Talk

Advanced search

Induction & Pain Relief... How did you cope with the so called 'extra painful' contractions

(30 Posts)
moomsy Mon 05-Sep-11 15:23:31

I am one day overdue and already trying to prepare myself psychologically to the possibility of having to be induced.

I know there are many ways one can be induced but from reading books, forums etc but everyone seems to be agree that the contractions generated due to a oxytocin drip seem to be far worse than contractions that would come on their own.

Is it really possible to go through being induced and still be able to cope with the increased contraction level only on gas & air. Is this the situation when you really have to consider an epidural?

ThePluralOfAnecdoteIsNotData Mon 05-Sep-11 16:05:36

I was induced with dc3 and had no pain relief at all (apart from half a chocolate orange in the early stages) I had a pulmonary embolism and was on blood thining injections so had been told I could not have an epidural and if it went to a c-section I would need a general anaesthetic as I couldn't have a spinal. I was very worried about it as I had heard NO positive induction stories at all, so now feel duty bound to tell people it can be done. I went through the usual sweep, a.r.m, oxytocin drip and despite also being back to back dd arrived safely. But it is not a competition and I would advise anyone considering birth plans to be flexible if you need pain relief take it - there are no medals handed out at the end for bravery or anything else!

PonceyMcPonce Mon 05-Sep-11 16:08:11

I would absolutely consider an epidural.
I have been induced three times, once with and twice without.
Much nicer to have pain relief, but obviously epidural has its own possible complications. Otherwise utterly unremarkable labours (that did hurt like stink)

tbh, at one day overdue, I had not even got the cot out of the loft, so you have loads of time for things to start naturally.

good luck

moomsy Mon 05-Sep-11 16:33:57

Lol - I only done the nursery last week so that means I started early? ;)

I really want a natural one and as strange as it sounds I am actually looking forward to the pain... The epidural scares me a bit in way that I won't be as mobile and the high risk of intervention as a result.

The thought of someone cutting me down there scares me more than a cesarian!

I think I will stop worrying about it, keep an open mind to pain relief and continue to read about positive experiences you guys fancy sharing with me

xx

supadupapupascupa Mon 05-Sep-11 16:40:05

i had an epidural. when the time came i was induced due to distressed baby so went straight onto the drip. planned gas and air, but when it came to it i 'decided' it would make me feel sick and wouldn't let it near me (i have a sickness phobia and i just don't think i would have coped feeling sick at that moment in time)
the epidural was lovely. i needed ventuse for the last push only and did not need an episiotome (excuse spellings)
no after effects.
hth

PonceyMcPonce Mon 05-Sep-11 16:40:06

I honestly think there is not much point in overthinking it at this stage. When and if any of these things become necessary, then you can make a decision. I believe they generally allow you to tear, rather than cut these days, as it heals better, (if you are getting hung up on that), but if push comes to shove (!) then you do what is necessary.

My epidural was fab, I was mobile and did not even need a catheter, so can be great, but epidurals can often be seen as a luxury extra. If there is an emergency, you being in pain comes lower down the list.

DD2 delivery was induced but otherwise drug free , DD3 the same (back to back). No complications or similar.

Just try gentle exercise like walking and swimming, lots of rest - and put on the most expensive silk knickers you can fit in - your waters are then guaranteed to break

moomsy Mon 05-Sep-11 16:53:23

Poncey I will try the silk knickers option LOL!!

Or I can do like my friend - "I will try doing nothing and see what happens"

Her waters broke at 5am this morning... so jealous smile

xx

Flisspaps Mon 05-Sep-11 19:42:59

The lovely midwife asked me if I would like to consider an epidural (my birth plan was along the lines of no CFM, no epidural, no episiotomy, no forceps under any circumstances) as I was probably going to be another 12 hours or so with the Synto drip on full (had already had it on full whack for 3 hours with some lovely G&A).

I could have kissed her.

She said that she's never seen an anaesthetist appear in a room so quickly after his presence was requested either.

She was right, DD was born 12 hours after that.

I did end up with the CFM, episiotomy and forceps as well though.

idlevice Tue 06-Sep-11 08:47:18

The drip is effectively a modern instrument of torture IMO, if used without an epidural. I didn't have one but needed it. If you are unsure, find out what the deal is with getting one if you request one later on in the labour, questions like is there likely to be a wait, what about if it's in the middle of the night, etc

Also make sure your birth partner is aware what one is & that they will keep checking for you that the drip rate is being regularly checked & on the right setting & can back you up on pain relief requests.

Do you know babe's position? If back-to-back it may be more painful as well so an epidural would be even more welcome - which is what I had & never want to have again, thank you very much!

coffeeaddict Tue 06-Sep-11 11:29:40

I had an epidural sited before the drip was even turned on ;)

I would say though that in my experience having an epidural doesn't necessarily mean more chance of tearing or episiotomy. In fact I personally believe the opposite. I have had 4 DC. The one time that I had no pain relief (my epidural fell out) there is no way I could listen to the midwives going 'gently, pant now...'... I was in so much pain and so desperate for the baby to get out, I was just pushing away. With an epidural I was relaxed, mellow and the delivery was far more gradual, giving everything time to stretch and leaving me intact.

And you can stay mobile and you don't necessarily need a catheter. I have never had one.

camerafairy Tue 06-Sep-11 12:25:23

I was induced, laboured very quick and ended up with no pain relief and a forceps delivery and episiotomy (they gave me a local though!) never had a natural labour so can't comment but I can say that the contractions were VERY painful, gas and air was pointless in my opinion! That said I'm glad I didn't have an epidural as for some reason I never fancied one, or forceps, but I hated the contractions so much I would've done anything to get him out so when the MW said we needed forceps I told them to do anything just get him out! funny how your ideals go out the window once labour starts!! It's true what they say though, you forget it so quickly and no matter what happens you will heal!

