Talk

Advanced search

Transition - what did you say/think?

(37 Posts)

My DS2 will be 1 this week and I can still remember his labour as clearly as if it was this morning.

Three hours before delivery I was adament that they stop the induction and let me go home. Both midwifes said this was transition but I am still sure to this day that I meant it, I really did want to stop with the ridiculously painful contractions and go back to my own bed. I often wonder how many woman are serious about something that is brushed off as transition. While I am aware it would be impossible to halt labour at this stage I wonder if they could have slowed things down a notch, turned down the drip or offered better pain relief. I was asking for an epidural and wasn't given one, however I think this was more down to 'D'H assuming I was just being dramatic hmm

Labour with DS1 was identical in length, induction method, pain relief etc but as DS2 was back to back the pain was much worse therefore this may have impacted on transition.

Just wondered if anyone else felt that their fears/wishes were dismissed as just being normal for labour?

nunnie Thu 01-Sep-11 13:40:30

Not so much fears and wishes with my 2nd, but I do feel I was given a little bit too much there there it will be alright in a minute (in that patronising tone you only tolerate when in labour for some reason), I said from the start something was wrong, and the junior doctor kept examining me and saying he was coming down the birth canal and I was adament with every push he was not moving at all. After 3 and half hours of pushing I was begiing them to listen to me, and eventually a midwife sent for a Consultant who examined me and said my son was brow and not going to come out naturally. If only I had been more assertive but I wasn't.

I am pregnant again and I am sure if it all goes the same way again I will still be the same being assertive doesn't come naturally to me at the best of times, but certainly not going to happen when I have my legs a kimbo.

Cyclebump Thu 01-Sep-11 17:03:11

I was, ahem, firm with the midwife and told her I wasn't wearing 'the f***ing monitor' for another minute and ripped it off. To be fair, the monitor stand was one side of the bed and the gas and air was the other so I think it was reasonable to be a bit cross.

EvaPeron Thu 01-Sep-11 21:12:46

I asked to go home too. Was in hospital being induced but had booked a homebirth. I think I was trying to achieve what I'd planned. I also asked for a bucket. Which the midwife provided.

Zimbah Sat 03-Sep-11 20:08:29

This is something I have wondered about transition too. The feeling of panic and being unable to cope - is it due to the chemical balance involved in transition, or it it because it's actually the point where labour is most painful so it's not surprising women feel that they can't cope? Towards the end I progressed quicker than I thought and had contractions that didn't follow the textbook so I had no idea I could be in transition, I thought I was probably around 6cm. I felt panicky and out of control, and desperate for pain relief (hence headed into hospital at that point and straight on to gas and air). If I'd known that it was transition I think I might have felt a bit less panicked.

SpeedyGonzalez Sat 03-Sep-11 20:15:41

I don't think I had transition in either of my labours. Weird. confused

wompoopigeon Sat 03-Sep-11 20:20:09

I said that I had fucking had enough of this and wanted to go home.
DH and MW stood back and watched me get off the bed and make for the door (naked of course), then get floored (literally) by a massive contraction. When I was lying on the floor they used that as an opportunity to drag me back to the bed and make me carry on. Bastards.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sat 03-Sep-11 20:35:45

"the baby's coming out, its coming out NOOOOWWWWW, i mean now now, its coming, its coming"

or words to that effect.

no midwife in the room at this point, DH ringing the bell like a demented Avon Lady and looking pigsick at possibly having to deliver his own child.

said child arrived after another 3 and half hours of pushing, so he was saved from being that day's newspaper human interest story ... hmm

Georgimama Sat 03-Sep-11 20:38:50

Not much. Too busy shaking and vomiting.

mrspear Sat 03-Sep-11 20:43:04

I managed to turn myself over (i had to labour in pap test position because DS was early) and tried to crawl up the bed saying "had enough, can't do this, i am going home" or words to this effect. I was then flipped back over by the doctor and midwife and the doctor said words i will never forget "your first job as a mother is to deliver this baby now push!" i did too and DS was out 10 minutes later 3lb 6oz

Bert2e Sat 03-Sep-11 21:05:57

With Ds1 transition was a feeling of total and utter panic.

