who have had both induction and spontaneous labour, which was worse...

(7 Posts)
scaredoflabour Tue 06-Sep-11 11:37:25

Particularly those who had the drip. I had the drip last time and found it soooo painful. I keep telling myself that this time I'll just go into labour naturally and i'll cope with the pain better. Am I right??

piprabbit Tue 06-Sep-11 11:43:11

They were both fine.

The contractions on the drip were more painful, but I was being monitored and felt looked after and was able to have an epidural and some sort of morphine.

The spontaneous labour was faster and I managed with just some gas and air for the last 15 minutes. But then again most of the labour was spent stuck in traffic jams getting to the hospital, coming home again, then going back to the hospital - I felt very alone and responsible for protecting my baby from arriving in a lay-by.

FormbyDoula Tue 06-Sep-11 15:58:34

Yes you are probably right, scaredoflabour - if you go into labour spontaneously your endorphins will flow along with the natural levels of oxytocin being released by your brain. So it should be much less painful and come on more slowly. So much easier to cope with.

With induction they are putting synthetic oxytocin into your system to start your contractions - but it doesn't do anything for your endorphins so it's often much more painful much more quickly.

With my first (twins) I was induced (artificial rupture of membranes) and I found the contractions really painful really quickly (and the labour lasted 10hrs). With my second (a singleton), I went into labour naturally and it only got really intense in the last hour. I was able to manage on just gas and air both times.

Fear of labour can be quite restrictive - it can make you feel the pain more. Have you read any natural birth books, like Ina Lay's Guide To Childbirth? Highly recommended!

FormbyDoula Tue 06-Sep-11 15:59:52

Sorry that should be Ina May's Guide To Childbirth, of course!

aStarInStrangeways Tue 06-Sep-11 16:01:26

first time (spontaneous) - labour much more manageable but worse birth.

second time (induced with drip) - labour very painful but mercifully short, much better birth.

just g&a for both.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Tue 06-Sep-11 16:04:00

Induction was worse by far. My second labour was 3 hours long and I was just as overdue as the first, but I decided I wanted to do it naturally. It was quick second time, but as it wasn't quite so violently kickstarted it was much easier to cope with.

warthog Tue 06-Sep-11 16:04:37

1st - induced with drip. very painful but i think they also had the drip too high so the labour would go faster. i didn't really get a break between contractions and eventally dh told asked them to turn it down. then it was better.

2nd - natural. not so bad.

3rd - induced with a pessary. easiest and least painful of the lot.

good luck. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now