Talk

Advanced search

Do sweeps work?

(10 Posts)
iskra Tue 06-Sep-11 09:07:22

I went into labour spontaneously with DD1 at 40+14, having refused sweeps. Chatting to DP last night we realised it would be really good if baby wasn't so late this time (he has a big presentation & three night shifts around 40+10!). My midwives this time 'won't let me' homebirth after 40+12.

I don't really believe that any of the sex, curry, pineapple stuff works, are sweeps the same or are they more likely to work?

Sofabitch Tue 06-Sep-11 09:11:28

I think if you are close to going in then yes they do. I had a sweep with ds that kick started contractions. But with dd I had 3 and nothing. Although I had a sweep at lunch time with her and they said my cervix wasn't favourable. Then my waters broke at 7pm that night. So maybe ?

Paschaelina Tue 06-Sep-11 09:14:14

My sweep was at 12.30pm and first contractions around 10pm so theoretically yes, although I was already 3cm dilated at my sweep so maybe it would have happened anyway.

gallicgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 12:21:35

I think if you're almost ready anyway the yes, sweeps work. I had one at 40+7 and contractions started just over 12 hours later. However, I have a friend who had 3 I think with no progress.

Sweeps are more likely to work as they do physically jiggle the membranes IIRC rather than being an old wives tale. No harm in trying anyway.

Why did you refuse sweeps out of interest?

iskra Tue 06-Sep-11 19:54:25

Indeed, no harm in trying! I suppose it is hard to gauge whether labour was about to start anyway without the sweep.

Can't really remember why I refused last time - was very anti-intervention & my midwife didn't push it - she was anti intervention too!

fatbottomgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 23:26:14

Oh yes mine have worked grin I had sweeps with my last 3 children, followed by a bit of action with dh blush and this sent me into labour within half an hour each time.

MaMattoo Wed 07-Sep-11 00:08:03

Had 2. Then needed induction, failed 3 attempts, had CS. Not trying to worry you..but shall repeat cliche - each baby, pregnancy and birth are different. Make no plans....just smile and pretend to be in control! grin

Nicshev Wed 07-Sep-11 00:34:44

It worked for me grin I had mine at 40+8 days!! I had mine around 3 o'clock and my contractions started at 4.30!!! It wasn't the nicest experience blush but is any part of pregnancy/labour!! xx

RnB Wed 07-Sep-11 06:39:30

I had one sweep with ds1 and ds2 which started things of the same day both times.

I had FIVE with dd1 and...nothing

Was finally born at 40+16 after every process of induction

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 07:19:33

I have nothing to base this on other than things I have read on here. If your cervix is totally not showing any signs whatsoever then no it makes no difference and is likely to be painful. If there have been some changes then yes it can.

I am booked in next thurs when I will be 41weeks bit will be making it clear I don't want a sweep if the cervix looks like it's not favourable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now