Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me where you were/what you were doing when your water broke

(84 Posts)
MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:26:50

so I can try and make mine break grin wink

Just wondered if there was a 'common' time or place...

Mine broke into a trickle after a sweep with dc1, I'm due my second on Saturday and wish they would break themselves this time, I want a big gush and then contractions... Tonight please smile

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 30-Aug-11 22:28:15

1. Broke by mw
2. Broke with a drs head up my fanjo grin
3. Standing in the labour ward.

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:28:40

I mean I want my labour to start tonight, I'm not demanding that everyone come and tell me about their waters breaking right now grin

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:29:33

grin @ number 2 haunted! Did the doc get a wet face?

BooBooGlass Tue 30-Aug-11 22:31:05

My first I was induced so it doens;t count, but I was lying on a hospital bed waitign for soemhtingto happen when I felt a trickle, then went into labour very fast.
With my second, I was climbing out of a nice warm bath and I felt and heard a pop. Again, more a trickle than a pop and straight into big contractions, from nothing to baby in 3.5 hours. Apparently it's quite uncommon for waters to break before any real sign of labour, so I must be a bit of a freak. But I'd say relax and have a bath. Make sure your mind's clea rof all worry too. It was the one day there was no worry about who would have dd if I went into labour, and just like that it happened. Perfect timing.

planetpotty Tue 30-Aug-11 22:32:06

1. Woke up - wet patch in bed - considered going back to sleep! (didnt and the advice is to go to hosp!) No contractions for about 5 hrs after this.

2. About 23 hours into a 24 hour labour - seriously thought I was gonna give birth to the whole flippin' lot! smile

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 30-Aug-11 22:32:15

Well wasn't quite literally. She was approaching with the hooky thing as they went, but as I was in stirrups with the works I think it was a large splash radius so I expect so...

emsyj Tue 30-Aug-11 22:34:05

In the living room in a big gush just as I stood up to take my dirty cereal bowl to the kitchen - about 6.30/7pm. Contractions an hour or two later.

OverthehillsandfarawayNL Tue 30-Aug-11 22:36:27

First time induction so broken by m/wife. Other two times v late on in the labour. Awful with dd3 - I thought I was going to explode - the feeling of pressure was huge! Waters went and she shot out.

LawrieMarlow Tue 30-Aug-11 22:37:14

DS - had been in hospital for a few days due to high BP. Had been asleep and had very vivid dream about two snooker balls crashing into each other. Woke up to extremely wet bed (was the first time I felt glad I was in hospital and for the plastic sheets there). Contractions started properly about 12 hours later.

DD - was prepared for flooding again but in rhe end they were broken during labour.

cantpackwontpack Tue 30-Aug-11 22:39:43

I have 2 children - waters didn't go either time until I was pushing. Started off both times with contractions very close together as first sign of labour.

I had very quick labours - don't know if that has anything to do with it.

teenyweenytadpole Tue 30-Aug-11 22:39:50

Birth 1 - broke at 8cm dilated, I was just getting up off the bed when pop...

Birth 2 - broke during transition, was in a birth pool at the time but felt them go

Not all that many labours begin with dramatic waters breaking, quite often it's established by the time this happens, sorry! Sending big gushy vibes your way though.

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:41:44

<looks for a dirty cereal bowl to take to the kitchen before going to have a bath> I'm going to get in and out of the bath until I hear a pop!

BooBooGlass Tue 30-Aug-11 22:43:40

I do like my baths the hotter side of normal blush I don't know if that had anything to do with it....Maybe add some drops of clary sage to it as well? I personally think that's bollocks but I imagine you're at the 'try anything' stage of being thoroughly over the pregnancy thing.

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:44:49

sad I blame Hollywood, all these movies with the first sign of labour being waters popping.

I just want it to start..... <wails>

I actually don't want to give birth until after midnight tomorrow or else she'll be the tiniest in her class at school, but nowt wrong with trying to get things started smile

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:46:39

Clary sage you say? Hmmm....
yes, anything is worth a try and I'm not even overdue yet!

mumatron Tue 30-Aug-11 22:46:43

Ds- ARM in hospital when I got to 10cm with no urge to push.

Dd1- as I was dropping xp to the pub, drove out of the car park, did a little cough and felt them pop. Drove home got out of car a felt a big gush. Had to grab a towel out of the washing basket so I wouldn't drip onto new carpet. Had the fright of my life when I took the towel away and I appeared to be leaking bright green stuff!(Meconium) No contractions until about 2am and dd born 2.35am

Dd2 in the birth pool. Waters went with a bang at 3.30am dd born 3.39am

Aww, I'm getting broody now! dont tell dp

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 22:49:44

Oooooh I'd love a 35 minute labour.

Yes, il have one like your dd1 please grin

emsyj Tue 30-Aug-11 22:49:50

I did go to my first (and last) Aqua Natal class in the morning on the day my waters broke - worth a shot! And it was quite good for my giant swollen legs too. They deflated (temporarily) quite a bit.

HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 30-Aug-11 22:51:27

Tbh waters do tend to go in late labour when the cervix is very dilated and can't hold the weight of the waters any more the thin sack.just gives way.

MmeLindor. Tue 30-Aug-11 22:53:37

1. broke when I was pushing DD out
2. broke during European cup final, Portugal vs Greece, first half. DH wanted to wait till after the footie. Listened to rest of match in labour suite.

bushymcbush Tue 30-Aug-11 22:55:30

At 10cm dilated while midwife was doing internal exam.

acatcalledfelix Tue 30-Aug-11 23:00:17

I was in bed, and I had one pain that I suspected may be a contraction. 35 minutes later my waters broke with as much of a gush as is possible when you're lying down!

I remember walking up the stairs to the assessment ward and leaking all over the stairs grin

Cheeseandbiscuits Tue 30-Aug-11 23:02:41

Was asleep at 2am, woke up and felt a pop then gushing like niagra falls. Woke DH up, he'd just come off night shifts. He kept repeating "why is my knee wet"? He was very confused. dD born 46 hours later.

ledkr Tue 30-Aug-11 23:08:25

ds2-in the video shop
ds3 in sil front room
dd1 in bed at 7am
dd2 during the birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now