Talk

Advanced search

Anybody who has had or attempted a hospital VBAC, would you mind answering some questions?

(26 Posts)
SaulGood Sun 14-Aug-11 13:17:59

I had a pretty miserable time first time round. Attempted homebirth, protracted labour, 8hr second stage, emergency transfer, ventouse, episiotomy, manual rotation (all to no avail) and finally an emcs. DD was in deep transverse arrest and unbirthable.

I'm attempting a vbac this time...

I'd like as much info as possible really but also have some specific questions.

At what point did you go in? Earlier or later than you would have done had it not been a vbac?

How much of the hospital procedure did you consent to (cfm, canula etc)?

Did you have an epidural?

How was it managed? How often did you see a midwife/obstetrician throughout labour? Who delivered the baby?

How long did they 'allow' for the 2nd stage?

If any of you had a malpositioned baby the first time round, did the same thing happen again?

Did you have any pain around the scar at all?

How long did you stay in afterwards?

Did anybody find it a 'healing' process? Did it bring the 1st birth/cs flooding back? Did you panic at any point and what caused it?

Any other info gratefully received. Anything you regret? Anything that really helped?

I'd also be interested to know if it 'felt' different. When in labour with dd I sort of knew she was never coming out, right from the beginning. I had no urge to push and it all just felt futile. I felt like I was working against my body, not with it iyswim. Always wondered if this was because I instinctively knew something wasn't right. In a normal vaginal birth, do you feel things like the baby moving down or a change in how your body's responding? I just felt assaulted by the whole thing and in a completely unproductive way.

Poppet45 Sun 14-Aug-11 19:21:20

Bump.

Wormshuffler Sun 14-Aug-11 19:36:23

Hi I attempted a VBAC. First labour, 27 hours, back to back, DD didn't come down to pelvis even when fully dilated.

At what point did you go in? Earlier or later than you would have done had it not been a vbac?

At the same point as first Labour, as soon as contractions started as our hospital is over an hour away

Everything

Yes after 6 hours

How was it managed? How often did you see a midwife/obstetrician throughout labour? Who delivered the baby?

I didn't feel any difference between first and second labours as far as how many midwives/doctors we saw. In fact I didn't see a doctor until it was decided second labour was to be exactly the same as first, with head not descending.

Well I was told prior to agreeing VBAC that I would only labour for 6 hours, however when the 6 hours were up and I queried it they said I wasn't in "proper labour" so didn't count those! all in all I was contracting for 10 hours before getting to 8 cm with the same senario as first birth. Head was so high they couldn't even risk breaking my waters.

If any of you had a malpositioned baby the first time round, did the same thing happen again?

Yes both back to back and failed to descend

No

3 Nights

Did anybody find it a 'healing' process? Did it bring the 1st birth/cs flooding back? Did you panic at any point and what caused it?

I was glad I tried, as now I know there was nothing I could have done to alter the outcome of first birth, which I had felt such a failure for.

Any other info gratefully received. Anything you regret? Anything that really helped?

Keep an open mind, just because mine ended the same way both times you could be lucky, and home with your baby sooner. smile Best of luck.

franke Sun 14-Aug-11 19:53:52

Left it as long as poss. But still only about 5cm when we arrived.

They didn't do cfm, just sporadic. I said no to everything including internals and episiotomy.

Yes, stupidly. It was my own fault for not agreeing to internals. If i'd known I was nearly 10cm I wouldn't have had one.

Continuous care from midwife, delivered by doctor (we're in Germany).

Can't remember, but they hooked up a drip to enhance the pushing contractions. If I hadn't had the epidural this probably wouldn't have been necessary.

Not as bad but still slightly back to back.

Yes, a bit of soarness which I pointed out at the time. It wasn't anything but I think it was important to point it out.

DC came out at 6am, we were home by lunchtime.

Definitely healing for me. Probably panicked at transition, but didn't know what it was, then had epidural.

Well I certainly regret having the epidural. What helped was that dh was very well primed so I said no to whatever once, then he carried on the discussion on my behalf while I got on with labouring.

