Talk

Advanced search

Transport to hospital when in labour

(5 Posts)
LittleOne76 Tue 23-Aug-11 18:58:35

Hi - just wondering how everyone got to the hospital or is planning to get the hospital when they go into labour.

We don't have a car so driving ourselves in isn't an option. Would you taxi/book a licensed mini-cab? I'm assuming it's not an emergency - am thinking we'd call an ambulance is that was the case.

GetDownYouWillFall Tue 23-Aug-11 19:01:55

Yes I'd probably get a taxi. Can't imagine using a bus or train when in labour shock

You need to ring them before hand though and make sure they are happy to take women in labour. Some taxi firms have a policy against it so I've heard (tho how they justify that I don't know).

How far away is the hospital? Is there a neighbour or friend that could be on standby to give you a lift? I think that would be the best option really.

DilysPrice Tue 23-Aug-11 19:12:57

We used a minicab - I sat on a folded up towel just in case.

nunnie Tue 23-Aug-11 19:16:37

I have a neighbour on standby if DH isn't able to get home or is uncontactable for whatever reason.
This is my 3rd and my previous two progressed quickly so I thought it best to have a backup.

Taxi isn't an option for me because the nearest firm is over 20 minutes drive from my village, then there is a further 30 minute drive to hospital and I don't think I have that amount of time, or I would spend it in a panic knicker checking for hair that isn't mine.

I also have and fingers crossed she isn't working an ex nurse/midwife/ward sister over the road if I feel things are getting heated.

Am hoping this one comes early morning or late night like previous two so DH is here.

CalmInsomniac Wed 24-Aug-11 14:28:00

Don't know if it's something you'd consider, but I chose a homebirth because of not having ready transport. That way people come to you and you don't have to move grin.
When I got to 40+13 we arranged for a close friend to drive us to hospital for induction. Luckily labour started before that so I didn't need to go.
We did have to go to A&E with DD when she was 4 days old because she developed breathing problems. We called a taxi that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now