Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had to be restitched post birth?

(8 Posts)
Junebugjr Thu 11-Aug-11 17:14:43

Had dd2 3 months ago, and had a minor 2nd degree tear that was mainly the skin.

I still have not healed although it's not infected and have what my doctor calls a small superficial wound in the perineum just below my vaginal opening, which isn't healing for some reason. Btw, I'm taking sitz baths and airing the area daily. She has now referred me to look at being restitched.

Has anyone been in this situation and how long did it take to heal afterward? There are no other issues, continence wise, and my pelvic floor muscles are good.

Junebugjr Thu 11-Aug-11 17:17:57

Sorry forgot to put - and how much would it cost to go private- if anyone has.

first1 Thu 11-Aug-11 18:29:49

Yes I had a full restitch at Parkside private hospital in London. It cost £1600 which included a daycase room, consultant abs anaesthetist fees. Consultant's pre and post op consultations were £150 each. Hope all goes ok for you.

first1 Thu 11-Aug-11 18:30:41

Abs = and! Sorry typing on iPhone whilst holding dd blush

breatheslowly Thu 11-Aug-11 19:31:14

Yes - following infection. Mine had quite a bit of muscle involvement too (I had an episiotomy which tore further, so my scar goes out quite a long way). Unfortunately the surface stitches of the restitch split so it took about 2 months to heal until it was comfortable to sit down and move around properly. I also needed physio. I went privately too and it cost about the same as first1 said. It was a daycase under general. My consultant said I would just be able to get on as normal afterwards, but actually it was pretty painful. I think perhaps it was worse than yours would be from the sound of your tear. My consultant was able to give me an estimate as to how long it would take for the wound to heal on its own by secondary intention compared to a restitch to help me to decide whether it was worth having a restitch. Given that I had muscle to restitch too, even if I had left it to heal up I would have needed some sort of surgery to bring the muscle back together. Good luck.

BobbieSox Thu 11-Aug-11 19:44:56

Yes, I had it done on the NHS - I had severe 2nd degree tear and it grew back with 'granulation tissue' which basically meant I had a lump of extra flesh which was rubbing and being sore/bleeding.

Was given choice of whether to have GA or Gas and Air, obviously went for the general anaesthetic as was awful having first round of stiches with just gas and air. Healed up pretty well ( although I admit I've never looked, but feels okay). Think it happened within about 6 weeks of when I first went to GP, was quickly referred to gynae unit, then op within 3/4 weeks I think ( was last year).

Good luck, do persevere and get it sorted, I was worried I wouldn't be taken seriously, especially as I left it 6 months or so but it was all good.

glitternanny Fri 12-Aug-11 20:23:00

My sil got hers done for the third time on Monday sad poor love, her first born is 6months old.

louisianna Fri 12-Aug-11 20:31:41

I had to be cut and restitched under general 20 weeks post birth. Won't go into details but I was in a lot of pain - stitched too tight and had granulated tissue. Took me 3 visits to the doctor and floods of tears to get a referral back to gynae. All worth it now though. Pretty much back to normal after 2 weeks, fully ok after 4.

However, my friend didn't get a repair as although they agreed that she hadn't healed correctly, as she wasn't in pain they refused to fix it due to budget constraints - feel so sorry for her - they've told her she'll have to go private or live with it for the rest of her life. Just think it's absolutely disgusting. You might want to think about how you position your discomfort with the gynae - i.e. let them know how much it's upsetting you etc in order to get fixed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now