Talk

Advanced search

Sterilisation During C Section

(18 Posts)
moocowmrs Sun 28-Aug-11 18:44:30

Was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this, it is something I am considering, it will be my third C Section and I and sure that I can't be pregant again ! this pg has taken alot out of me and I would not want to do it again. So the Consultant said it only adds five minutes to the op, do you think this is really the case ? and I have heard that it makes the whole op much more painful and slows recovery, I can't see how this can be the case but looking for experiences please.

Mytholmroyd Sun 28-Aug-11 19:12:58

Hi moocowmrs - I was sterilised during my fourth CS - didnt notice any difference in the length of the op or the recovery - in fact, I was up and about and mobile faster the last time than any of the others (think the painrelief and anti-inflammatories improved a lot). Its just a case of "tying tubes" isnt it - not a major thing (once you are already unzipped anyway grin

RosMyerswannabe Sun 28-Aug-11 19:23:22

I was offered thus during my last CS but was also advised that 1 in 200 are unsuccessful whereas for a vasectomy the failure rate is 1 in 2000! That was a good enough reason for me to not bother!

5inthebed Sun 28-Aug-11 19:31:55

I had mine done during my 3rd (and last) section. Ddin;t notice it taking too much time, and noticed no difference in the healing.

However, the first few times I was due on, the pains I got in my ovaries/fallopian tubes has horrific and required bed rest for at least half a day.

Saying that, I'd still go through it again as don't want to risk another pregnancy, as much as I'd love another.

EttiKetti Sun 28-Aug-11 19:33:36

I was advised against it, something about tubes being swollen during pregnancy meaning its not as effective and can fail more? Could have been mislead, but I sent DH for a vasectomy instead ;)

moocowmrs Sun 28-Aug-11 19:38:44

Umm interesting will have to have a long think, the stats I was given due to it being a section was 1 in 100 fail, which is not great but that same as condoms so not that bad.
I wondered if there was any test to be done to see if it had worked?

5inthebed Sun 28-Aug-11 20:33:35

The only test is not getting pregnant AFAIK grin

moocowmrs Sun 28-Aug-11 20:58:48

umm as I thought !!

1944girl Sun 28-Aug-11 22:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1944girl Sun 28-Aug-11 22:52:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Continuum Mon 29-Aug-11 17:55:54

I will be having this done during my c-section in October. I was also quoted the 1 in 200 failure rate, which I am happy with.

Back when I had my last c-section there was a woman on the ward who'd had it done with hers and she said there was a little more pain due to it, but nothing too uncomfortable and she was up and about and everything earlier than me, tho hers was an elcs and I'd had an emcs.

moocowmrs Tue 30-Aug-11 15:17:27

Think I am going to go for it, the consenus is that there may be a little more pain but think that in the long run it will be easier ! Will let you know Continuum how I get on, good luck with your new arrival x

sunchild77 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:22:26

Is this routinely offerred at 3+ C/s? It is something I would def like to consider, but it wasn't even mentioned at my 20 week consultant app.

Mytholmroyd Tue 30-Aug-11 18:22:24

I was offered it at 3 but wasnt sure and the consultant said you have to be sure. I was sure when it came to 4th op.However, eEven then at the point of doing it I had to confirm to the surgeon again that I did want it doing!

moocowmrs Tue 30-Aug-11 19:51:20

The consultant that I saw at 35ish weeks mentioned it however I had been thinking about it. I say mentioned it, it was the first thing that he said, it went something like Good morning, Have you thought about sterlisation ! All I could think was that I must look awlful and like a women who should not have any more children !!!! You can't decide on the day has to be at least a week before, but he said you can decide not to on the day iynwim !
Might be a different policy for each Trust.

Continuum Tue 30-Aug-11 20:16:06

Thanks moocowmrs!

sunchild77: You can just bring it up at an appointment anyway. I asked, and first doctor I saw said they don't usually do it after only two children!! I think I (and dh) are old enough to know how many children we want! I brought it up again last time I was at the hospital at 32 weeks and a different doctor had nothing like that to say and it was recorded in my notes and when I go in at 36 weeks and have my c-section booked I'll be signing the consent for the tubal as well.

harrygracejessica Wed 31-Aug-11 00:48:54

I begged from my 8 week booking in appointment until 34 weeks when they agreed!!! It was for my 3rd section but 2nd lot of twins so I gad 5 kids in 4 years and 1 month and my body was saying no more!!! Recovery no worse but I'm finding periods alot heavier and more painful!

LittleMissFlustered Thu 01-Sep-11 13:41:14

Five in four years! Bless you! No wonder you got the ball rolling.

I'm hoping to avoid a section, but if it comes to it and it's necessary for any reason, I'll be requesting the sterilisation too. Two birds with one sharpened stone as it were...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now