Talk

Advanced search

Genital Herpes

(4 Posts)
cluelessaboutthis Fri 19-Aug-11 17:06:48

I contracted herpes from my first boyfriend when I was 17. That initial outbreak was awful; terribly painful, slept for a week etc. I've had a few minor outbreaks very infrequently and I'm now 29.

Anyway, I'm now thinking about trying for a baby but am terrified because I don't fully understand the implications of being pregnant/giving birth vaginally or CS... could anyone with knowledge of herpes spell out the risks please?

Also, if I've posted this in the wrong place please do tell me, I've never posted on here before.

Many thanks

5littleducks Fri 19-Aug-11 17:21:27

Hi,

I don't know a great deal about it but I have often seen inaccurate advice about it given on this website. AKAIK the risk to the baby is greatest if you suffer a first episode towards the end of pregnancy or at the time of birth - in these circumstances a CS would probably be advised.

In your situation, you might be advised to take antivirals during the end of the pregnancy to avoid an outbreak but you might not need to. You may or may not be advised to have a CS if you have an outbreak at the time of delivery.

Try not to worry about it too much - at your first appointment with the midwife, she will go through your medical history in painstaking/mindnumbing detail. Tell her then and she will advise you appropriately. I'm sure it's very common.

If you are very concerned why don't you make an appointment with your GP to discuss it to put your mind at rest?

Good luck TTC!

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 19-Aug-11 17:24:49

Agree you need to talk to your mw. You could leave a message at gps and see if she can give you a call.

I believe, but could be totally wrong, that if having an outbreak it would mean a csection. I don't know if you are more likely to have outbreaks when pg. I have cold sores and defo have had more when pg.

5littleducks Fri 19-Aug-11 17:27:56

From website of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists

^Will I need a caesarean delivery?
Most women with genital herpes will have a normal vaginal birth.^

^If you were infected with genital herpes before you became pregnant, you will not need a caesarean delivery.
If you develop genital herpes for the first time in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy, you will be offered a planned caesarean delivery.
If you get a recurrent episode of genital herpes at the onset of labour, you will not normally need a caesarean delivery. Your doctor or midwife will discuss this with you to help you decide how you would like your baby to be born.^

http://www.rcog.org.uk/genital-herpes-pregnancy-information-for-you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now