Talk

Advanced search

Strep B

(10 Posts)
LikeACandleButNotQuite Fri 19-Aug-11 23:26:34

Hi All,

Have tested positive for Strep B and though the MW advised against Googling, I did do it a little bit [shame]

Glad I did in a way, as I feel quite re-assured that its been picked up well in advance. The main concern I have is that I have been advised the baby will be monitored after the birth, up to 48 hours, and am worrying that s/he will be taken away for monitoring. Am so so keen to try breastfeeding and would like to keep the baby close to me in order to have a good shot at establishing it.

It may sound a bit mad to be worrying about this, but I hve visions of the LO showing no signs/symptoms and the MWs taking them away 'just incase'..... have NO experience of hospitals so really not sure how they will monitor LO confused

Can anyone help put my mind at rest?

Starshaped Sat 20-Aug-11 04:30:49

It was discovered that I had Strep B in labour, so DD and I were kept in for monitoring. This involved DD having various checks every few hours (blood tests, temperature, pulse taken etc). DD was never taken anywhere away from my bedside - the midwives and doctors did all the tests by the bed when I was there. It didn't stop us breastfeeding, in fact the staff were really supportive and helped me to get BF established.

Luckily monitoring showed DD was Strep B negative, so she didn't need any antibiotics and we were discharged after three days smile

PotteringAlong Sat 20-Aug-11 08:50:38

Hi! I'm due in nov and have also tested positive (I also googled having been told not too!).

From what I've read on here policy changes quite a lot between areas but I've been told that we'll stay in with a private room and the baby can stay with me as longvas they show no sign of infection. Like starshaped, they've said we'll need 3 days in hospital.

I got given an NHS leaflet by my midwife that was really helpful - have you got it?

LikeACandleButNotQuite Sat 20-Aug-11 09:38:04

Ooh, no, but am only 23weeks, so plety of time to see her and get it. Am glad to hear!

essexmumma Sat 20-Aug-11 09:44:31

I tested positive for strep b before going into labour and my DD was always at my bedside. I had IV anti-biotics throughout labour and then we were monitored after closely and released after 48 hours. My DD was checked over lots but no blood tests or anything.

I was so glad they found out before! You will be finegrin

RegLlamaOfBrixton Sat 20-Aug-11 12:20:14

I tested positive for strep b early in pregnancy so received the IV antibiotics in labour. DS was never taken away from me for tests, and he was only monitored for 24 hours (no private room either!). One thing though, I wasn't prewarned that he had to have some kind of sample taken from his stomach and I was asked to wait until after this was done before I could feed him, so if they're going to do this one, ask them to do it asap so you get going with breastfeeding.

LaLaLaLayla Sat 20-Aug-11 12:23:52

I had Strep B and was still able to have a home birth. They gave me an injection at the start of labour and that was the end of it.

However, I wanted to take this opportunity to remind people of the seriousness of Strep B. I have two friends whose babies have died shortly after birth because of it. The latest one was just a few weeks ago.

MrsVidic Sat 20-Aug-11 18:27:02

hi my dd is 2 weeks old and i tested positive.
they couldnt give anti biotics in labour as i was only in kabour 1.5 hours so they told me they would keep us in to monitor. The m/w and peadiatricuan were in disagreement weather to give dd anti biotics anyway so I went with the peads advice and she got them- they took her 30 mins midday and midnight- did not affect breastfeeding. They did all monitoring bedside- which didnt bother her one bit.

She is now a milk guzzler and bfeeding is going well

Raven78 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:53:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Sun 21-Aug-11 23:49:13

Thanks all for the first hand experience. Am assuming as soon as labour starts / waters break, ill have to head straight to hospital. Was hoping t labour a bit at home, but understand how important it is to get enough anti-b's.

Thanks to all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now