Talk

Advanced search

Exclusion factors for MLU - previous PPH

(4 Posts)
Supersunnyday Wed 17-Aug-11 19:13:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tangle Wed 17-Aug-11 19:22:13

Do you know why you had a PPH? In my notes it says I had a PPH after DD1 - which is technically correct - but in my case the MW is sure that the blood was coming from a tear rather than from the placental site. As such, I'm not really at increased risk of a PPH (and I'll fight anyone that says I am). If you're not clear on where your PPH came from it might be worth requesting a copy of the notes from your last labour (contact PALS at the unit/PCT where your DS was born) as that should help clarify things.

Otherwise, you loose nothing by talking to them - it might not be a problem, and if it is you can ask them to explain why a marginal PPH would cause you to be excluded. Is the MLU on the same site as a CLU? If so they've even less reason not to let you in. Depending on how you feel about things you might consider telling your HCP's that you don't intend to birth at the CLU so if they won't accept you at the MLU you'll be planning a home birth, in which you expect your full support. If they're supportive of a HB it begs the question of why they then won't let you in the MLU - and if they're not they might suddenly decide the MLU would welcome you after all...

Supersunnyday Wed 17-Aug-11 22:20:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Poppet45 Fri 19-Aug-11 18:25:42

Super, I'm planning a VBAC in a MLU after a labour quite similar to yours. Only my DS never descended far enough for forceps so after a good labour, then no urge to push whatsoever (which is a classic symptom of a malpositioned babe I know now), 2 and 1/2 hour pushing stage and a section I had a 1300ml PPH. This was technically a major PPH but I used the logic that my odds of this happening again are tripled with a successful VBAC, quadrupled with a planned section and up 9 times for an emcs so I need as much medical support as I can have to have a normal labour. And for me that means MLU. I had an atonic uterus - this is common after a long long pushing stage, especially if the baby is stuck. DS was unbirthable in something called deep transverse arrest. The mws and my consultant have agreed to this, and most have said my bleed was to do with the prolonged stage two followed by a section. I won't be allowed a prolonged pushing stage this time - which frankly is just fine by me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now