When our son was born, we decided to pay for the umbilical cord blood to be stored with Future Health. They have now come back and told us that it is contaminated with Streptococcus gallolyticus, and have asked us to decide whether to continue with the storage or to destroy the sample. Unfortunately they have offered no advice on the pro's and con's and indeed seem to be in some disarray. Has anyone got any advice or experience on this, on indeed been through a similar decision - is it possible to still use umbilical cord blood which has been contaminated with the above?
To be honest, I think you will have to pin them down on this.
We banked DS's cord blood with smart cells and there were no problems so far as we are aware but I do recall in the bumpf that they sent that they said the cord blood may be unusable if contaminated.
I guess one way to look at it is to look at your price plan - will it cost you any more from this point on to store it? We paid straight up for 20 years I think so I don't think it would have made a difference to us.
The problem is that we don't really know what we will be able to use cord blood for in the future and so maybe in the future the contamination would not be a problem but I have no idea.
I think they do need your permission to destroy it so maybe that is why they are asking.