Talk

Advanced search

operation to restitch

(6 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Sun 21-Aug-11 13:32:19

hi
I had my son 8 weeks ago, it turned into an emergency and he was delivered by forceps followed by a week in SCBU. To me it was all pretty horrific. I had a 3-4cm episiotomey. I was warned a couple of weeks afterwards by a midwife that though it was healing well it looked like I had granulated tissue. At my 6 week appt the Doc checked it and advised that I get it recut and the scar tissue removed.
I hate the scar, it feels like a permanent reminder of how awful my sons birth was and I hate that I cant have sex, walk very far, ride my bike etc without pain but I dont think I can bear to go back to the hospital and go through the pain of the stitches and healing again. Writing this im realising that basically i am frightened.
Has anyone else had scar tissue removed? What was the recovery like in comparison with the first time round? How long did it take for you to feel 'normal' again? if you had a difficult birth did getting it fixed help you deal with it?

Thanks in advance

metalelephant Sun 21-Aug-11 14:22:17

Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time, I had a similar choice to make, though in my case it was a case of being overstitched rather than scar tissue. For more than a year after my son was born sex was torture, all due to one extra stitch apparently... The lovely doctor I was referred to explained the procedure very clearly, and was sympathetic and nice. My stitch was removed and the entrance to the vagina refashioned a bit.

I still feel a bit tighter than before birth but it's been a fantastic change to our sex life, it very quickly felt like fun and not something to be afraid of! I'm due to give birth to our second in a few weeks, and a little bit worried of what new damage may occur. The ob said that it's likely the area will stretch out a bit and I shouldn't worry.

I think that sometimes they prefer to avoid surgery until you have had your desired children as any surgery may weaken the area a little. Still, in my case there would simply be no other children if I hadn't had the op in the first place!

Good luck!

metalelephant Sun 21-Aug-11 14:23:12

Also, forgot to say it's really early yet, just 8 weeks after birth... Give yourself time to heal and congratulations!

cece Sun 21-Aug-11 14:26:23

I had mine done when DD was about 10 months. Had it done under local anasthetic and went back to work the next day. It really was no big deal.

first1 Sun 21-Aug-11 21:48:27

I had mine completely redone when dd was three months under general anaesthetic. I went privately because the surgeon I wanted had a six month Nhs waiting list and the pain for me to do absolutely anything was unbearable so the idea of waiting that long to be fixed was torture in itself. I think I was on paracetamol and nurofen for a week after the op

UnChangeDeNom Sun 21-Aug-11 21:52:31

Having this done on weds! Dd is 6 mths. Pm me with any questions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now