Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Born in a caul

(20 Posts)
Paulette44 Wed 17-Aug-11 16:31:51

There was a previous thread on this but can't find it.

I find this very interesting as my third Grandchild was born in a caul and it is supposed to be lucky also the child is supposed to have special powers.
I think my Grandson who is 4 now is very lucky as his father was carrying him downstairs when he was only a few months old he slipped and my Grandson flew out of his arms 9 rolled down 9 steps bumping down each one and banged his head at the bottom on a wooden floor. We feared the worst his head came up at the back in a huge lump. We called the ambulance and he had to go into hospital for X Rays and observation, he had a fracture but thankfully seemed otherwise unharmed, we thought if he lived he would be brain dead.
He is a very sensitive loving little boy, and we think he is very special. He charms everyone who meets him. I fell and broke my hip in January and he was my Guardian angel so protective standing with his back against doors till I walk through, and really waiting on me hand and foot. He has even had dreams about me standing at the top of a flight of stairs and woke his brother up shouting BE CAREFUL NANNA. He is really cute with blue eyes and blond curls.
I am aware that every Nan thinks their Grandchildren are special but he is very different from his brother and sister, also very observant and comes out with things you would never expect a child from a child his age.
A clairevoyant has told my daughter her youngest is going to be very clever.
He starts school in September so we will have to wait to find that out.
He has a little girlfrend at nursery who he adores and she him, the teachers have never seen anything like it. He kisses and hugs her every time they part as he does me and not satisfied with that has to go to the window to blow kisses and wave

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Wed 17-Aug-11 16:37:56

It's lovely that you obviously adore your grandson. But it's nothing to do with being born in his sack.

PotteringAlong Wed 17-Aug-11 16:47:06

It is great that you adore your grandson so much, but I worry about the statement "he is very different from his brother and sister " not because I think they should be the same, all children are and should be individuals, even when they are very much alike (if you see what I mean), but because it looks line you are singling him out for adoration which might, ultimately, lead to a let down for you, a feeling from him that he can't live up to expectations or, more wirryingly, a feeling from your other GC that they are second best...

1944girl Wed 17-Aug-11 17:37:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paulette44 Wed 17-Aug-11 20:18:09

This is the original thread if anyone is interested in being born in a caul
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/920831-Anyone-else-39-s-baby-born-with-a-caul/AllOnOnePage

Paulette44 Wed 17-Aug-11 20:19:26

The link won't work for me though, looks like you may have to copy and paste into your browser

RealityVonCrapp Wed 17-Aug-11 20:23:26

Geepers Wed 17-Aug-11 20:25:38

My twins were both born in their cauls. I had never thought about it being lucky really, although had heard the old wives tale before. FWIW my babies are VERY lucky - born very early but survived unscathed, virtually unheard of for twins born at their gestation I believe.

greensnail Wed 17-Aug-11 20:29:19

My brother was born in the caul. He's been very successful in his career and had never drowned. Don't think anyone has thrown him down the stairs so don't knowabout that bit.

Malvapoeding Wed 17-Aug-11 20:32:09

DD2 was born in her caul - she is very troublesome! Can I blame it on that? She is also too smart for her own good!

BertieBasset Wed 17-Aug-11 20:42:37

dd2 was born in her waters - only 9 weeks old so we will see how lucky she is! She is certainly very bright though wink

Made for a very quick easy labour for me - so maybe I was the lucky one.

Malvapoeding Wed 17-Aug-11 20:45:56

Bertie - A quick labour here too. DD2 is only 15 months and already she is more trouble than a barrel full of monkeys! I just need something to pin it on as DD1 is a quiet contemplative child who's waters went 7 hours before she was born.

oldsilver Wed 17-Aug-11 20:46:40

My granpa was a caul bearer - he was a very special man. When he died we sold his caul to a crew from a trawler for a fair bit of money. Not just safe from drowning but able to find fish. Also kingly of nature and leaders apparently. May all be codswallop but what the hell.

ginmakesitallok Wed 17-Aug-11 20:46:49

Am grin that you are so optimistic to think that falling down stairs and fracturing his skull was lucky......

LynetteScavo Wed 17-Aug-11 20:53:06

I knew someone whos baby suffered a fractured skull after being dropped down the stairs. He was fine. She never mentioned he was born in the caul though.

I really feel for your other grandchildren, Paulette44. Just because they may not have curly blond hair, and blue eyes and be really into hugs and kisses, doesn't mean they aren't really, really special children.

And do you have to wait until a child starts school to know they are clever? confused

LynetteScavo Wed 17-Aug-11 20:54:54

So, if the midwife wants to break your waters, shout "No, I need my DC to have special powers!"

RealityVonCrapp Wed 17-Aug-11 20:59:48

TastyMuffins Wed 17-Aug-11 21:03:44

That's exactly right Lynette, the midwives just do it so they can steal the special power.

ginmakesitallok Wed 17-Aug-11 21:05:55

no TastyMuffins - they used to sell them to sailors to buy biscuits, but times being as they are now most of the SCBUs in the UK are at least 50% funded through e-bay caul sales....

Paulette44 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:33:21

Just to say I don't favour my little Grandson and treat them all the same as they are all special to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now