Talk

Advanced search

Birth preference advice.

(14 Posts)
nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 16:10:45

Don't like to call it a plan as I know from past experience that labour can't really be planned.
Didn't want to gatecrash other thread.
3rd baby 1st birth preference list.

so far I have:

Husband to be present at all times where possible. Happy for students to be present.

Wish to avoid induction for VBAC due to uterine rupture risks.
FHM- would prefer this not to be continual unless a problem is present.

Only wish to have entinox if VBAC.
Would like to be mobile during early stages of labour, happy for FHM but unless there is a problem would prefer not to be continual.

Prefer section if intervention assistance required. Strongly wish to avoid assisted vaginal birth if an assistance required.

Prefer injection for placenta delivery.

I have not refused and don't intend to refuse anything that is deemed necessary for the safety of me or my child, I just want to avoid certain procedures being carried out too early, as my hospital have very strict guidelines and timescales for VBAC, and whilst my labours progress very quickly I want to cover what I would prefer if any of the stages go over the hospital policy time if there isn't any problems if that makes sense.

Is there anything else I am missing? Or anything I should change in your opinion?

Thank you

RickGhastley Mon 08-Aug-11 16:17:18

Sounds like you have some good preferences but are open to other things should they be necessary - which I think is a good thing as you never know what could happen or how you feel at the time!

Have you any thoughts on epidural or pethadine?

Using water? Or is that not allowed when you have VBAC?

Baby delivered onto your chest or to DH or to be taken off and checked/ wrapped up first?

nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 16:19:34

I prefer not to have epidural or pethadine unless necessary for assisted birth or EMCS etc.

Unable to use water here with VBAC.

Will add in aboiut skin to skin I can't believe I missed that off blush

notcitrus Mon 08-Aug-11 16:47:15

Are you against a ventouse (gentle suction cup) or just forceps? Might be helpful to spell out what you mean by 'assistance' so they know that you know?

Are you happy for students to do any cutting or stitching that may be required - on the advice of MN I specified I was happy for students to be present but if any cuts or stitches were required I wanted an expert, and I think that was a great decision.

What about internal exams - would you like as few as possible, and would you need them lying on your side or anything?

nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 16:54:26

Would prefer no vaginal assistance, the box in the notes is tiny, this preference is mainly due to the fact that the hospital policy here is to allow only 1 hour pushing before they will vaginally assist the delivery, I don't want this to happen unless there is a cause not a worry of one if that makes sense, but box is so small only wanted to do bullet points. Would I be better doing seperate sheet of preferences and giving more details then?

Don't really have an objection to students cutting or stitching as I am guessing it will be supervised or is that me be optimistic?

Have no preferences with internals, if it wasn't for a what seemed like a ridiculous number with my last pregnancy by what appeared to be all the hospital staff even porters I am sure, then I would have been encouraged to carry on pushing even though it was causing more harm and distress to my son. So they can root up there as much as they like.

nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 16:55:46

*pregnancy should be labour sorry.

notcitrus Mon 08-Aug-11 17:22:24

I have no idea about supervision but my impression of the NHS is don't take anything for granted!
I was advised to do a sheet of A4 with idiot-proof bullet points and headings (basic info including allergies, labour and pain relief, postnatal, and stuff I wasn't fussed about) and it worked really well as the MWs just handed it to new staff telling them to read that and not worry about my notes!

Good luck!

nunnie Mon 08-Aug-11 18:15:04

Oh ok, I can do idiot proof and bullet points sheets, thank you for the advice.

Will maybe add something in about supervision of students if they are carrying out procedures and if unable to gurantee this then would prefer students observe only (does that sound ok)?

nunnie Tue 09-Aug-11 08:09:56

How does this look. The headings are bolder and underlined so they stand out more. Is there anything I should remove or add in your experience please novice list writer.

BIRTH PREFERENCES FOR VBAC

WHO WILL BE PRESENT
Husband (Matthew) to be present at all times where possible.
Happy for students to be present, would prefer full supervision if carrying out any procedures, if unable to guarantee this then would like them to observe only.
ASSESSMENTS DURING LABOUR
Wish to avoid induction due to increased risk of uterine rupture.
FM – would prefer this not to be continual unless a problem is present.
LABOUR
Only wish to have entonox for pain relief for VBAC.
Would like to be mobile during early stages of labour, happy for FM but unless there is a problem would prefer this not to be continual.
Strongly wish to avoid ventouse and forcep delivery would prefer section if there is an urgent need for intervention.
Under no circumstances are Kielland’s forceps to be used if intervention is required whilst the baby is in the upper/middle part of the birth canal then I would like a section to be preformed.
PLACENTA DELIVERY
After previous MROP in 2007 would prefer injection for placenta delivery, to be given straight after delivery of baby.
POST BIRTH
Skin to skin if possible, if I am unable to do this for whatever reason baby to go to Matthew for first cuddle as soon as possible after delivery.

nunnie Tue 09-Aug-11 19:28:28

Bump for my revised plan.

PinkFondantFancy Wed 10-Aug-11 11:30:50

I don't have any experience of writing these plans, but something I've seen added to other plans on other threads is details of where your OH is to go if you have to be away from the baby - whether he is to go with you or stay with the baby.

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 11:40:17

Ohh never even thought about that thank you, will add it on the end.

PinkFondantFancy Wed 10-Aug-11 11:46:56

You're welcome - seems only fair I add a bit of value since I'm planning on stealing most of your plan grin

nunnie Wed 10-Aug-11 11:50:15

Feel free smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now