I went on to have another vbac 4 years later - 5 hour labour, no drugs, home again after a few hours. Still bloody hurt though grin

I think what helped me, particularly with my first vbac was shifting mentally from "I will achieve this vbac, whatever it takes" to "I'm going to give it a go, if it doesn't work out, at least I know I tried".

SaulGood Sun 14-Aug-11 20:01:23

Thank you for the responses, they're really helpful. Forgot one question:

Did anybody just sneeze the baby out whilst still asleep?

And thanks for the bump poppet (I suspect you know who I am grin).

franke Sun 14-Aug-11 20:10:56

<Puts hand up> Me, I did.

<Puts hand down again> Oh no sorry, it wasn't me, I forgot, it was someone else.

grin

Islandgirllk Sun 14-Aug-11 20:25:33

I had a wonderful vbac last Sept. 24 hours of labour from very start to end. 1 hour 30 mins in hospital, stayed at home til I was climbing the walls. When I got to hospital I was 5 cm. Took me 30 mins to get from 5cm to 10cm (on my hands and knees on the bed). An hour of pushing and out she came. Did loads of yoga at home from first pains. Gas and air in hospital only. Was monitored but with handheld device, no cannula (at my request). So different from my planned CS 4 years before. Healing - yes mentally. No pain in my scar. She was born at midnight and I was home at noon the next day.
So proud of myself after and just overjoyed that I had done it all myself with no interference, no doctors, just me, DP, my Mum and the midwife. When she was put on me as she was delivered, she stayed there for an hour, not washed/wiped/weighed - nothing, just cuddles - It was utterly amazing!

Good luck. All pregnancies are different, always follow your gut feeling on things. Don't be disheartened if you have to have another CS though, you will have a beautiful baby at the end.

Zimbah Sun 14-Aug-11 20:55:13

Not sure if this will be helpful or not as my first DD was ELCS for breech, so I hadn't got any previous labour experience prior to VBAC.

- At what point did you go in? Earlier or later than you would have done had it not been a vbac?

The same I think - the hospital asked me to come in when contractions were 3 in 10, which surprised me as I thought they'd want me in earlier. In the event I went in when contractions were 2 in 10 as I needed some pain relief, even though midwives on phone wanted me to stay at home for longer. Good thing I didn't as I was 10cm when examined an hour later.

- How much of the hospital procedure did you consent to (cfm, canula etc)?

No cannula, no cfm - the midwife held the monitor onto me for a period of time.

- Did you have an epidural?

No, just gas and air

- How was it managed? How often did you see a midwife/obstetrician throughout labour? Who delivered the baby?

Midwife stayed with me but I was only there an hour before pushing so she didn't really have time to leave. Midwife delivered baby, didn't see an obstetrician.

- How long did they 'allow' for the 2nd stage?

I pushed for 2.5 hours. My doula later told me she was impressed the midwife let me push for so long and shooed away her supervisor who kept knocking at the door to check on progress, so I think I was lucky I got that midwife. She was also fine with no cannula and no cfm, whereas the midwife who met me on arrival was pushing the cfm - thankfully she went off on shift change shortly after.

- Did you have any pain around the scar at all?

No

- How long did you stay in afterwards?

2 Nights, I stayed in longer as I had a third degree tear.

- Did anybody find it a 'healing' process? Did it bring the 1st birth/cs flooding back? Did you panic at any point and what caused it?

I was glad I managed to VBAC. I did panic about not coping but that was transition, obviously I didn't have any previous bad experiences that flashed up again. I wish I had known that I was in transition as it would have made it easier to cope.

- Any other info gratefully received. Anything you regret? Anything that really helped?

My doula was fantastic, I would really recommend having one if you can possibly afford it. Also when preparing for VBAC I was extremely worried about tearing and felt that if I ended up with a bad tear I would regret not having another ELCS. In the event I did tear badly and had to go for surgery afterwards (hello lovely spinal block!) but despite that I am still glad I did it. Not sure what I would do if I had another DC but we're not planning on a third.

