Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can you drink red bull in labour?

(10 Posts)
hostelgirl74 Tue 09-Aug-11 06:54:59

Can you drink red bull in labour or will the caffeine affect the baby? I am a first timer and am just wondering how i can get through it and how exhausted I will be. I have noticed some literature reccomends isotonic drinks - i presume this is stuff like lucozade. Do you think red bull is ok? I am trying to get whatever i can to help me - my pack already includes a hand held fan and a can of magicool!

sunndydays Tue 09-Aug-11 07:20:46

I wouldn't, it puts your blood pressure up, I think it is actually banned in some countries. You would be better with the sports drinks much better and won't cause you to 'crash' so much afterwards

QTPie Tue 09-Aug-11 07:55:27

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me either.... For either mother or baby.

hugeleyoutnumbered Tue 09-Aug-11 08:02:31

once everything gets going you wont want to drink anything that sweet or sticky,i stuck to water

Imnotaslimjim Tue 09-Aug-11 08:11:19

You'll be lucky if you can handle much more than water tbh, your body just gets on with it. Red bull isn't good for you when not pregnant, never mind during labour

If you feel you need anything, lucozade sport, and glucose tablets would be your best bet

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Tue 09-Aug-11 08:13:15

No but your dp might need it grin

uninspired Tue 09-Aug-11 08:14:42

Isnt it full of caffeine. I wouldn't tbh

BertieBotts Tue 09-Aug-11 08:18:21

Isotonic drinks are like the lucozade sport ones, in the sports bottle, non-fizzy. Don't get the fizzy ones (lucozade energy) as these won't keep you hydrated enough. Red bull works by using caffeine and taurine, rather than the slow release glucose found in isotonic sports drinks, so no I don't think it would be a good idea. It's also likely to make your bowels loose which wouldn't be much fun!

pugh Tue 09-Aug-11 22:57:39

No.

3mum Wed 10-Aug-11 21:17:17

I suspect you will find that adrenaline keeps you full of energy. I walked miles with my three births and at the time energy really was not a problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: