Talk

Advanced search

Waters breaking???

(10 Posts)
Sargesaweyes Wed 17-Aug-11 12:23:04

Can anyone explain to me how I would know that I am leaking amniotic fluid. 39 weeks and for the last couple of days have felt damp down there but not soaked. Then I won't have any damp feeling for a while. This is all so confusing i'm driving myself mad!!!

supadupapupascupa Wed 17-Aug-11 12:28:20

sniff it, if it smells sweet it could be fluid.

also fluid tends to 'pool' if you lay down and gushes when you stand

hth

Imnotaslimjim Wed 17-Aug-11 12:31:22

Supa is right, lie down with your feet raised for an hour or so. If you get a gush (even a small one) when you stand, its likely amniotic. If not, you've probably just got increased discharge. I had it for the last couple of weeks, went through a pack of panty liners in 3 days at one point!

Sargesaweyes Wed 17-Aug-11 12:35:23

Does smell sweet. No gushing. Just feels damp and drippy. I can't believe I now spend my day touching my bits and my knickers in the hope something is happening. smile If it is fluid it isn't a great deal so can it still be an infection risk? This is my first and I am clueless.

Sargesaweyes Wed 17-Aug-11 12:36:20

Legs are now in the air

Kimmie30 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:25:21

Hahaha this made me giggle as i have been a constant knicker checker this whole bloody pregnancy!!!

greyfurrybaby Wed 17-Aug-11 20:12:04

Please ring your midwife and get checked out. If it is amniotic fluid then there is a risk of infection. I was leaking for 24 hours before I got checked out and it turns out mine had broken. I was booked for a home birth and so midwife's left me to it but I had to check my pulse and temperature every 2 hours. I was booked in to be induced about 56 hours after I first noticed the leaking but when into labour naturally with a few hours to spare.
If it isn't your waters then don't worry, it won't be the first time your midwife has seen it.

Sargesaweyes Wed 17-Aug-11 22:34:27

I think it might be discharge as no gushing. I have the midwife tomorrow luckily so will get it checked. The whole thing is very confusing!! Thanks for the tips.

dietcokenoice Thu 18-Aug-11 12:05:25

if baby's head is engaged quite deeply in your pelvis, it can act almost like an ill fitting plug, so if your waters have broke it can sometimes be more of atrickle tha a gush. try emptying your bladder first, could also be a bit of stress incontinence, then go and lie down on your left side for about 30 mins, if your waters have broke they will continue to trickle, but will pool, when you stand up you may get a bit of a gush. i would give you hospital a ring for advice, good luck x

Sargesaweyes Thu 18-Aug-11 16:01:00

Midwife today said that head is deeply engaged but thinks that it is prob a heavy discharge as pad would be very wet and feel heavy and full if it was waters. Basically just said to ring the labour ward if worried and booked me in for a sweep next week. Was kind of hoping she might have had a look today but she said that they legally can't until past due date. Bit annoying and bulshitty so just going to monitor sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now