Talk

Advanced search

Experience of transverse lie?

(7 Posts)
DeSelby Mon 05-Sep-11 21:33:27

I had a growth scan today (36 weeks) which showed baby is lying transverse. My consultant offered ECV, but I'm not keen after reading some horrendous accounts. So I'm to be admitted to hospital next week at 37 weeks until a C section at 39 weeks.

Due to post birth complications in my first birth (retained placenta and PPH) I'm happy to have a C section but I'm not sure why we need to wait until week 39. The baby is 7lbs already with a head circumference of 40 weeks, at 36 weeks. I have to leave my 18 month old while in hospital so would rather the stay is as short as possible - any advice or experiences would be appreciated!

seaweed74 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:39:28

I'll be watching with interest what's said as currently my baby is transverse although i'm only 31+4weeks so hopefully she'll turn.

Did Dr say why you have to spend 2 weeks in hospital before CS rather than stay at home?

EdithWeston Mon 05-Sep-11 21:46:40

ELCS are usually done at around 39 weeks to ensure maximum in utero development. The additional risk before this is not great, but it's avoidable so unless there are reasons why the baby is safer on the outside, it wouldn't be done much before that. Transverse lie wouldn't be a reason for early delivery.

Did they say why they wanted to admit you?

DD stayed transverse or slightly diagonal up to 38 weeks and I was beginning to wonder if we'd need a CS. But she put her head down spontaneously, so yes they can get into position even very late on.

DeSelby Mon 05-Sep-11 22:27:27

I think it's due to the risk of cord prolapse. The consultant just said it would be potentially dangerous if my waters were to break. Obviously I want what's best for the baby, but hate the thought of leaving my son if it can be avoided!

BagofHolly Tue 06-Sep-11 07:59:32

I was admitted on the spot at about 34 weeks with transverse lower twin and a risk of cord prolapse. I had ELCS at 36 weeks. The bit I don't get is why they're admitting you next week? If you're at risk of prolapse then why not admit you now? I was told if the cord propagate they had 10 mins to get the baby out and as I live 30 mins from hospital then I had to come in! I went home that night to pack and to put my toddler to bed, and the consultant was very stern that she was only letting me home for a couple of hours! In your shoes I'd have the ecv. I wasn't offered it as you cant do it on twins.

mumblejumble Thu 08-Sep-11 00:31:10

I am another one with transverse lie at 32 weeks.
I think you should go for the ecv, alot of people have it done successfully. They will have a team ready incase anything went wrong, for emergency c-section. Also they will be monitoring very carefully all the time.
But if you are not comfortable with it, an elective section is not too bad.
Some people do stay home until the section, and sometimes the baby even turns, especially if it is not your first since the baby just has more room to turn. Try looking at spinning babies, for information to turn transverse babies.

MmeBucket Thu 08-Sep-11 01:16:21

I was found to have this at my 36 week appointment with my DS. He turned 2 weeks later, and everything was great. He was a 9lb baby, too, so he wasn't small. If it makes you feel better, I also had a just over 3 hour labour with absolutely no complications, too. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now