Advanced search

Big Baby!!!! C-Section?

(8 Posts)
KittyDeTour Mon 22-Aug-11 19:47:08

Just come back from anti-natal clinic at the hospital. Am 34 weeks and everything is fine except I have a huge baby! Consultant stated that he weighs around 6lbs and 5oz already and I am a little scared. Had an emergency C-section with my 1st daughter who weighed 8lbs and 10oz because she got stuck and I wasn't able to have her naturally, she was 2 weeks late. 2nd daughter was overdue by 8 days and weighed 6lbs and 7oz but I managed to have her naturally as a VBAC. Even so, I ended up in theatre with a 3rd degree tear. So as you may imagine, am a little daunted at the prospect of having a whopper!!!! I am not suffering from gestational diabetes and am not over weight so am a little confused about the size of this baby!!! Have to go back to see consultant at 38 weeks as although a c-section has been booked for my due date, they need to "go over" things with me. Do you know whether they may bring a C-Section forward or let things run their course? Has this happened to anyone else at all? Thanks very much!!!

MrsHoolie Mon 22-Aug-11 21:37:55

Hi.I would have thought they would book you in for a c section at 38 weeks rather than wait for 40 weeks?

Do you want a c section or another Vbac?

I had 8 scans with DS as my bump was massive. The last scan said he was 9lb and he came out 10lb 6oz and 2ft long,but he did have a small head!
I tried to have a vbac with him but ended up with another section as I didn't dilate past 4cm.

I was given a choice whether to have an ELCS or vbac. I just couldn't decided though!

KittyDeTour Tue 23-Aug-11 06:37:13

Hi there
They didn't find out the size until yesterday as I went in for low fetal movements. Luckily, everything is fine but the size of the baby was detected then. My bump isn't very big yet so it was a surprise for all of us!!! The consultant was adamant they I come in at 38 weeks so I'm wondering if they would bring it forward? Have a mid wife appointment next week so maybe I could discuss it with her. Sounds like you had the same problem that I did with my first poor thing. I was induced but to no avail!!!!

KittyDeTour Tue 23-Aug-11 06:38:01

Oh and BTW I think I would settle for a C-Section!!!!!!

philippas75 Fri 26-Aug-11 15:09:34


I had an ELCS at 39 weeks 9 weeks ago as baby was measuring big and due to a previous 4th degree tear they didn't want (neither did I) to deliver vaginally. She was measuring 6lb 8 + or - 15oz at 34 weeks but all her measurents were at 38-39 weeks then. It was agreed if I went into labour before I could have a section semi electively I.e. When I arrived. Baby was 10lb 15.5 oz so happy I had it.

Could you not ask for a similar arrangement just in case?

KittyDeTour Mon 29-Aug-11 13:59:25

Hi there thanks for your reply. I am thinking about that definately. I am going to the midwife's tomorrow for a check so I will ask them there. I am supposing that they may book me in earlier at the 38 week appointment. Fingers crossed!!! Oh and congratulations on you recent arrival!!!

rachelfruitloop Wed 31-Aug-11 23:26:10

I had a sort of similar experience to yours, DS1 was 9 lbs 12 oz and delivered with forceps as a last resort, leaving me with a third degree tear. Won't go into all the gory details but I was quite traumatised and when I became pregnant again I thought for sure I'd want an ELCS. The consultant midwife was great and assured me that if I did it once (VB), I could do it again, but ultimately left it up to me.

My scan at 34 weeks estimated DS2's weight at nearly 7 lbs. I also didn't have gestational diabetes, big babies are a family tradition! Long story short, because I had already pushed out a big baby, I figured I'd try again, but if it got to be too much the consultant assured me they'd opt for a CS before it was too late. (Not sure what would have actually happened in that instance, but it was the reassurance I needed to hear!)

I delivered DS2 in the birthing pool in under 3 hours from start to finish. Had a couple of stitches for a minor tear. He weighed 11 lbs 2 oz. I was euphoric for days! It was a stark contrast to my first birth experience.

I think it is possible to have a VB with a great outcome. I think you should trust your instincts - as you've had experience of VB and CS, especially. Had I known what to expect with a CS, I probably would have opted for it. The idea of it being calm and scheduled was very alluring.

scarlettlips Thu 01-Sep-11 13:09:01

DD was 9lb 13oz...thank god for cs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now