MrsHoolie Sun 14-Aug-11 21:17:28

Hi.I have had two emcs.
First baby was malpositioned although second baby was in a good position.
Emcs's both due to 'failure to progress'. I only got to 4cm both times shock
My 2nd birth was at King's in London,they're very pro vbac (if that's what you want) and they said there was no need to go in to hospital early in labour,you can also have a water birth but I think this is unusual for a vbac in other hospitals.
They did say I would need a canula and cfm but I was ok with this.

I'm really glad I tried for the vbac and the section was way better than the first time for many reasons.

If I hadn't have tried I would have thought 'what if'?

wasabipeanut Sun 14-Aug-11 21:52:06

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it first time round. I had a similar experience with my DS. My home birth never got off the ground as waters leaked a bit but I didn't go into labour. My cervix was still rock hard and pointing backwards but I was induced with a synto drip and, amazingly got to 8cm after around 10 hours where I remained for another 8. Emergency cs followed. I did however manage a straightforward vbac with DD just over 2 years later.

Earlier - I called them and they said because of my vbac I should go in. I delayed and faffed for as long as possible but I was progressing quite fast and although I was really scared my head said I needed to get a grip and go in.

How much of the hospital procedure did you consent to (cfm, canula etc)? I wasn't planning to consent to CFM but I was ok with the canula. In the event it didn't matter because when I went in I was only 2cm. My first reaction was "oh great, I can go home" but I was contracting quite strongly so they advised me to stay in but they put me in a "family" room for a couple of hours just to see how it went with the agreement that I could go home if it petered out.

Nope.

My waters broke about half an hour after I was examined and I went from 2cm to 9cm within about 3 hours. They pretty much left me alone and it was only when I told DH I needed to push that he got a midwife. They then obviously had a bit of a panic about the VBAC bit. I got bundled into a wheelchair and taken to a proper delivery room and all the monitoring, canula etc. went in. I didn't care and just sort of went somewhere else in my head. DD was born half an hour later.

Don't know how long they would have allowed but it was all fairly irrelevant in the end.

N/A

No

About 14 hours but that was because DD had a suspected clicky hip & positional talipes and we had to wait ages for a paediatrician.

For me it was very much a healing process. I was, to be honest, in utter denial when labour started and kept saying to DH "oh its just twinges" or "oh it's my hips playing up" etc. But, I knew, deep down I just knew that this baby was coming out. The thing is, once I got there and just got left to it, even though it pretty fast and frightening at times I could somehow cope because I knew by body had a job to do and it just felt like it was doing it. Because I could move around I managed to cope with the pain better. First time round I couldn't cope and had an epidural.

I think I was lucky with the timing - late on a Saturday night and crucially, I hit the start of a shift. The midwives left me alone and I get the feeling that if it was business hours or a different set of staff the outcome could have been very different. I will always remember the fab midwife that examined me initially, delivered my baby, stitched me up and even put jam on my toast afterwards!

No regrets obviously other than beating myself up for so long about my first birth. You have to prepare carefully for a VBAC. You need to believe that your body can do it but also accept that if it doesn't happen for any reason that it isn't your fault. Sometimes stuff just happens that we can't control. I was determined not to feel as if I had failed if it didn't work out for me.

I'd also be interested to know if it 'felt' different. When in labour with dd I sort of knew she was never coming out, right from the beginning. I had no urge to push and it all just felt futile. I felt like I was working against my body, not with it iyswim. Always wondered if this was because I instinctively knew something wasn't right. In a normal vaginal birth, do you feel things like the baby moving down or a change in how your body's responding? I just felt assaulted by the whole thing and in a completely unproductive waye

I understand your use of the word "assulted." I do feel that second time round that DD was in control tbh. She was coming out and no force on earth was going to stop it. I just had to let it happen. It still hurt like hell you understand, I swore more than I have ever sworn in my life and I roared her out but it still felt right.

Good luck with it all. Try to be positive but not at the cost of reality IYSWIM. Think about scenarios - what happens if you go overdue etc. Also, don't bother with a birth plan. Best of British <grin>

zdcgbjm Sun 14-Aug-11 21:55:04

I've had 2 VBACs now, so I'll answer for both.

1. I meant to go in at the same sort of time but it ended up being a very fast labour (2.5 hrs first twinge to delivery) so I messed up a bit and left it too late. I arrived fully dilated and feeling the urge to push.