In a way I'm glad I was induced, I knew what day I was going in and that I'd come out with my baby, it wasn't fun but it was quick!

aStarInStrangeways Tue 06-Sep-11 15:49:19

Flisspaps you had the drip on full for THREE HOURS with just gas and air? Respect. I got up to 4ml p/h over a period of 55 minutes and felt like I'd inadvertently strayed onto the set of a horror film.

Sorry OP, that's probably not very encouraging. I didn't have an epidural because the labour was so quick once the drip got going, but I certainly would have wanted one if I'd thought it was going to go on at that level for hours. And I say that as someone who is fairly frightened of the idea of an epidural.

4madboys Tue 06-Sep-11 16:07:29

i had dd with syntocin drip and managed by staying mobile, using the birth ball to sit and rock on, kneeling and mooing a lot! and using gas and air. she was also back to back, which was awful, but it is managable smile

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 06-Sep-11 16:10:04

I was induced with pessaries and had a 4hr labour. Had pethidine, asked for epidural early on and was refused. Can't remember why now but my mw was a complete cow so she probably just wanted to see me suffer wink

nancerama Tue 06-Sep-11 16:10:36

I was so terrified of a painful induced labour that I actually refused to be induced, hoping the little one would make an appearance naturally. Unfortunately once I was 3 weeks overdue, I had to agree to induction. I managed 30 hours in the delivery suite with just TENS machine, a fair chunk of that time on the evil drip. Gas and air made me sick, and I was incredibly anti medical pain relief. I prepared myself in the weeks leading up to the birth with the Maggie Howell books and natal Hypnotherapy CDs and they really helped.

However as soon as they decided that my labour wasn't progressing and that I needed a c-section I was demanding every pain relief going - I was ready for the epidural by then!

Prepare yourself mentally and keep an open mind. Remember that even if you decide to go down the epidural route, it can be a long wait until you get one, so it's a good idea to have coping mechanisms in place.

Your little one still gas plenty of time to come by his/her self though. Good luck x

moomsy Tue 06-Sep-11 16:13:56

Hi Idlevice - baby is in perfect position, back away from me, head down and head has kind of disappeared down south at the weekend.

I guess I will just play by ear.

One friend who went in not wanting pain relief, begged for one and couldn't have it due to too many cesareans going in at the time really advises me to go with an open mind... and this is exactly what I am going to do!

Having said that... I think my mucus plug came out about 1hr ago... Fingers crossed!!!

Thank you for sharing the experience girls smile

moomsy Tue 06-Sep-11 16:17:51

4madboys... your experience is very inspiring ! I love my birth ball and I will certainly be taking it to the hospital with me. x

Mackrelmint Tue 06-Sep-11 16:23:35

I was terrified of induction too - everywhere it seems to say that it is more painful than natural birth.

On the whole that may be the case, but everyone is different. I have a friend who had an induced labour with only gas and air and found the pain very manageable. I had a very fast (5cm to pushing in an hour) natural labour and found the pain unbearable and uncontrollable. Was desperate for an epidural but there wasn't time (planned homebirth transferred to hospital).

So, induction is not necessarily worse.

Hope all goes well for you! I think you have the right approach just being open to different options and seeing how it goes.

bigkidsdidit Tue 06-Sep-11 16:38:13

I was induced at 12 days over and nothing happened for two days! When contractions finally came they were horrid indeed but I kept muttering 'epidural' 'epidural' and DH was primed to demand one. Once I had the epidural it was great, he birth ( on 40+ 15) was lovely smile

bruffin Tue 06-Sep-11 16:39:41

I was induced for 3 days and was really uncomfotable for all that time, but it was not really painful, but ended up with an epidural which I really regret. It just slowed the birth and ended up in theatre after failed ventuese, in case forceps didn't work.

Next birth I had no pain relief at all and it was more painful, but much easier in the long run.

bigkidsdidit Tue 06-Sep-11 16:39:53

Should say my contractions only got UNBEARABLE when I had to lie down to get my antibiotics for GBS. so stay mobile if you can!

TeddyRuxpin Tue 06-Sep-11 16:54:07

I was induced with an oxytocin drip, had an episiotomy and foreceps delivery with just gas and air. I was in labour for 3.5 hours and it was only when it got to the pushing stage I found the pain terrible. I don't think it helped matters that I had been kept flat on my back in stirrups for the entire labour.
I only have 1 DC so can't compare my labour to another.
I knew before I went into labour I didn't want an epidural as I wouldn't want to lose the feeling in my body.
I would wait and see how you are before you decide for certain on pain relief.

Tonksforthememories Tue 06-Sep-11 17:02:51

I had all 3DCs induced, 2 on syntocin. Gas and air with all 3.

I was very anti epidural, similar to Teddy as i didn't want to be tied down! I stayed on my feet until the last possible moment, and it really helped that the G&A made me really giggly smile

4madboys Wed 07-Sep-11 12:36:39

birth ball is fab, honestly, really helped me cope with contractions and encourages baby to get into a good postion, sounds like things may be happening for you tho op, so fingers crossed xxx

4madboys Wed 07-Sep-11 12:37:44

i also def recomend staying upright and mobile, lying flat on your back is not a good postion to birth and so much more painful.

i pushed kneeling up with three of mine and had another in a birth pool, if you are induced and the pessary works then you can still use the pool but not if you have the drip obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now