Talk

Advanced search

Evening primrose oil...

(11 Posts)
nannyl Sat 20-Aug-11 09:42:55

can anyone remind me what the rules / procedure is to use EPO to help reduce tearing and make baby come naturally

im 37 weeks tomorrow (but at the same time i dont really want to encourage baby to come before 1st September)

I have 500mg capsules.
i think you can take them orally and insert them internally, and im wondering when i need to start.

Now?

nannyl Sat 20-Aug-11 17:11:57

anyone??

GetDownYouWillFall Sat 20-Aug-11 18:07:48

I think once you are full term it's ok. So anytime from now.... but I would wait till sep 1st if you don't want it to come before then, just in case smile

I am 37 weeks on wednesday, so very close behind you!! I am not doing anything to speed up the arrival this time. DD was born at 38 weeks and was tiny and didn't want to feed. Am hoping this one stays in a little longer (not too long mind!!)

nannyl Sat 20-Aug-11 22:30:22

thanks for that smile
does anyone else know?

I thought EPO helps reduce the chance of tearing rather than speeding things up? Maybe i got the wrong end of the stick?

Sam100 Sat 20-Aug-11 23:19:30

Are you thinking of perineum massage? I can't remember what oil I used (been a while grin) but massaged oil into perineum over last few weeks. I think it worked - had stitches with dc1 but only a couple after ventouse delivery and no stitches for dc2. Had a few for dc3 but he was very quick and virtually flew out!

nannyl Sun 21-Aug-11 08:55:09

i dont think so

i have some perrenial massage oil here too, (which doesnt contain EPO (just checked!)) which i am trying to do sometimes.

Im sure i have read about taking EPO and nearer the time inserting it internally as well, but im not sure when excatly im supposed to do it LOL.

thanks for your help Sam smile

YougreatPamplemousse Sun 21-Aug-11 09:00:07

EPO helps soften the cervix making ready/easier to dilate. You can take upto 3000mg orally a day and once you get closer you insert 2 capsules internally before bed, body heat melts the capsule and the oil sits against the cervix. When inserting inernally make sure you wear a pad to bed as the excess escapes as soon as you move! I took it orally for 6 days and internally for 3 days with DD2 she was born at 39+6 after an hour's labour.

BobbieSox Sun 21-Aug-11 09:07:18

Funnily I have just come on here this morning to ask the same! Having done a quick google - (disclaimer - obviously this is not medically sound advice!) you can apparently start to take the tablets from 34 weeks and internally from 36 weeks.

I'm 36+1 so I was thinking of starting the tablets today and then possibly internally from the 1st September although last pregnancy I only did this once and had a show the next day which kind of scared me, so I might wait for the internal effect until I'm sure I'm ready for it to arrive, IYSWIM

nannyl Sun 21-Aug-11 09:23:57

thanks.

well im 37 weeks today so perhaps ill start with just 1 a day (orally) this week, maybe 2 a day (1000mg) next week and not insert anything until 1st September, when i will be 38 and a half weeks. smile

my EPO capsules (500mg) say take up to 6 a day (which surprised me) and also did NOT say do not take / consult a dr if pregnant, which also surprised me too!
(only warning was for people with epilepsy)

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 22-Aug-11 12:10:37

I took them orally pretty religiously from 36 weeks, didn't dare take them internally though! DS was born a week late and I still tore, but the labour was only 9 hours start to finish, so I suppose they might have helped to speed things up a bit for me once labour actually started.

RockChick1984 Wed 24-Aug-11 00:01:27

Perrineal massage using any plain oil (evening primrose, grapeseed etc) is meant to help reduce risk of tearing, although it didn't work for me! Evening primrose contains prostaglandins which help soften the cervix to encourage labour, there's no proof that it works but lots of anecdotal evidence about it. I put 1 high strength capsule up there each night from week 39 and ds was born on his due date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now