2. Because of the previous labour I was told to come in at the first sign. In the event a trickle of waters. Contractions started in the car (4.5 hrs from first trickle to delivery this time).

1. No time for anything!

2. Let them get on with it.

1. No time.

2. Chose not to having managed without last time.

1. Had a mw who delivered the baby.

2. Had a mw throughout though shift change meant new mw 10 mins before delivery. I didn't mind, she seemed more experienced and confident anyway.

1. 30 mins then had an episiotomy as mw was worried about rupture. Baby shot out after that.

2. Only took 8 mins.

The Cs was the result of bad position but both the others were fine.

No.

1.10 hours.

2. Overnight due to meconium in waters.

The first one was healing, I was walking on air afterwards. The second I was just pleased it went well.

I wish I'd been prepared for a fast labour. I'd been so sure it would go wrong it came as a real shock.

I'd also be interested to know if it 'felt' different. When in labour with dd I sort of knew she was never coming out, right from the beginning. I had no urge to push and it all just felt futile. I felt like I was working against my body, not with it iyswim. Always wondered if this was because I instinctively knew something wasn't right. In a normal vaginal birth, do you feel things like the baby moving down or a change in how your body's responding? I just felt assaulted by the whole thing and in a completely unproductive way.

It felt very different. The pain during labour with the VBACs was so much more bearable. Yes it still hurt but I never felt I couldn't cope with it. I felt, going for the second VBAC that I would know if it was going wrong by the level of pain. If I'd had the normal birth first I'd have known the Cs labour wasn't right.

Poppet45 Sun 14-Aug-11 21:58:49

Me? <<innocent face>> No seriously, great questions, I was interested too.
And don't you fret girlie we'll sneeze these babies out this time. Please... hmm

tinky19 Wed 17-Aug-11 12:56:51

This has been really useful to read as I'm hoping for a vbac in dec.
Can I just ask two stupid questions.
What is a canula?
What is cmf (i'm guessing its monitoring - is it where they put the bands round the bump?
Thanks

MrsHoolie Wed 17-Aug-11 13:51:20

A canula as the drip thing in your hand.
Yes the cmf is continuous feotal monitoring....those annoying bands that never stay on!

Dlamis Wed 17-Aug-11 14:30:37

- I was in hospital already as ds2 was threatening to come a few weeks early.

- Was 8cm dilated before I realised I was in labour (another story!) then paniced when I found out so canula/cfm were done by default which isn't what I'd wanted but that's just the way it went.

Did you have an epidural? -
- No

How was it managed? How often did you see a midwife/obstetrician throughout labour? Who delivered the baby? - I had obstetrician + at least one midwife until delivery but this may have been due to combination of vbac and prem baby.

- After about 40 minutes pushing baby was getting tired so they helped him out with ventouse.

If any of you had a malpositioned baby the first time round, did the same thing happen again? -
N/A

Did you have any pain around the scar at all? -
- No

- Ds2 born at 00.06am. I left hospital around 4.00pm. Could've gone earlier but they were too busy elsewhere to do discharge papers.

- Yes personally I found it very healing. With ds1 I had grade 4 placenta previa so knew I was having a c-section. Unfortunately it quite a traumatic crash section in the end, so being able to do it all naturally was very healing. I did panic in transition and said "I can't do it, just give me another section" which i laugh at now. What was i thinking!

I would say unless there are any particular reasons why you should be monitiored/observed etc, try to keep it to a minimum. I think with hindsight that fact that I didn't realise i was in labour (and not just severely constipated as i thought) meant that we dh and I were pretty much left alone by midwives etc to wander the corridors on our own and just relax and that really helped. I walked about freely, unhindered by monitoring, tubes etc and was able to hide in my cubicle/in the toilet in all sorts of weird positions that helped without feeling inhibited etc. I think the staying upright and mobile was really important. It was only when they discovered i was 8cm and everyone paniced and i ended up on my back on the bed that everything started to get more painful and unpleasant.

