I have an appt with a consultant this afternoon to request an early induction of labour. I am just wondering if other people have experience of this and how hard are they usually to convince them to agree??
I am 40+5 today with DC3 Both previous DCs were born early/at term. This is the latest I have gone. I have had a membrane sweep on my due date which was unsuccessful. MW tried to do another sweep this morning and couldnt do it as cervix was too high and unfavourable.
Standard induction policy here is Term + 14 days which isnt till next Thursday.
This pregnancy (for the first time) I have SPD. I am in constant pain and its getting worse as each day goes by. Its horribly painful just to walk. I am struggling to look after my 2 DCs with it. I cant get comfortable to sleep so am just getting more and more exhausted. On a good night I am getting 4 hours ish broken sleep.
I am going to beg them to induce me at term + 7 days (This Thursday) instead of term + 14. As far as I understand, the disadvantage of an early induction when my body is not ready to go into labour naturally is mostly that it will take longer/be tougher and perhaps lead to increased interventions. I am planning to tell the consultant that I understand these disadvantages but still see this option as much more favourable than an extra 7 days in constant increasing pain and discomfort to wait for a later induction.
The baby is a good size, is healthy and have had no problems during the pregnancy (apart from the SPD)
How likely do you think it is they will agree to the early induction? and is there anything else I should be thinking about or discussing??
Oh god, I hope so. I have been gearing up for a battle over it as my MW doesnt seem very interested/symmpathetic at all and was all 'well I'll get you an appt with the consultant if you like, they normally like to wait till + 14 days but I guess you can see what they say' kind of response
I would hope given your pain there wouldn't be much need to convince them. You could if you wish raise concerns about the efficiency of the placenta at post 40 weeks but I would think if you are firm that they will go ahead.
I was induced at 37 weeks for social reasons. 4th baby so dr was totally unconcerned about longer labour/interventions and she was right, DC arrived 40 mins after waters were broken
I'm afraid I can't find link now but with subsequent babies you are at no higher risk of intervention than someone who hasn't been induced.
And on a slightly more optimistic note... How likely is it that having seen the mw about 2 hrs ago who said I'm nowhere near going into labour, that I might be going into labour?!? Am sure I am having contractions, but prob just braxton hicks mixed with wishful thinking!