Talk

Advanced search

anyone else broken their coccyx

(6 Posts)
ALotToTakeIn Sun 14-Aug-11 18:27:42

I broke my coccyx a few years ago and it healed at a right angle so it basically points forwards and doesn't have any flexibility. At yoga the other day she got out her plastic pelvis and showed how how the sacrum and coccyx move up and back to allow the baby through- but I know mine can't move like that.

So has anyone else delivered just fine with the same issue? I'm just a bit worried.

MissingMySleep Sun 14-Aug-11 23:26:03

i broke mine years before children, but i have no idea how it healed - ie straight or angled. Had two kids since but it did hurt during pregnancy. And after......

It might be worth checking this out with physio if you can. My 2nd baby pretty much shot out and the occyx injury was massively reinflamed. I guess got a bit bashed in delivery. 6 years since last birth and its settled down, aches if I sit on a hard chair for any length of time tho (weddings are not fun)

MojitoTime Sun 14-Aug-11 23:40:55

I think I might have done this but I never had it confirmed (fell whilst drunk from a height onto a pavementgrin). I remember being in lots of pain at the time and couldn't get up for about 10 minutes. So I'm guessing I probably did break it?
I delivered naturally, but I guess I'll never know if it made a difference. It hurts more since giving birth tho.

LondonGirly Tue 16-Aug-11 20:54:39

I damaged mine 2 years ago. I spoke to my mw today about it, I am 25 weeks and coccyx pain is getting worse again. She is going to arrange a consultant appointment for me to discuss options. If it gets worse, she has suggested being referred for physio. She has also said I should not consider giving birth without an epi.
This is my first, so can't say on the labour side.

Would be interested to hear how others have got on.

alottotakein when are you due?

Boosaphena Tue 16-Aug-11 22:35:09

I broke mine 7 years ago. I think I did it damage during birth of dd 3.5 yrs ago, but I was made to lie on back and ended up with forceps. Had ds 17 months ago in water and no damage to it at all. Didn't even notice it.

cardamomginger Tue 16-Aug-11 23:51:09

If possible I'd recommend getting input from an orthopaedic surgeon about whether you may have problems delivering vaginally. I'm assuming you're pregnant so they wouldn't be able to do an MRI or x-ray, but they might still be able to comment, particularly if you have copies of any previous scans you can show them. Mine was fine pre-childbirth but I damaged it and badly bruised my pelvic girdle during childbirth. Don't want to alarm you, but it's not been pleasant sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now