If I go on to have a dc3 I will be leaving it as long as possible before going in and insisting on staying in a more upright position for the delivery (assuming all goes to plan/no complications)

tinky19 Wed 17-Aug-11 14:48:33

Thanks
So the canula is a drip but what for? I mean what are they dripping into you? Sorry to be dense.

Poppet45 Wed 17-Aug-11 15:51:40

It's there as a just in case so it drips nothing initially. But they can use it to give you fluids quickly if you want an epidural (to prevent your bp falling through the floor) and also to give you drugs to help contract your uterus and deliver the placenta during the third stage - because there's a slight risk of a bigger bleed/more problems during this time in women who're having a VBAC than women having a 'normal' vaginal birth.

tinky19 Wed 17-Aug-11 15:55:40

Thanks. So does this mean you have to keep relatively still? Just having nightmares of not being allowed to move off the bed again having had induction drip last time.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 17-Aug-11 16:01:13

Baby 1 was an emergency section at 38 weeks after a scan picked up on a problem. I was 1cm dilated but not in labour.

At what point did you go in? Earlier or later than you would have done had it not been a vbac? With dc2 I went in about 2 hours after contractions started on the Friday night and was back and forth about 3 times. I went from 1cm-10cm extremely quickly. With dc3 I was told to go in as soon as we phoned due to previous section.

How much of the hospital procedure did you consent to (cfm, canula etc)? Had no options. Had to be on the monitor belt with both babies as soon as I started pushing.

Did you have an epidural? No.

How was it managed? How often did you see a midwife/obstetrician throughout labour? Who delivered the baby? Don';t remember seeing an ob either time. Saw m/w less with dc2 than expected. Never left without one with dc3. Midiwfe delivered dc2 and student midwife delivered dc3. That made her qualified.

How long did they 'allow' for the 2nd stage? I was allowed 8 hours to get baby 2 out once I had very close together contractions. WIth baby 2 I was allowed until10am which was 3 hours after arriving in hospital.

If any of you had a malpositioned baby the first time round, did the same thing happen again? n/a

Did you have any pain around the scar at all? can't remember with dc2 but nearly ruptured with dc3

How long did you stay in afterwards? DC2 was born SAt night and I went home Monday afternoon. I had to push for that as they wanted me to stay 48 hours after birth due to retained placenta. DC3 and I went home less about 6 hours after he was born.

Did anybody find it a 'healing' process? Did it bring the 1st birth/cs flooding back? Did you panic at any point and what caused it? I am proud I did it and pleased I experienced a normal delivery. I didn't panic even when baby wasn't breathing as I knew there wasn't anything I could do but push him out.

Any other info gratefully received. Anything you regret? Anything that really helped? Give birth up on your knees.

Pishwife Wed 17-Aug-11 22:53:08

Perhaps not quite what you were after, but I was all set for a VBAC, had my heart set on it even, but developed pre-eclampsia & some liver trouble, so ended up with another section one day over my due date.

It was actually a very beautiful experience, I was more present, more assertive & I felt it healed me from the trauma of my first section, which was awful. I was surprised to find that I didn't have the feelings of failure as before - I felt instead like a warrior who had faced her worst fear & come out winning.

I posted the full story on MN a few years ago under a previous name when I was a bit more active here. PM me if you'd like a link.

Good luck!

Pishwife Wed 17-Aug-11 22:55:56

Also my 1st was transverse breech, but my 2nd was in perfect LOA on the day of the section. I went to a really helpful workshop which covered optimum foetal positioning - again, happy to send details via PM.

Poppet45 Fri 19-Aug-11 21:23:18

Tinky: I'm not sure. I had a cannula at the end just before my section so don't know if it would restrict you much if you had it in during labour. I don't think it would - although it can make moving your hand and wrist more painful, and I'm fairly sure they wouldn't want you in the birth pool or bath with one in, but I don't think it would stop you walking or bouncing on a birth ball unless you actually had to have the drip attached to it. Even then they can try to help you move.

Backinthebox Mon 22-Aug-11 00:07:45

SaulGood is it you again? wink If it is, you know all about my VBAC, from start to sneeze.