With Ds1 I suddenly got very, very assertive! I did not want the light on, I was not doing a urine sample (I'd just arrived at the hospital and in the end Ds2 arrived 30 mins later), would they please stop asking so many silly questions and get their act together and give me some gas and air. All very calm and polite but very, very assertive!

mumblejumble Sat 03-Sep-11 21:51:31

I think I told everyone they were stupid, and then told the midwife that I love her blush because she was helping me with the G & Agrin

FannyLogan Sat 03-Sep-11 21:54:30

Never noticed transition with either, either.

OnlyWantsOne Sat 03-Sep-11 21:59:14

I told a doctor to fuck off and ripped the CT monitor off and stood up off bed and clung to DP. went from 4cm to delivery of DD2 in 4 minutes.

SpeedyGonzalez Sat 03-Sep-11 23:58:41

Fanny (great name considering the subject matter grin) I'm glad it's not just me! I do, however, tend to make jokes during labour. I am very sociable when in writhing in agony. grin

fraktious Sun 04-Sep-11 08:36:39

Me: "I want an epidural, I want a CS, it hurts too much"

DH: No you don't, you're in transition <proud face for recognising> Do I call the midwife now? <panicking>

Me: What do you think that's going to do?

DH calls midwife, I writhe around begging for my epidural, she offers me gas and air

Me 5 minutes later: This is like being drunk, can we go and feed the ducks now?

peggyblackett Sun 04-Sep-11 08:41:44

Transition for me is shaking, vomiting and crying. Awful. And I have to do it all over again in Jan <puts head in sand>.

LifeOfKate Sun 04-Sep-11 12:31:14

I had an epidural for DS and wasn't aware of transition for DD (too quick I think, she was crowning before I had realised I was pushing), so still not entirely sure what it feels like.
I did, however, politely request demand that DH/midwife remove my back as it hurt too much when pushing with DS blush

EasyFriedRice Sun 04-Sep-11 22:13:46

I was at home. The midwife had left me to it as I was a first timer and 1cm when she examined me so she had gone back to the hospital. 4 hours later I said to my friend, "it's getting a bit hard to handle now". 20 mins after that I was spontaneously pushing, so I'm guessing that was transition grin. The midwife did come back in time for the birth, fortunately, but my friend was totally panicked as she'd pushed both her babies out in 5 mins.

Lougle Sun 04-Sep-11 22:34:25

DD1: (Having been induced, told I was 18 hours away from 'true labour', and refused an internal examination) "What if I can't do this? What if they examine me and I'm only 0.5cm dilated? What if I end up with a C-Section because I can't cope with this pain??????"

In swept a lovely newly qualfied midwife, who went to get the Supervisor of Midwives, to authorise an internal examination because the shift leader had instructed her not to do one for risk of infection.

10 cms Dilated !!!!!!!!!

DD2: 5pm: Had been pushing at 4cms dilated, with midwife thinking I was 10 cms, so they gave pethidine (ugllly stuff). Cue halucinations and in-out of consciousness through the evening.

12.55 am: Sudden breakthrough of clarity. Sat up in bed and exclaimed 'I need to push this baby out, I'm having the baby!!'

5 minutes later, DD2 was born.

DD3: Horribly lucid. Short labour, but midwife was concerned about DD3's HB, so removed the gas and air for the pushing phase. Whimpered 'It hurts sad'

BelQ Sun 04-Sep-11 22:39:19

Said to dh something like 'right, that's it I've had enough. I'm going home. You can stay here and deal with the contractions'. Truly believed I could go home and the labour would continue without me.

His response was 'good luck with that'

I got about 2 feet before the next contraction.

DD born about half an hour later.

strawberrie Sun 04-Sep-11 22:41:39

I snarled " I don't LIKE this bit (of labour)" in the manner of a 3 year old refusing her broccoli. I even remember at the time thinking omg, I am such a cliche!

lollystix Sun 04-Sep-11 22:45:08

I remember shouting 'please someone shoot me-I'll take a bullet now - just please make it stop' and the fanny of a mw telling me that 'surely it wasn't that bad and I was being dramatic' I remember being so much more aware of transition the next time around cos it had really freaked me out.

ObviouslyOblivious Sun 04-Sep-11 22:48:06

I puked.

Soothe Sun 04-Sep-11 22:49:50

begged to die
more than one transition - same request every time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now