Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Transport to hospital when in labour

(5 Posts)
LittleOne76 Tue 23-Aug-11 18:58:35

Hi - just wondering how everyone got to the hospital or is planning to get the hospital when they go into labour.

We don't have a car so driving ourselves in isn't an option. Would you taxi/book a licensed mini-cab? I'm assuming it's not an emergency - am thinking we'd call an ambulance is that was the case.

GetDownYouWillFall Tue 23-Aug-11 19:01:55

Yes I'd probably get a taxi. Can't imagine using a bus or train when in labour shock

You need to ring them before hand though and make sure they are happy to take women in labour. Some taxi firms have a policy against it so I've heard (tho how they justify that I don't know).

How far away is the hospital? Is there a neighbour or friend that could be on standby to give you a lift? I think that would be the best option really.

DilysPrice Tue 23-Aug-11 19:12:57

We used a minicab - I sat on a folded up towel just in case.

nunnie Tue 23-Aug-11 19:16:37

I have a neighbour on standby if DH isn't able to get home or is uncontactable for whatever reason.
This is my 3rd and my previous two progressed quickly so I thought it best to have a backup.

Taxi isn't an option for me because the nearest firm is over 20 minutes drive from my village, then there is a further 30 minute drive to hospital and I don't think I have that amount of time, or I would spend it in a panic knicker checking for hair that isn't mine.

I also have and fingers crossed she isn't working an ex nurse/midwife/ward sister over the road if I feel things are getting heated.

Am hoping this one comes early morning or late night like previous two so DH is here.

CalmInsomniac Wed 24-Aug-11 14:28:00

Don't know if it's something you'd consider, but I chose a homebirth because of not having ready transport. That way people come to you and you don't have to move grin.
When I got to 40+13 we arranged for a close friend to drive us to hospital for induction. Luckily labour started before that so I didn't need to go.
We did have to go to A&E with DD when she was 4 days old because she developed breathing problems. We called a taxi that time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: