Talk

Advanced search

intense itching after c section - driving me crazy!

(7 Posts)
sparklytoes Sat 03-Sep-11 22:52:35

I had an emergency c section 3 weeks ago and since then have developed the most crazy itching I have ever experienced! It mostly is around my stretch marks at my belly button but also very intense on the inside of my legs just above my knees. THere is also a red rash there but that may just be because of the itching? HAs anyone else had this or got any advice to calm it down? I don't know what is causing it and it is driving me crazy.....

SoozleQ Sun 04-Sep-11 01:24:36

I got really itchy after my c-section but it was wherever they had used the surgical tape - so towards the top of my legs to keep the catheter tubes in place or on the back of my hand where the canular was. It also came up in a red rash but was obviously to do with the tape in places as the rash formed a perfect tape shape.

isitmidnightalready Sun 04-Sep-11 02:10:53

Yes - I had awful itching with my first CS - I was scratching myself red raw in many places, but I especially remember the front of my legs. My midwife said it was my hormones going a bit nuts once I had had the baby. It seemed to go on for 2 or 3 weeks and it happened about 4 wks after birth.

I can't remember if she gave me anything ( 13 yrs ago). I had 2 S since and it has not reocurred, if that is any consolation.

Good luck - you have my sympathy.

isitmidnightalready Sun 04-Sep-11 02:12:07

Yes - I remember it around my belly as well. - haven't thought about this for years - but it is all coming back to me now, in the words of Celine Dion

HappyAsASandboy Sun 04-Sep-11 07:19:51

I itched so much it would maker cry. When I eventually saw my GP about it, they suggested it could be a reaction to the morphine/codeine painkillers (which I took for a good few weeks after CS).

I would advise keeping all itch areas well moisturised, and if you can get off any codeine based painkillers without suffering, it might really help. It might be a while after you stop the codeine that your reaction subsides.

Congratulations on your new baby grin

sparklytoes Sun 04-Sep-11 21:03:00

THanks for replies - I wondered if it was hormonal? I think I'm going to make an appointment to see my GP tomorrow, it is really driving me round the bend. I wondered about calamine lotion but don't know if it is ok for breastfeeding. I could cry at night time with it....but then I look at my lovely little girl and think that it is all worth it smile

babylove80 Sun 04-Sep-11 21:49:47

They gave me anti-histamines in hospital for my itching, really helped. Try that xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now