Talk

Advanced search

Take formula to hospital?

(18 Posts)
willow3006 Mon 22-Aug-11 18:26:57

Hi there

I'm just thinking about what to put in my hospital bag and have what might be a stupid question! I'm having twins and I'm not planning on breastfeeding so do I take formula, bottles, etc with me or do the hospitals have their own formula they use?

Willow

BertieBasset Mon 22-Aug-11 18:28:35

My hospital had formula if you requested it, but I don't think all hospitals do. Probably best to ask your midwife

RitaMorgan Mon 22-Aug-11 18:30:02

Most hospitals will only provide it for medical need now I think - if you are set on no breastfeeding then you should probably bring your own.

SaulGood Mon 22-Aug-11 18:35:23

I'd double check but most will expect you to take your own with you.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 22-Aug-11 19:35:56

My limited knowledge tells me that if you plan to bottle feed then you need to supply formula. The hospital will provide it if you cannot bf or there are medical reasons.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 22-Aug-11 23:21:42

The JR at Oxford supplied it. Have you considered giving the twins your colostrum for the first 48 hrs then switching to formula so their tummies get lined with it in preparation for the milk?

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 22-Aug-11 23:22:45

Take your own.

willow3006 Tue 23-Aug-11 10:59:47

Thanks. Looks like I'l take mine just in case. I don't have a midwife to ask. For some reason (because it's twins?) I only ever see consultants.

lurcherlover Wed 24-Aug-11 13:52:57

I'm not an agresssive breastfeeding pusher, I promise, but can I ask why you've ruled it out straight away? Only because breastfeeding twins might turn out easier than bottlefeeding them...washing/sterilising/making up bottles for two babies is a lot of work, plus the cost of formula for two babies...you can feed twins simultaneously, and you could supplement with formula later on if you wanted to (or switch to formula if it's not for you) - but it's easier to give up breastfeeding having tried than to not try and then change your mind that you'd like to give it a go. If you at least gave them the colostrum for the first few days it would be so beneficial to their health, and you never know, you might decide to stick with it. Plus it's a quick and easy way to soothe babies to sleep, which might help with twins!

nunnie Wed 24-Aug-11 14:08:29

I have brought a box and am taking a couple with me to hospital I got the ready made bottles that the hospitals supply. Was unprepared last time and due to complications really wasn't in the right frame of mind to breastfeed but thankfully they supplied me with FF. This time I am going in prepared for everything.

willow3006 Wed 24-Aug-11 14:11:42

Hi Lurcherlover

I'm going back to work pretty much straight away and also am going to try quite a strict routine (Gina Ford style) so it will be easier for me to know exactly how much they have had which is not so easy when breastfeeding.

Thanks for the advice anyway though. I still may try to do the first 2 days colostrum bit yet - am still unsure.

Grainger Wed 24-Aug-11 14:13:00

I've just had my second baby in northern ireland. They supply milk in the hospital here. I assumed that because the baby is technically a patient that milk is supplied in all uk hospitals?!

nunnie Wed 24-Aug-11 14:16:46

bought sorry not brought. And if I do FF there is a stash for DH to bring later, that's why I am only taking a couple to start off with if that makes sense.

wigglesrock Wed 24-Aug-11 14:44:42

I've had 3 in NI as well, formula supplied by hospital. You can buy them already made up in the glass bottles with the teats seperate - same as hospitals use if you need to bring them in.

QTPie Wed 24-Aug-11 15:59:58

Hi

(not pushing breastfeeding either - think it should be totally up to the individual mother - but wanted to add some input).

My LO naturally gravitated towards a GF style routine (VERY similar timings!) by 5/6 weeks old. I was breastfeeding (did until 11 months) and "breastfed to routine" (and not "on demand") all those months. It really worked for us: LO started sleeping through by 3 months. Also both LO and I always "knew where we were": I could get on and do things inbetween feeds a d he never cried with hunger.... I didn't worry about how much breastmilk LO was getting - just fed him to the routine a d he piled on the weight like a little bruiser! ;)

Yes things ate different with twins (and, from what friends with twins have said, good routine is key to parental survival), but just wanted to say that "breastfeeding and GF style routine are very compatible".

Not sure if this your first DC, but it was mine. I bought formula and went very much with the attitude "I'll see how it goes". LO was a natural breastfeeder (straight after ELCS) and I got no pain/cracking/bleeding (used lots of Lansinoh). We were incredibly lucky and - despite my fears - it just worked.

So, you never know.... Good luck whatever you decide smile

BagofHolly Wed 24-Aug-11 17:58:13

Breastfeeding twins is totally possible. Its hard, but doable. Don't think you can't just because you're having twins. (Don't know what the motivation for your decision is.) I have twins by the way.

noyouhavehadawee Wed 24-Aug-11 18:02:23

Hiya willow, good luck with your twins, if you ring the post natal ward at the hospital thy will advise you. Ours (north tees and south tees) provided little made up bottles for ff babies.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 24-Aug-11 21:17:57

You can ask the consultant or call the labour ward - I'm having twins in a week and a half (if they stay put until then) and the lovely mw on the labour ward told me to call with any questions. Most do tours too so if you did a tour you could ask then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now