Talk

Advanced search

Stoke Mandeville v Watford General: any views / reviews?

(6 Posts)
MockCroc Mon 15-Aug-11 17:07:27

Hi
I am a first timer and need to choose which hospital to book into. I'm new to the area and don't know any new mums so if you've had a baby in one of these two hospitals during the last year I'd be really grateful to know what you think. If you have a horror story I'd be grateful if you would sanitise it for me though because I am a big enough of a scaredy cat about all this as it is!
Many thanks for your help!!
MC

BagofHolly Mon 15-Aug-11 17:24:22

Watford has the option of private rooms and private delivery if you want too, on the very lovely Knutsford Suite. SM doesn't.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Tue 16-Aug-11 06:22:27

Not been to SM had both my DC at Watford. DS was born in the ABC 2 months ago and I'm actually very glad I gave birth there depite having no choice in the matter as the staff were great.

Alexandra Birthing Centre (ABC) is the midwife led unit, so no epidurals, spinal blocks etc. It's only an option if you have a complications free pregnancy and a clear medical history. I wanted to have DC2 there but couldn't as I once had a seizure aged 11 years old so it "wasn't safe" to give birth there hmm I however got my wish when DS's head appeared and it was ABC or give birth in the lift to the delivery suite!

If you think you'll meet the criteria I'd ask your MW about the ABC if I were you. Even though I found DS's birth rather traumatic it was still loads better than when I had DD 4 years ago on delivery suite upstairs before being transferred to the Katherine Ward afterwards. Have never been inside the Knutsford Suite but the pictures look nice grin

VeronaH Tue 16-Aug-11 16:32:55

i am booked into watford,i have booked the knutsford suite for after delivery, i asked a while ago about reviews on watford but didnt get much back so hopefully thats a positive thing. the treatment i have had so far at watford has been fine so am hoping delivery will be a positive experience. i am due this weekend so hopefully will be able to fill you in better after that smile

Fuzzywood Tue 16-Aug-11 16:38:34

Whereabouts are you mock? SM and Watford are quite a distance from each other. I had DS 6 months ago in the Midwife led UNit in High Wycombe, would that be an option? Highly recommend it if it is. Same provisos as above about a MLU though i.e. no epidurals etc. Really relaxed atmosphere there and the midwives were fab. If complications did arise though you would be transferred to SM by ambulance. Couple of friends of mine had theirs at SM and said it was fine, not brilliant but a not horrible. Good luck whatever you decide.

MockCroc Tue 16-Aug-11 18:01:40

Thank you everyone, that's really helpful. I'm in Berkhamsted so there's nowhere really convenient. The third option I was given was Luton & Dunstable but it's quite a drive away and I think I would find that quite scary.
It sounds like people have good things to say about both, which is reassuring and both the ABC and the Knustford Suite at Watford sound worth investigating.
Good luck with your imminent arrival Verona grin. So exciting for you!
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now