I refused routine CFM and cannula when I had my hospital assessment appointment, but acknowledged that I would accept them if an abnormal situation arose that indicated their use. No time scales were put on anything. I did not have an epidural. I had an IM, which was useful as ds was sneezed out at home quite by accident. I felt no pain through my scar, although I initially mistook 'no breaks between contractions' for 'constant discomfort in scar area.' IM reassured me otherwise. Baby was very malpositioned first time, second time well positioned but had hand by face. This lead to a tear which needed stitching in hospital. I discharged myself at the end of the day after the fecking useless annoying doctor wouldn't let me go concerned staff wanted to lovingly tend me themselves. If it had not been for the stitches I would not have gone in (or would have scarpered at the first opportunity if I had gone in.)

Hope that answers your questions. Yes, sneezes happen.

Jas Mon 22-Aug-11 00:20:55

I tend towards shorter labour, so called my friend to look after older kids as soon as signs of labour and went in an hour later when she arrived.

Canula - yes (cs was a crash section so didn't want to be wasting time if it was needed again)
cfm - yes in theory, but unplugged myself whenever I wanted, and was able to stay mobile even with the wires on.

No. I would never had one and was very clear that if another cs became necessary it would have to be under a general anaesthetic. (I have problems with my back which may have made an epidural difficult and was not prepared to try it out.)

DS was delivered in the theatre with a ventouse 2 hrs after I arrived at hospital. When I arrived I was in very early labour and the staff were expecting me to go home and come back the next day.
I saw the dr only when moved to the theatre at 2nd stage.
M/w - I have no idea! It was 5 yrs ago, sorry.

I had one push to see babys head, then ventouse on second push and he was born. Not sure how long he would have been allowed as he was already showing signs of distress.

N?A

Did you have any pain around the scar at all? No

How long did you stay in afterwards? 6 hours

No - I was never upset by the cs as I was very clear that it was medically necessary to save my dds life. (which it did) No panic

I have three children and my first was an uneventful vaginal delivery. I felt no different in my second labour, or my third.I never felt an urge to push in any of them (did get into 2nd stage with dd2)
It is very personal though so may not be any help at all. Good luck

Honeydragon Mon 22-Aug-11 00:47:32

I stayed at home as long as possible. My waters broke at 7.30am and I went into hospital at 1pm and had dd at 5pm. I waited until my contractions were properly established, and believe this helped me hugely.

I had / consented to cfm/cannula. But I insisted on trying for the birthpool and insisted on being mobile through monitoring when I saw the consultant, he spoke to MW and they agreed to both.

Other than the pool I had not pain relief at all for my VBAC, didn't feel the need.

My MW was with me throughout, a second was brought in when I was pushing, but she stayed well out the way. The consultant popped in as they were chuffed with how I was doing, but I asked her to leave and she obliged grin
I delivered in the water and the MW scooped her straight into my arms. twas awesome.

I hit transition pretty much when I got into the birth suite at 2.00/2.15pm, they were filling the pool whilst I was going through so tbh I can't say as I was in the pool from about 2.30. I say my 2nd stage was about 40 minutes before I wanted to push all in.

Yes first, hence ecs. Nope for vbac.

Not any at all.

They would've discharged me straight away but they were so busy it wouldn't have been till 11pm. So dh left pretty quickly and picked up ds from my parents and I stayed over, They did all my paperwork so I left at 9.30 am. But I sat in bed in the moonlight with a foot of snow glistening outside looking at dd and thinking "Wow, are we amazing, or what?"

No panic at all. I knew what I had to do this time iyswim? And I'd read loads of threads on here like this, so I knew I could do it. I'd accepted te possibility of a section and was ok with it. But as each phase passed I knew I could do it.

I won't lie. It was an amazing birth and it certainly gave me a closure I honestly didn't know I had needed, but I had no flashbacks. I knew from my previous, much more traumatic birth, that I was getting something wonderful at the end grin

In fact the only panic was when dh asked the midwife how long pushing could take (twunt hmm ) and the MW replied " oooh as it's like a first time birth it could be hours" (mw forgiven she had to catch the baby). Well that did it! I pushed her out in under 20 minutes! Oh yes <punches air>

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now