Talk

Advanced search

Will I have to take nail varnish off for elcs?

(17 Posts)
Boosaphena Sat 27-Aug-11 09:33:48

Sounds trivial but I've been promised a pedicure and don't want to be having one to just have to take nail varnish off before birth. Money is tight, I don't get any/many treats so I want it to last!!!

littlemisslozza Sat 27-Aug-11 09:36:04

Yes you will have to take it off.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 27-Aug-11 09:37:17

YEP - they remove it if you haven't.

Boosaphena Sat 27-Aug-11 09:40:05

Booooooo that's not fair!
Thanks for replying.

GiraffesHaveMoreFun Sat 27-Aug-11 09:51:59

You'll only need it removed if you need a spinal block or GA.

I had clear nail polish on and it was fine (spinal block) - they just need to be able to see toe nails as if they go blue it means there's a problem.

GiraffesHaveMoreFun Sat 27-Aug-11 09:52:24

Will read thread title properly next time. Elcs=yes.

Slainte Sat 27-Aug-11 10:00:39

I had an emergency cs with painted toenails and had had an epidural in for the two days prior to the section and the varnish was left on and it was bright red so fairly obvious. I asked my SIL, a nurse, about this and she said they'd probably remove finger nail varnish but no need to remove from toes. Best to check with your midwife I'd say.

Hulababy Sat 27-Aug-11 10:07:09

For a GA - yes. I had a couple of ops and had to have all varnish removed.

For a local/spinal - might depend on the hospital, I was told you shouldn't have any varnish on

SlinkyB Sat 27-Aug-11 10:11:42

I had an emcs this Jan, spinal block, and had to remove toe-nail polish so I wouldn't just in case.

PrincessScrumpy Sat 27-Aug-11 14:56:11

I'm having one next Friday and have been told no nail varnish on toes or fingers - if you have an emergency one they often take varnish off one nail.

casperella Sat 27-Aug-11 15:05:07

I've had an EMCS and my toe polish was removed beforehand

shelley72 Sat 27-Aug-11 15:14:27

i had ELCS and kept my polish. the theatre midwife even commented on how beautiful the pedicure was! i have also had an ERPC under GA and was able to keep polish for that too. maybe depends on hospital so may be best to ask your midwife. good luck!

Meglet Sat 27-Aug-11 18:34:52

Yes. I had to take it off for my ELCS.

They took it off all my toes for my EMCS and they didn't do it very neatly. My toes were a smudgy mess for days.

QTPie Sat 27-Aug-11 20:30:11

Maybe have a pedicure with clear nail varnish?

QT

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 27-Aug-11 22:32:26

I had an EMCS and I was able to keep my toe polish on but had to remove my nail polish. Could have easily done it the other way around, they said they just needed one or the other. But if yours is elective I might wait until after the birth to have one.

TheDetective Mon 29-Aug-11 00:56:21

Please tell me that was said in jest Meglet! I'd rather have smudgy toes than something happen to my baby or me because they spent time carefully removing the polish off my toes!

Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 09:59:29

decetive yes it was said in jest. They did make a mess though, it was all over my toes and stained! They're like the A-Team when you get whizzed through for a cs, no hanging about grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now