Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding five weeks after episiotomy?

(7 Posts)
camerafairy Mon 29-Aug-11 00:10:42

hello
I had an episiotomy and tears during labour and forceps birth and thought I was healing well but recently I have been very sore and have had some superficial bright red blood on the tissue after having a wee (sorry if tmi) it only appears after a few wipes so seems something gets aggravated, my glands have also swollen and I have felt flu-like... Any ideas what might be going on or similar experiences? I've been too much of a wimp to look or feel and I'm not going to start now, I just can't... Birth was five weeks ago tues so I'm sure I should be almost healed??

Aloha31 Mon 29-Aug-11 12:51:57

Am sure it is ok - I bled for up to 9 weeks, and only now 11 weeks post-birth do I feel relatively back to normal. After what your body has been through, I'm sure there are lots of variations as to what is normal or not.

In your case, it depends how many stitches you had, what kind of tear etc? Your 6 week check should be soon anyway, so mention in then.

Take care of yourself too! Don't rush back into doing things/long walks etc. It is still early days.

zdcgbjm Mon 29-Aug-11 12:56:51

With flu like symptoms I suggest you get checked, you may have picked up an infection.

herethereandeverywhere Mon 29-Aug-11 20:31:25

Get checked out. Friend had similar symptoms and Dr fobbed her off for months. She'd actually had a hematoma which burst and caused damage. I'm sure you won't be the same but please get checked out and don't be fobbed off if you're not satisfied with the response.

ballstoit Tue 30-Aug-11 07:19:17

Agreeing with above, sounds like you may have an infection. Docs today would be my plan.

seeminglyso Thu 01-Sep-11 22:16:15

I had flu symptoms after an episiotomy and my stiches were infected and had all come out! As for the bleeding its so hard to tell with that as you would be bleeding for a while anyway and it does come and go. Best go get it checked although I am sure that is the last thing you want to do sad

camerafairy Tue 06-Sep-11 12:10:37

Hello
I got checked turns out I was stitched too tight and one of them dissolved too quick leaving a small hole which I need checked again at 6wk check (at 7 weeks, nxt week). Doesn't feel right and v uncomfortable so I'm sure there's a slight infection too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now