Talk

Advanced search

How long did you bleed after a c section?

(20 Posts)
BellaBells Thu 25-Aug-11 09:41:59

I had my c section on 08/08/11 and I'm still bleeding bright red blood with clots... Is this normal? I have read that the blood should become darker within 2 weeks. When should you start to worry about the bleeding?

Helzapoppin Thu 25-Aug-11 10:29:46

I had mine on the same day as you! Still bleeding, blood dark red, not brown/pink though as it was by now after last section, some small clots. It has decreased a lot in the past week though. I know that lochia can be heavier after a section, and last time a found my bleeding came and went for about six weeks. Pehaps just call mw/gp if concerned, especially if blood is bright red. Hope all's okay though.

Justfeckingdoit Thu 25-Aug-11 10:31:36

Had mine in June, about 2-3 weeks.

Call HV if you are worried.

BellaBells Thu 25-Aug-11 11:02:23

Ok thanks ladies, I think I will give HV a call. And Helza, it's the best birthday! grin

jess77 Thu 25-Aug-11 11:33:49

About 6 weeks for me.
Also kept waning and then coming back, oddly, which I was a little concerned about. All turned out fine.
As others have said, if you're not sure call someone. I did.
Lovely isn't it? I naively wasn't expectiing to bleed after a CS, what an idiot!

chrisrobin Thu 25-Aug-11 11:42:10

Mine went on for about 7 weeks after both of my CS, it was certainly after the 6 week check that it stopped. However, if you are concerned you should ring someone to put your mind at rest.

Jacanne Thu 25-Aug-11 12:25:58

I bled for about 6 weeks with all 3 of mine - I would find that the blood would come back redder if I did too much. So even a walk to the shops could make the bleeding heavier even when it had been brown and light before hand. so make sure you're not doing too much smile

Tinkerisdead Thu 25-Aug-11 12:28:47

Mine was about 6 weeks and again it was wane and then come back red and fresh looking as at the start.

WiiUnfit Sun 28-Aug-11 17:14:49

I bled for 6 weeks too, it was sometimes bright red, sometimes darker. If you're worried, contact your GP.

PestoCaffeinisto Sun 28-Aug-11 17:18:43

Have had 2 C-sections and it was for 6 weeks after each.

banjaxedfilly Sun 28-Aug-11 17:20:33

Three bloody months here. (excuse the pun). Was just about to go for an ultrasound when it finally stopped.

Boosaphena Sun 28-Aug-11 22:37:13

Blimey. I had no idea it would last so long. Elcs booked for 6th oct. Maybe I should buy in more then 3xpacks of pads!!

titferbrains Sun 28-Aug-11 22:44:50

Do u need maternity pads for all the time the bleeding is going on??

maxpower Sun 28-Aug-11 22:47:15

about 6/7 weeks IIRC

Boosaphena Mon 29-Aug-11 09:50:40

Titfer I think you can use either just not tampons. I've always found normal pads make me feel sweaty as they are plastic backed.

PrincessJenga Mon 29-Aug-11 13:36:43

I had mine a few days after you and am still bleeding heavily. And yes, titfer, you'll need more pads than you ever imagined!!

duchesse Mon 29-Aug-11 13:40:09

I never even used up my one and only pack of maternity pads. They must have removed every bit of membrane they could because by day 3 I only had a light pink discharge.

Has your community midwife said anything about that level of bleeding? Two weeks of heavy bleeding sounds like quite a lot to me- probably enough to make you anaemic. Are you still taking pregnancy iron and vitamins?

Congratulations on the birth of your baby btW!

Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 13:40:52

My EMCS and ELCS were about 6 weeks until it really stopped.

titfer AFAIK it's best to use maternity pads to start with as it's easier to monitor blood loss but it's ok to change to normal pads once it's slowing down. IIRC I used maternity pads for 1-2 weeks then sanitary towels.

sprinkles77 Mon 29-Aug-11 13:44:35

I bled heavily for less than a week, and then lightly and on and off for another 2. I think I got off lightly though! I've still got several packs of pads for "next time". Just used normal pads for the first week, then Always Normal Long pantyliners after that in the day and pads at night. Didn't use the maternity pads cos not sure if they had wings and I wanted wings! Also used the long pantyliners stuck to the front of my knickers to catch the little bit of fluid coming out of my scar. You're not meant to use tampons cos your cervix is still a bit open and there is a risk of infection.

Cheria Mon 29-Aug-11 13:55:54

I bled for about 6 weeks, despite not breastfeeding more than 2 weeks. If you're worried though you should get it checked out.

Just an aside. NOT ONE PERSON OR BOOK warned me about the horrific 6 week "period" following childbirth / C Section. It's scary when you don't know what to expect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now